The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal clipping
Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 10:52 am    

I have a Strymon Flint and it's clipping when the volume pedal is toe down. I have a GFI Expo (GFI-III) and a powered Hilton volume pedal. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Does anyone run effects before the volume? I'm not sure if it's the pickup volume or the volume pedal.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 12:18 pm    

There's a boost/cut function for both the reverb and tremolo. It's an internal secondary function, so it could be that the you just need to dial it back to unity gain. Hold both switches down while turning the mix/intensity knobs back to 12 o'clock.

I realize that shouldn't have any effect on how the signal is hitting the front end of the pedal but it's worth a shot.

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 12:42 pm    

Thanks Brett, interesting idea. Worth exploring. Thanks for the idea.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 3:22 pm    

I find that the Hilton pedal has a higher output than either a passive Goodrich or an active Telonics, so that might be something to bear in mind.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 4:50 pm    

It also doesn't make a lot of sense that hitting the pedal a little harder on the front end would make it clip. Think about all the added gain that the average guitar player adds through boost, compression, OD...

Here's another thought. How are you powering the pedal?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 5:49 am    

If there's a volume adjustment on the bottom of the volume pedal, turn it down. Powered volume pedals are able to amplify a pickup that's already louder than most, and that can cause distortion. Another solution is to turn the amp up, which forces you to use less volume pedal, and therefore feeds less signal to whatever is downstream. Wink

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 6:23 am    

Time out.

Alex: What is your signal chain?
Are you running the Strymon before, or after, the volume pedal?
Also, what other effects are in the chain?

Brett: "It also doesn't make a lot of sense that hitting the pedal a little harder on the front end would make it clip."
Regardless of where it is in the chain, too much signal is most likely exactly what is making it clip.

Brett: "Think about all the added gain that the average guitar player adds through boost, compression, OD..."
Gain/distortion generated by an effect that is designed to do that versus actual signal level are two different things.

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 7:12 am    

All great ideas.

I'm using a Pedal Power X4 (original supply is broken, but the X4 should be enough)
The effects are after the volume pedal and I'm having the issue with only the Flint in the chain. I have an original Memory Lane that will also go in the chain once it's fixed.

I thought about putting the effects before the volume, but not sure I want the reverb and delay in that position.
My Hilton doesn't seem to have the volume option on the bottom. I only see the off point one.

It is possible that something is wrong with the Flint, but I think others have mentioned clipping issues with it. It has an input threshold of 8 dbu.

Not going toe down on the volume is definitely something I need to work on. Still working out the best volume pedal technique. I think adjusting the off point might help that for me.

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 8:14 am    

Hilton pedal is very hot.

You don't want spatial effects before the volume pedal, you want the tails to ring even if you lower the volume pedal.

I am able to overdrive my Strymon delay pedal if the volume pedal is wide open and I pick as hard as I can. They are expecting guitar levels, not steel. But in a musical setting you never play like that.

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 9:12 am    

Thanks. I think others are confirming what I thought about the signal. However, it sounds like getting a good grip on using my volume correctly is my answer.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 9:22 am    

ajm wrote:

Brett: "Think about all the added gain that the average guitar player adds through boost, compression, OD..."
Gain/distortion generated by an effect that is designed to do that versus actual signal level are two different things.

Yep, I hear ya. I use the word gain not in a guitar distortion sense, but increased signal/db.
I have a flint on my board and have hit it super hard with other pedals and never had it clip. Then again, I'm using 12k pickups and a passive volume pedal.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 11:39 am    

Brett Lanier wrote:

I have a flint on my board and have hit it super hard with other pedals and never had it clip. Then again, I'm using 12k pickups and a passive volume pedal.

Big difference! Whoa!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 11:40 am    

If you stop calling it a volume pedal and think of it as a sustaining device, and work at a starting position of halfway or less, you should avoid trouble.
As Chris says, picking hard with the pedal flat out has no musical function.

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 1:16 pm    

I'm definitely using the volume, but it is set to go all the way off. I'm thinking that changing the cut off point to still allow volume through will change that arch. I'm going to play around with it. Maybe I am thinking of it wrong and should think more about the beginning of the arch rather than the end. Thanks for the ideas. I did consider a passive volume (would love to get rid of the plug). But, considering the cost of them, I'll first start with working with what I have.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 1:52 pm    

I would certainly work with what you have. The Hilton is a great pedal and I loved the clarity of it straight out of the box. But it took me a while to get the cut-off point where I wanted it and to figure out the best neutral position. Patient experimentation will pay off, promise!

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 5:01 pm    

Thanks Ian for the vote of confidence/confirmation. I’ll do just that.