The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TC Electronics Bam200 micro amp
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 9:08 am    

Anyone try one of these as a steel amp ?

Seems like it would be a great way to build a lightweight rig.

Thanks !

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 7:34 am     Bam 200

Hi Steve,

I've used this little gem on a number of occasions. Pair it up with a TC electronics hall of fame reverb or a good delay unit and with some experimentation it works really well. I paired it with an Emminence Wheelhouse150 12" speaker in a small open back cab. Like all things steel guitar, everyone has their own likings. If you're looking for light weight, quiet, and small, for the money I find it tough to beat. All the best, Pat.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 8:03 pm     Thanks

Thanks Pat.

I really thought I’d see more of these around. Maybe in time, some will pop up.

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 5:00 am     Bam 200

Steve, there's lots of cool little unknown options for those willing to test the waters. I see a Trace Elliot Elf on here every now and then. The BAM is not my main gigging amp (Evans) but it's respectable in the right room. I think the Wheelhouse neo speaker rounds out the whole light weight thing. It's a hoot when another steel player likes your sound and you show him what you're using. Have fun.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 7:30 pm    

I have one I use with a 12" Eminence Neo in a lightweight, closed back cabinet and it sounds really good to me. I use a Zoom G3 ahead of it for effects. I also have a Trace Elliot Elf and they sound pretty much the same. I really like the size and weight of these little class D amps.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 7:47 pm    

I've posted about my "stereo quest" before after listening to my steel + stereo reverb in phones. At one point it was decided that the stereo image would get lost out in the crowd if you're in a typical bar band. Maybe true in many cases, however:
1). My "HiFi stereo setup" sounds great in my living room and with the piano/steel duo I sometimes play with.
2). My bar band brings lights, a humongous sound system, a sound guy, and we use in-ears. I don't even need speakers, but I bring one anyway so my little tape recorder can hear me. The sound guy (he's good) liked my stereo sound once when I brought both speakers, and now he takes a DI out from both my amps and runs me stereo through the mains. He said it really adds dimension out front (though I've never actually heard it - ha).
Anyway, for my first stereo experiment, I drove a BW1501 with the ELF, and ran the other channel into a Fender Rumble 40. Sounded cool, so I bought two BAM200's (they match) and made a set of "HiFi" speakers out of 8" Goldwood GW8003. They are not nearly as efficient as the BW1501, but is sounds HiFi. When I push them I get a little compression (not bad sounding if I do have to push it), and I can feel the cones get warm (the speakers are pretty cheap to replace, but haven't had a problem yet).

Anyway, I think the circuit topology of the BAM200 is almost identical to the ELF. The only difference I can see is that the Elf intentionally distorts when you crank the gain, and the EQ of the Elf is more touchy.

Here's a pic of the system. I use the Boss GT-001 multi-effects unit. Everything fits nicely

in my pac-a-seat (except the speakers). Seat is heavier than my steel now.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 10:59 am     Stereo

Really cool Glen. Two pound stereo amp ?

That’s something to think about.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 9:49 am    

I took the plunge on the Bam200 as I like experimenting. Plus you can return it within 30 days if you don't like it.

So far it sounded good in the practice room. Tonight I have a gig and we'll see how it does in that situation.

I have an AB box, so I'll switch back and forth from a Nashville 112 to the Bam200 with a speaker cabinet with a 12" black widow.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 10:10 am    

Please let us know how it went.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 3:50 pm    

A short sample. Through a 12 inch blue marvel speaker.

https://youtu.be/slOVmX80BFM

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 8:08 pm    

I'm also getting good results with the TC Electronic BQ250.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 5:08 am    

Ron, you continue to amaze me with your ability to extract awesome tone from some unlikely equipment. That really sounds great, and it's a low cost option. Thanks for posting this. If possible can you do a bit more examples and what effects chain your using?

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 5:30 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Ron, you continue to amaze me with your ability to extract awesome tone from some unlikely equipment. That really sounds great, and it's a low cost option. Thanks for posting this. If possible can you do a bit more examples and what effects chain your using?

Thx Larry.

I'm using a ZOOM 70 with some chorus and reverb. I want to see how it does on a live gig with that 4 ohm speaker. I tried it on a gig with an 8 ohm speaker and it wasn't a good match. Cuts the power in half.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 5:53 am    

Ron, no doubt the headroom is critical. I'm always surprised how these tiny powerhouse amps have big claims of wattage. Class D amps do supply more than the old stuff and for their size are impressive. But in comparison to the room filling power of lesser watt analog amp they do seem to fall short. They are using peak transients as a measure of output watts.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 12:30 pm    

Another test of the Bam 200.

https://clyp.it/npka0vgx

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 1:45 pm    

Nice Ron. Thanks for posting.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2022 8:52 am    

I finally got to use it on a live gig last night and was really pleased more then i thought.

So surprising. Quality, price and tone. Super light and small and the 200 watts gives headroom. I should have videoed at the gig but didn't.

Ron

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2022 6:36 am     Bam

Thanks for sharing this, I’m trying to score one used. Ideally from the big place with the return policy.
Glad it worked out for you.
Thanks for posting the clip.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2022 6:59 am    

TTT