The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnatone...? lap steel
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 8:55 am    

I just bought this lap steel, not that I need another one, but the price was irresistible. I had to buy it! Anyway, I think it's a Magnatone, branded for Russo Music Co. The guitar should arrive in a couple of days. It looks to be in nice shape, and the seller said it's in good working order. We'll see!

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 21 May 2022 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 21 May 2022 9:15 am    

Nice looking, Doug. Play us a song when it arrives.

Friend to all,

C. E. Jackson Very Happy

A6 tuning for steels

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 10:07 am    

Definitely either a Magnatone or a Dickerson - same company, different time periods.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 10:39 am    

I wonder if this is one of those where the MOTS covers the pickup. I’ll find out soon!

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 11:53 am    

I bought an old Magatone With the pickup under the MOTS a couple of years ago. It is my favorite and sounds really nice. Please post a video with it soon!

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 2:04 pm    

I'd be very surprised if this one didn't have the hidden pickup. That bridge design raises the strings maybe 1/4" above the body, so there isn't room for a traditional surface-mounted pickup.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 4:54 pm    

These are really good-sounding steels. I've had a few - again, price was too good to pass up. Every single one with that slanted pickup cover had the pickup under the MOTS.

And that green MOTS is really cool. I suppose that's Russo Music in or around Hamilton NJ?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 7:52 pm    

So there is no access to the pickup? There's no way to get to it from the back of the guitar, as far as I can see.

The Russo Music site says the company started in 1960. George Gruhn says Magnatone made lap steels until 1958. It was probably made for that same music store, I would guess.

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 8:52 pm    

If it is a Magnatone, this may provide some insight into how the pickup is mounted: http://www.dennysguitars.com/MagnatoneMOTSpupGuts1.html and http://www.dennysguitars.com/LinhofBlueMaggieSetElectronics1.html

Bob Womack

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 7:32 am    

Yeah, my first lap steel was an ugly little Magnatone with no tone control and the pickup mounted under the grey mother of toilet seat. It developed an intermittency and I tried to find the issue. I tried removing the arm rest to start. At the first touch, the MOTS shattered, taking the "fretboard" decal with it. Done! I suppose it spent too many hours hanging in the pawn shop window and the MOT became brittle.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (My Little Website)

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 7:46 am    

One thing I've noticed about the handful of Dickersons and Magnatones that have passed through my hands is their exceptionally light weight. Although I suspect they were made from inexpensive fir or pinewood sourced in the Pacific Northwest, it's almost like Magna melted the celluloid over a plank of balsa.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 2:36 am    

Magnatones are under appreciated. Many sound really good and are the cheapest vintage steels around. I love my Varsity model. There's a large Facebook group devoted to all things Magnatone.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 4:46 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
So there is no access to the pickup? There's no way to get to it from the back of the guitar, as far as I can see.

That's correct. What's more, the magnet (horseshoe, as I recall) is huge so if the pickup goes bad you have to cut a big section of MOTS away to get to it. Previous owner of my Dickerson had already done that so I made a cover piece to hide the damage and put a strat pickup in it. Hopefully, your pickup works.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 5:55 am    

The Magnatone arrived and it works fine. It has the hidden pickup. This is definitely a student level lap steel, somewhat lacking in tone and sustain, but a sweet old steel nonetheless. The MOTS is in excellent condition, the tuners are fine, and the pickup works, so that's all good.

Branded for Russo Music Company, Pittsburg, California, which is in the San Francisco area. The company still exists and is a teaching studio with a San Francisco address.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 1:36 pm    

Great color MOTS. Very Happy As a woodworker, if I had a pick up problem, and had not paid too much for the guitar, I would carefully cut in from the back.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 2:17 pm    

I think I would carefully cut the MOTS around the pickup and glue the edges of the MOTS down, and pray that it doesn't peel off! Cool Fortunately the pickup is fine in this one so that's not an issue. This guitar hasn't had much use. Whoever owned it was a poor student... didn't practice much.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 4:06 am     Magnatone

Those were made from RedWood, = light and at the time abundant - low cost easy to machine.

The Pickups are Not made to be removed. Even if you were to destroy the plastic Top, they were not made with a Bobbin wrap scheme.

They were some how wound and placed in a wood pocket then filled with a wax or some odd hardened liquid material.

If you look under the metal cover-hand rest- on a Troubadour or similar you can see what it is I'm talking about.

Despite the fact that these sound and play good,
pretty much every effort was taken to lower the cost to make eg;
Bent wire pressed into electronic eyelets, (pre top ferrules) for nut and bridges - Decal fretboard water floated on.
Plate tuners and so on.
YouTube Channel

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 4:40 am    

Imagine how great they would/could have sounded by spending more time and money on parts. I think they did a great job the way they made them........lots of bang for the buck.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 5:03 am    

George, that's very interesting info regarding the pickup. So they were basically potted, no bobbin.

Bill, I may have been a little hasty in my assessment of the sound. I just ran it through a black box and my Quilter amp and it sounds quite "acceptable", as Jimbeaux would say. Not as much sustain as my Gibson or Fender, but it has an interesting tone and it's fun to play.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 5:34 am    

On the subject of the type of wood these are made of. I have quite a few of these student model Magnatones and the wood they used is all over the map... redwood, pine, I have one that's maple! I assume they used whatever was cheap and available. I would say pine is the most common.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 5:54 am    

I don’t know what kind of wood it’s made of, but the guitar is very light. It only weighs 2 lb, 11 oz. I like that. I’m a big fan of lightweight gear nowadays.
I’m curious about the pickup resistance, but I seem to have lost my multimeter! I may have to buy another one.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 6:20 am    

Doug, The pups were wound (CW) on some type of form slipped off and placed in the cavity. The mag was inserted (N or S up). Then they were potted and covered with MOTS. At least this is what I have found after working on several. Resistance generally runs 3.2K -3.8K at around 76 degrees. Earlier ones with the Tulip headstock tend to run higher.
Gary
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 7:02 am    

Thanks Gary, that’s good info.

Jesse Pearson

San Diego , CA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 6:53 pm    

That's a nice looking Magnatone. I still have 4 that are all tuned to different tunings and made of different woods. I use the heaviest string gauges I can for each particular tuning which gives you a fatter sound. One has a Dickerson decal on the headstock and is still my favorite to this day even though I have a Fender and a Rickenbacker Panda. Almost 20 years ago you could buy them real cheap on E-Bay under slide guitar, now they are usually several hundreds of dollars. I remember hearing that Joaquin Murphey would have to pawn his good steel guitars every now and then and would just play Magnatone's that he always had stashed in the truck of his car until he got his good steels back out of hock. Great little short scale lap steels...

Charles Allen

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 12:54 pm     New Magnatone

Hi Folks - I am a new guy here. Gigging bass player who just inherited a 50's era Magnatone Varsity lap steel that I would like to use. It was my father-in-law's and he says it used to work, but when I plug it into an amp I get nothing. Of course tried different amps/cords just to make sure it's not my stuff.

Otherwise it appears to be structurally correct and playable, but the electronics are inoperative. So I opened the little hatch on the back and pulled out the wiring. Everything appears to be connected - no loose wires that I can see. Nothing grounded.

The components appear original, i.e. really old. When I compare to the wiring diagrams helpfully available online I can see that this unit does not correspond to any diagram I have seen so far. Here is what I am seeing on this one:

Anyway, I am not sure how to proceed. I could just start replacing components...or I could just replace everything and start over. Is there any particular value in retaining any of these old components. Are there any tone-volume wiring sets that would just drop in and work with these oddball pickups?

Thanks for any advice and best wishes.