The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Excel?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 4:33 am    

I received a very quick response to my enquiry regarding prices and delivery-times from Excel. I'm tentatively looking into a new 12-string.

A question for anyone who may have purchased new from the company: is there import duty to pay over and above the price of the guitar? The steel is reasonably priced but case is extra as is shipping,of course.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 6:08 am    

Good question. Don't know for sure. I ordered a guitar from them a couple of weeks ago and was quoted guitar price and shipping. No mention of import duty.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 6:13 am    

I don’t recall paying any large about in excess to the quoted price. He was done ahead of schedule and mine was a custom 11 string E9. Less that two weeks after he told me it shipped it was at my door in Florida.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 3:17 pm    

I had a 12-string Excel shipped to Canada a few weeks ago. Very likely you'll pay duty getting it into the USA I actually looked at shipping to the states first, but didn't want to risk having to pay US duty AND canadian duty. For context shipping from Japan is a mess right now and air isn't available to most country's so I was looking at routing through the US (double duty), sea (3+ months), or courier (expensive). Ended up going with the courier.

Shipping to the US shouldn't be a problem as EMS is still running. I'd budget ~$450 for shipping and ~8% for duty.

My guitar is beautiful and dog approved.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 21 May 2022 6:37 pm    

Just texted a buddy of mine who got one about a year ago. He does not remember having to pay any import fees or duty on his guitar.

Hope he is right!!!!

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 11:05 am    

I don't know, but ever since things "settled" after 9-11 I've found that it is INCREDIBLE what one gets into the US from Overseas, especially China without ANY customs bill. Some even rather large packages arrive un-opened even when they had no clear customs declaration attached (but don't think that's reciprocal! Of course if you only try to send something wrong or defective back to China, it's like pulling an exit Visa from North Korea!)!
It seems to look like the main focus at point of entry seems to be to make sure it is not radio-active nor does it go "tic-tack-tic-tack".
Possibly too, since the general population has taken to ordering "stuff" off AliExpress and even ebay sellers directly from Asia and other countries, Customs are just overwhelmed and again, prefer to concentrate on what is important.
Even flying back with expensive guitars, which in the past could lead to lengthy "discussions" about value and "do you plan to work (as a STEEL GUITARIST, REALLY?) in this country?", are just no more.

So, I guess, some guitars just "slip" thru, no questions asked... others maybe get "the bill".

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 11:20 am     Excel

I’ve ordered 2 from Mitsuo, the last one was in 2014..shipped Japan to Alaska, no customs duty..just shipping.. Whoa!

Benjamin Poilve

France
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 12:45 am    

French custom seems to be quite more diligent, I had to pay a 20% import fee !

Since I would have needed to pay it for a US guitar as well, so Excel are still great value in Europe.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 6:26 am    

Contact Steve Sanford. He has several imported every year.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Alan Struthers

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2022 12:23 pm    

I'm 98% sure that I paid no import duty. My guitar was shipped right to my door for cost plus shipping.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 May 2022 12:28 pm    

Thanks, Alan, and everyone who responded.

Bill: I emailed Mr Sanford but haven't heard back yet.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 25 May 2022 12:35 pm     Excel

I emailed Mitsuo directly and got his response the next day… Shocked