The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Re-painting Panda Panels?
Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 2:58 pm    

Hey, guys!

I just acquired a fantastic-sounding pre-ward Rick B-6, but--as you can see--it's seen some wear n' tear.

Anybody have any advice for bringing this guy back to its former glory? I don't suppose it will be easy to match the color.

Thoughts/ideas much appreciated!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 27 May 2022 3:33 pm    

Actually the knobs would bother me more than the paint. A couple of repro "flying saucer" knobs from (Todd Clinesmith) for example might be in order!

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 4:08 pm    

I once had a set that were so worn, it just made sense to strip & repaint the lot of them. I used a thin coat of spray paint and it worked fine. The color was called "ancient white" and it was very close to the original.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 1:26 am     Thanks, Noah!

Noah Miller wrote:
I once had a set that were so worn, it just made sense to strip & repaint the lot of them. I used a thin coat of spray paint and it worked fine. The color was called "ancient white" and it was very close to the original.

What did you use to strip them? And spray pain really worked? How many coats (and how did you ensure it stayed smooth?

Thanks!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 3:12 am    

I'm not positive, but I think I used acetone to strip them. It's highly effective against most paints but harmless to the steel underneath.

And yeah, the spray paint was a lot easier to pull off than you might think. I made sure to do a fairly thin coat so bubbles couldn't form, but otherwise, I didn't take any special precautions. It smoothed itself out, and just a single coat was enough.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 7:23 am    

You can take your panels to an Auto Body Paint store and before you strip your panels you can use them to pick out a color to match the original paint. Once you have it you can get them to fill up a spray can. I would strip like Noah told you. Talk to the guy at the paint store. I think they sell a solution to actually etch the steel and give the paint a good surface to stick to. He may even suggest a primer before the finish paint. One more tip, wait to paint on a day with low humidity..........we are in summer now and those days will be few and far between. Fall is an excellent time to lay down paint. hope this helps you out. BTW.....nice steel and if you go to the trouble of painting the panels, please change to knobs like Scott suggested.

Last edited by Bill Groner on 29 May 2022 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 7:37 pm     Thanks, Noah and Scott!

I've already ordered Todd's fantastic repro flying saucer knobs. Got one white and one black. And I'll def. take a panel to an auto body place--excellent suggestion!

Thanks, fellas!!!!