The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with bar accuracy (descending)
Steve Morrell

Woodway, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 9:16 pm    

Hi all - I’m new to the PSG and to this forum and it has been enormously helpful to read through the various topics. I’ve been playing for about a month and I’m pretty happy with my progress so far.

My bar accuracy is gradually getting better but I have a lot of trouble when moving down the neck, especially when moving just one or two frets (descending diatonic 3rds, for example). Or when playing Paul Franklin’s bar exercise.

The trouble is I can’t see the destination fret because it’s covered by my fingers. I do pretty well on the way up, but I feel like I’m just guessing on the way down. Any advice? Or is this just one of those things that requires a lot of “seat time” to develop?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 9:49 pm    

It's a good question.

When moving down the fretboard, try spreading out the fingers to the left of the bar so you can see the target fret a little better.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 6:50 am    

After some practice, you'll just know where the fret is. Very Happy
Erv

Mike Petryk

Waterford NY USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 7:02 am    

Hi,
I like the Paul Franklin bar exercise. I do it up to the 24th fret and back. Sometimes I start on the 1st fret up to the 25th.
I also do another exercise. It's two parts.
A triplet: Strike strings 4 & 5 at the 24th fret move down to the 23rd then the 22nd.
Then four notes: Strike strings 4 & 5 at the 24th fret move down to the 23rd, 22nd then the 21st.

Repeat these moves starting at the 23rd fret, then starting at the 22nd fret, ... all the way down the neck. My metronome is at 120 BPM for this.
Regards,
Mike

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 10:49 am    

Here's Paul's post:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=176202&highlight=paul+franklin+bar+exercise

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 2:03 pm    

You're probably just trying to do the backwards moves too fast. One good tip is to never practice for speed! Rather, practice for accuracy, and with constant repetition, the speed will come on its own. (Read that last sentence again - it's that important!). One little trick to the reverse movement is to look at the frets above where your bar is. For instance, when you have to move back two frets, the distance you will be moving will be just a little more than the distance two frets above where the bar is. And when you're moving larger amounts, like four or five frets (or even more), you can easily see the fret where you'll be going and "freeze" the image of where that fret is in your mind, and then you won't even have to see the fret you're going to to place the bar accurately. Wink Also, keep in mind that the frets are just a rudimentary guide when it comes to bar placement. Your ears will always have to be the final guide as to where the bar must be for accurate intonation.

Practice slowly and diligently, and the skills will come! Winking

Steve Morrell

Woodway, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 2:57 pm    

Thanks everyone! Great tips. I will soldier on…

Steve

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 4:08 pm    

Donny is right on the money. And with time your ears will hear the proper pitch when you're there.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 5:18 pm    

Well, there's the Hankey Upright Fretboard:

https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/004621.html

~Lee

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 9:06 pm    

Thanks Steve for bringing this up-I'm in for almost five years and I still have this issue. Just gotta get used to it.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 9:27 am    

Don’t forget the Emmons/Franklin idea of practicing in the dark or with eyes closed.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=264077
I think of my eyesight as a secondary sense when playing steel or guitar. Maybe necessary at times, but definitely second chair to ears.
Moving the bar in half steps in either direction above the 15th fret gives me fits, and looking where I’m going only helps so much. Just have to be a better listener.

It’s kind of like crossing over strings when picking, which is more about feel than watching where you’re going.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 9:19 pm    

Proper handling of a steel guitar bar is like steering a vehicle down the road. You can not see the wheels, But you learn to steer the wheels where you want by comparing the edge of the windshield, Hood groves or hood ornament with the path you choose for the wheels to follow.
These moves are stored in our nero-memory and our eye and hand coordination steers the vehicle without our brain really processing the action. If you change vehicles your brain has to think the process out again to do the moves smooth and proper until they are stored in our nero-memory.

A Round Steel Guitar Bar under your hand, You can not see where to put it exactly on the fret. The bar is placed exactly where your ears says the perfect note is. Then looking at neck, Compare frets and markers with your thumb and index finger. With practice you will move your hand till the bar is near the perfect location, Then your ear will tell you exactly the location.
Like learning to drive a vehicle it takes Seat Time to learn to drive a vehicle, It takes Seat Time to learn to play a steel guitar too.
Happy steelin.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 7:39 am    

Tucker Jackson wrote:
It's a good question.

When moving down the fretboard, try spreading out the fingers to the left of the bar so you can see the target fret a little better.

If you closely watch videos you can see that Hal Rugg splayed his fingers when descending. It was not to see the fretboard though. It was to get a physical reference for accuracy. I spent a day with Charleton working on that.

David Dorwart

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 8:21 am    

Try targeting just behind the fret as you descend then slide up into the note.