The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Flying with Pedal Steel
Casey Saulpaugh

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 25 May 2022 10:53 am    

Hey everyone!

I am going to be flying with my pedal steel for a show in about a couple of weeks. I'd love some advice and tips on weight limit, flight case?, possible damage, checking/carry-on, and methods you may recommend.

I currently own three double necks (each pretty heavy, but maybe under 50 lbs), and a single neck that is a GFI student model.

Don't own a flight case, however each of these steels has a standard hard case that is good in quality for a general case.

I'd definitely like to not have to pay for checking extra weight (it seems the limit may be 50lbs?), however the single neck I own isn't a professional guitar per se (GFI student model). Definitely need a pedal steel for the show that is working reliably and sounds good, but not ruling out the GFI student because of it being a single neck and lighter in weight compared to the double necks. Really just need a reliable and working pedal steel that sounds good for this show!

I am thinking about investing in a professional single neck if a good opportunity arises, but not sure if I'll buy one before the flight and have the time to get a flight case for it too, but it's a possibility.

I'm thinking about taking one of my double necks, and just using the standard case it is in now (not a flight case). It fits real well in it, and I may add some extra foam inside, as well as straps on the outside to better secure the lid. Would also get it insured if possible, looking into this.

Has anyone used their normal case like this for flying? It seems like it'd have to be handled pretty roughly for damage to occur in even the normal case (not flight case).

Any tips or recommendations? Thanks!!

-Casey

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2022 2:08 pm    

Never flown with one but I wouldn't dream of doing it. My brother-in-law was a baggage handler and had plenty to say about luggage abuse.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 25 May 2022 2:43 pm    

Years ago I flew a normal case with an sd10 a dozen times before it was damaged. It's always a dice roll, even with what they call a flight case. I'd recommend an skb wheeled case- best chance of getting under 50lbs, good protection, easy to roll, and a better case for local gigs. They take some work to fit properly. Steve Hinson's brand x cases are also great for flights. You could also look into renting/borrowing if it's a one- off.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 2:01 am    

Along with the steel, seat and amp? More items to protect?

Robert Murphy

West Virginia
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 3:27 am    

I flew back from Texas to WV with a GFI student model on Southwest. I added some fill to the insides and purchased two baggage straps with click locks for added security since the two wire latches seamed risky. 38 lbs. The check in agent was very receptive and said he would label it as “oversized” and it was hand delivered to the aircraft and waiting in a separate area at the destination and not on the carousel. Not a scratch.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 6:53 am    

How much is a ticket for a seat? She can then possibly sit right next to you Very Happy

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 7:09 am    

I have flown a Mullen Discovery in a standard case many times with no issues. Yes, the case is beat up a little bit but that's what it's for. To protect the guitar and that's what it's done. I always check the steel and never try to stow it in overhead. To me, it's not worth the hassle of lugging it through the airport only to find out at the gate that they're going to stow it under the plane anyway. Also, when I can, I always try to check it at oversized baggage. If it's under 50 pounds, it's the same standard baggage fee but I can watch it go through the X-ray. And, if they want to see the guitar, I can open the case and remove it for them. I also have a note in the case which is the 1st thing they see if they open it. It says, please do not lift by rods, springs or any other moving parts, etc. If you need to inspect, there are 4 legs in the vinyl pouch that can be screwed into the instrument that will allow you to lift it out of the case to inspect. Keep in mind, if you're over 50 pounds, the cartage fee goes up significantly.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 11:52 am    

Asa Brosius wrote:
...I'd recommend an skb wheeled case- best chance of getting under 50lbs, good protection, easy to roll, and a better case for local gigs. They take some work to fit properly...

Seconded. I have an SKB iSeries 3614-6. Very durable, watertight (supposedly), option for TSA locks. Sweetwater sells them for $220 empty but you can find them for less if you shop around. It weighs about 17# empty, the liner adds about 3#. My Emmons S10 PP w/ alloy legs weighs 49.5# in the case. Lots of folks use these and similar cases for double neck guitars too, with a separate case or bag for the legs and pedal rack. If the guitar is not too heavy that should keep both under 50#. The case liner is just rigid 1" foam from Home Depot cut/carved to fit except the bottom, which is 1/2" foam, and the center divider, which is 1/2" plywood. Some scrap velvet with a little 3M "77" spray adhesive, voila. Easy to reconfigure for different guitars. One minor inconvenience with this model is that it's very popular with gun enthusiasts, so you tend to get questioned at the airport as to whether it's a firearm, can get held up at baggage claim. I've flown with it on Southwest, they still allow two free checked bags 50# or less. Smile

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 8:12 pm    

Just my $.09 (adjusted for inflation). I've flown well over 100 times with a tuba for the Army. I use a gig bag within a case-it's huge and gov. will pay but it never happens.

You won't have time to make a perfect flight case. Use your own case, pad it using hard rubber inside to keep forces from smacking tuning pegs/rollers against the case walls. It's too heavy for them to throw it, and it shouldn't be dropped from any distance.

Your case could show wear but you should be great. Be personable/cordial to the folks, it can help-good luck.

Eric OHara

Peru, NY, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2022 2:59 pm    

Hi Casey, a couple of things I’ve done in flying:
Since the airline will more than likely open the case to have a look inside I tape a picture of what the guitar looks like all set up on the inside of the case. I also put a note taped right onto the pull rods noting that if they have to take the guitar out that they only use the nylon straps that I wrap around the guitar body to take it out. I have heard horror stories of guitars being picked up by the pull rods to lift it out. Maybe overkill but I just didn’t want to travel a couple thousand miles to end up with a broken guitar.

I also keep my bar with me. I haven’t had it happen yet but I’ve heard of instances of bars being taken out/away because they just don’t know what it is. I have a little video on my phone showing what it’s used for just in case. Again, probably overkill but it gives me a little more assurance when flying.

Best of luck. If you decide to go flight case I recommend the folks at Keal Cases in TX. They are very attentive to musicians needs. There are of course many other case mfg’s as well. Eric

b

Beard Decophonic 57/ Fishman JD preamp
Goodrich 6122-R
Walrus Slotva Reverb, JHS Thunderbolt, ZVEX fuzz factory
Evans JE-200, RE-150
Peavey Nashville 112, 400
Keal Cases

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 5:41 am    

Casey: Where are you flying from/to?
How many flight/plane changes are there?
Where is the gig?

But regardless, I'd try to borrow one on site from a forum member.
A PSG is a lot to haul around on an airplane for one gig.

Andy Gibson

Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 7:07 am     Flying pedal steel

One time, back in the 20th century, I had to fly with a pedal steel to meet up with a tour. I didn't really play pedals yet, still a non pedal player, but the gig paid too much to turn down. And it was just an easy padding chords, a and b pedals only kinda gig anyway. I didn't own a pedal steel so Bobbe seymour loaned me a blue mci. I checked it with oversize but somehow at the destination it got put in with all the other bags and it came shooting down the belt ramp at about 100 miles an hour. It hit the belt at the bottom of the ramp so hard that the case split open and it broke the airports belt tracks. I thought for sure it was destroyed. But it only bent one of the tuning machines. It still played and had no other damage... Tuff guitar.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 5:46 pm    

I fly my guitars a lot -- usually one of my D10 Zum Hybrids, so I'm particular about protecting it properly!.. usually just put the body of the guitar in this SKB drum stand case, which I have suitably lined with foam -- and put the leg bag and pedal bar in another bag! This is to keep the weight under 50lb/23kg!! my Zum in this case usually comes in around 21-21.5kgs (47/48lbs) ... which will keep things cost free! I have a D2F padded cover which I also leave on the guitar when I pack it in the case... and strap the whole thing in with the case straps!
I've flown from NZ to the US, Aussie, Norfolk Island, and other parts of NZ without any issues (touch wood).
The case has two handles and wheels as well so it's pretty robust.

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.