The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hillman Powder Coated Tone Bars
Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 9:30 am    

Thanks George, I appreciate the extra- stay safe and well up there! Michael
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2021 7:56 pm    

I got 3 powder coated 7/8" bars from Michael and I love them! They take away some of the shrillness in the thin strings in the high register (aka: Huey land), have much less string noise as I move up and down scale, and don't appear to lose any sustain vs my solid steel bars. In fact, due to the reduced motion noise, sliding to an end note or chord seems a little fuller than with a standard bar and it seems I have a few more moments to resolve my pedals before the notes die out.

These comments apply to a 1983 Emmons push pull that has 8 pedals and 9 knee levers. It already has sustain issues due to the amount of hardware on the undercarriage and the aluminum necks.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 2:55 pm    

Awesome stuff Michael.
Less string noise on the thicker wound strings than with the Pearse bar I usually use.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2021 3:14 pm     Thanks John,

Thanks John, I did the glow in the dark bars not really knowing how well they’d work. There is a two step process that causes them to be a bit more costly to produce, first powder coated white and then with a clear coat that glows. But I’m thinking I’d better do another batch in a variety of sizes just to have them in stock.
Two Spector 5 string basses, Martin D-18, Taylor 812CE, 1944 Epiphone Zenith, a killer Luttrell 6 string resophonic, 1932 Model 56 Dobro, Beard Model E, Martin Soprano Uke, 10 string 1953 Alkire Eharp, Peavey Nashville 112, Fender Bassman, Fender 75 watt Rumble, and a Fender 100 watt Rumble.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2021 3:02 pm     New batch of butterscotch bars,

Just picked up a batch of butterscotch colored bars in a variety of sizes. Also, for those 12 string players and others who would like a longer bar, we have some 7/8" x 3 13/16" in various colors. Shoot me an email for any photos wanted or any other questions. Definitely will run another batch of glow in the dark bars in a variety of sizes, but it will be a few weeks before they are ready. Thanks to all who support our powder coated bar project! Holding present pricing for now, although I may have to raise them with every cost slowly creeping up. A complete price list appears at the top of page 24 on this thread.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2021 3:52 pm     Out of the shop Dec 15 -22,

Leaving the Idaho winter, and spending a week with two of our kids in sunny Florida. As always will be checking emails, Michael

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 10:38 am     Christmas Greetings to friends on the Forum

Here's our 2021 video Christmas Card -- wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year in 2022!

https://youtu.be/mi-thxV9nQc

Rod Robichaud

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2021 11:51 am    

Still my favourite bars. Thanks Michael and Merry
Christmas!!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 1:02 pm     Thanks Rod! And a reminder …

Thanks Rod - appreciate it!

It’s not too early to send me specific size and color requests if you are attending the Dallas Show and want to exchange old bars—or purchase something new. We look forward to renewing acquaintances with many Forum members, and will be at our usual booth in the back of the main ballroom. Thanks to all who support our powder coated bar project!

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 5:17 pm     Out of the shop April 29th thru May 11, 2022

Hello All, and thanks to everyone who supports our powder coated bar project. We will be out of the shop April 29th thru May 11th. Will still be checking emails when Wi-Fi is available. - Michael Hillman

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 5:48 am     Powder coated Bars

Michael: This is a great product and very good service & price. So easy to hold, and it doe's dampen some of the highs, which I like. Thanks for a great product my friend. The best to you. In His love, J.C. Norris

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 6:23 am    

I purchased a blue bar several years ago. After about a year the coating wore through in two areas, so I haven't used it since then and I love the ease of movement over the strings and tone. Is a certain color a harder coating? Would black have more carbon in it for a harder finish?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 6:20 pm     J. C. and Dennis - thanks for your posts,

Thanks, J.C., let me know if you need anything else. Dennis, I'll send you a PM, I have some thoughts regarding your blue bar, Best, Michael

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 4:31 pm     New project in progress…..

Haven’t posted on this thread since May - how the time flies! We’ve been experimenting with making an aluminum sitar bar- same design as our stainless steel version, some Forum members have indicated we might get a more realistic rattle using aluminum- will be testing soon. Still exchanging old bars for new, $15 per bar, just send me the old ones, and contact me for details.

Good selection of sizes and colors, including a few white glow in the dark bars-hope to see you in Dallas in March- thanks! Michael

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 4:37 pm    

I now have three powder coated bars and all holding up well after several months of playing. Love the tone. Easy to hold onto and slides with ease on the strings. Less noise from the wound strings when sliding. Highly recommended!
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2022 8:38 pm     Thanks Dennis!

Thanks Dennis- appreciate your post. Hope all is well with you and yours and let me know if you need anything else!

Dave Welch

Latrobe PA USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2022 11:19 am     Replacement bar

Michael, sent you a PM

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2022 6:32 pm    

PM sent...

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2022 1:49 pm    

What are the weights of the bars with grooved sides?

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2022 7:30 pm     Hello Chase,

I have two lengths in 7/8” diameter grooved side bars - the 3 1/4” length weighs 7.3 ounces, the 3 3/8” length is 7.7 ounces. -Michael

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 5:58 am    

What lengths do you have for standard round 7/8" bars?
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2023 6:30 am     Hello John,

In 7/8” diameter, we make 3” lap steels, 3 3/8” (standard) 3 1/2” (standard plus) and a 3 13/16” 12 string bar.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 11:46 am    

What colors do you have in the 7/8" 3 13/16" bar?

Michael Hillman

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 1:24 pm     7/8” x 3 13/16” colors

Hello John, I don’t have a lot of colors in that 12 string bar, presently I have red, Emmons blue, butterscotch, and snowmobile purple.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2023 3:44 pm    

Could you send a pic?