The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wrong Key!
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 8:17 am    

Actually, depending HOW "wrong" one is, it's at times astonishing how far some "wrong"-keys can seem to work, until the chords just take a different path and the train "hits a wall"!

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 9:02 am    

How about when the band plays the right key for 2 measures and the singer plays the wrong key on his rhythm guitar for 2 measures and has to sort of morph into the right key..... does that count?

Roddy Ring

Alexandria, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 9:35 am    

Recording a song way back, me on bass, we decided we'd give it a ska feel where it had been straight rock beat for a long time. the drummer was having a hard time getting his intro right. On the tenth take or so, when he finally nailed it, I was so distracted by his success that I lit into my bassline a half step sharp. everyone jeered, bottles were thrown and the abbreviated take was saved and played periodically for my renewed embarrassment.
Second story, at the Opry. The woman currently doing the Patsy shows in town took to the Opry stage to do "Crazy." The pianist hit the intro in the wrong key and quickly dropped out within a couple notes when he realized his error. She turned to him and said "B-flat" loudly enough that I could hear her in the balcony. Whenever, someone hits a bad note in rehearsal, someone will inevitably say "B flat."

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 7:01 pm    

"Oh, I do that one in D now, it just got too high for me in E. This just after you've delivered a letter perfect intro to "I Never Go Around Mirrors" and everything has come to a FUBAR. You're sitting in with a band that has used the same set list for five years and not made any corrections.

In another instance, the front man says, "Here's a good ol' Merle Haggard song. You look down at the set list and it says, "Working Man" in D ???? The guitar man launches into an intro that sounds vaguely familiar but it ain't "Working Man Blues" and turns to you to take the next line. If you're fast and if you're lucky (to quote Doolin Dalton) you recognize "A Working Man Can't Get Nowhere Today"

Finally, I used to work with a singer that didn't use a set list. He just called songs on the fly. Trouble is he didn't know the titles to any of his songs. He'd say "Let's do that Faron Young song" or "Let's do the indian song."

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 6:31 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
I have, many times.
Mostly when we have a guest singer and they have no clue what key they sing a certain song in, so they just start humming and hope everyone finds the key.
I have never understood a "singer" not knowing what key they sing their songs in, especially if they are going to guest spot on a stage.

And it's not just the amateurs either. hehe

You musta played around here in Va! Happens a lot! One girl who didn't know her key, went and got the song on her phone, stuck it up to my ear & said "this key" while we were in the middle of another song!

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 7:46 am    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
"Oh, I do that one in D now, it just got too high for me in E. This just after you've delivered a letter perfect intro to "I Never Go Around Mirrors" and everything has come to a FUBAR. You're sitting in with a band that has used the same set list for five years and not made any corrections.

Clyde so what military branch were you in? (FUBAR)

I also played with a guy that didn't know the names of the songs.... took me a few weeks to know what we would be playing.... "Let's do the train song" (Folsom Prison Blues)

Fun times

Sam

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 2:46 am    

Many years ago while playing the "I am A Pilgram" instrumental for the offering collection, the guitar picker veered into "Nine Pound Hammer" for his break. The preacher who was also a picker asked us what we were playing.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 4:58 am    

Bill Duncan wrote:
Many years ago while playing the "I am A Pilgram" instrumental for the offering collection, the guitar picker veered into "Nine Pound Hammer" for his break. The preacher who was also a picker asked us what we were playing.

Hmmm, how did the preacher ask, with a grin or a frown? Very Happy

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 9:16 am    

I worked with a band around 2001 that did a show with Jeannie C Riley and Rusty Adams. I started Harper Valley in C which was our gal singer's key instead of A which was Jeannie's. Bless her heart she tried to get it but after a few bars we had to stop and get in the right key.

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 10:01 am    

One time when playing at a wine bar, shortly after switching from paper binder to iPad, I did the Beatles song Don't Let Me Down, which for vocal range reasons, I do in A, and the chords on my paper version are printed as such.

Best I can figure, I transcribed the chords in E, saved, transposed to A, printed, and quit without saving.

Using my fancy new iPad, I played the opening E chord, played the riff in A (muscle memory) which set me up to sing in A, and continued to play the chords in E. Shocked

I think it took me the first chorus and verse to figure out what was going on!

Weirdly, singing in A and playing in E almost works! On the first chord (2-), I'm singing B > A > F#, playing against an F#- chord. But when it goes to the second chord (1), I'm singing A > F# > E against an E chord. And let me tell you, belting an add11 just doesn't really resolve to the tonic in a satisfying way.

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 May 2022 12:56 am    

b0b wrote:
Ian Rae wrote:
Never ask the guitar player for the key. He'll tell you the first chord, which may not be it.

Most guitar players are totally clueless about music theory.
Mr. Green

WOW Bob Laughing

Being a guitar player, I would certainly agree that MANY "so called players" are lacking in theory but in my experience so are a good bit of Pedal Steel players !

That statement will certainly get me flamed ! Laughing Its ok, I have Aluminum Foil wrapped around my head

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 2:49 am    

One girl would always play in G and just move the capo on her guitar. Absolutely no point in asking her what key was the song in. The answer was always G. In the end I just asked what fret did she have the capo on.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 7:33 am    

Chris Sattler wrote:
One girl would always play in G and just move the capo on her guitar. Absolutely no point in asking her what key was the song in. The answer was always G. In the end I just asked what fret did she have the capo on.

I've met her.

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 28 May 2022 11:55 am    

We got into the habit of using names C= Charlie. Bflat= Bravo-flat, E=Echo. Worked every time.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2022 4:50 pm    

I can imagine the confusion in Canada - someone asks the key and somebody else answers "It's in G, eh?"

Robert B Murphy

Mountain View, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2022 7:01 am    

Or an Arkansan will say: "It's in Aaaaaaaaef."

Robert Ellis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2022 7:21 am     Wrong key

Will Van Horn used to intentionally kick the tunes in the wrong key, or talk to the rest of the band and plan a cold modulation up for verse two. Was a wonderful exercise in “flying by the seat of my pants” as a singer and I will be grateful for a lifetime.

I like the sound of playing my licks correctly, but a minor third up from the rest of the band.
Xoxoxox

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 3:53 pm    

Back in the 1960's, A friend of mine used to go to Nashville and play steel some.

Years ago he told me a story about Shot Jackson having some Sho-Bud fret boards that was not to scale. At the Opry, He would sneak around and lay the fret board on some players Sho-Bud steel. Knowing the first song on stage would be kicked off by the steel. When the steel player kicked the song off and the band came in, The steel player would have to slide 1/2 inch or so up the neck to be with the band.
Shot Jackson would be back stage laughing so hard, He would have to hang on to something, Laughing about the confusion he caused.
The rest of the story was Roy Acuff would not be a happy camper.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2022 5:46 pm    

What a jerk.

Dylan Ritter

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2022 12:36 pm    

I play with some friends in France, old country stuff.
The singer/guitar player usually chooses to speak with me in english. He calls out the key for most songs. I noticed early that every time he would call for the key of C it was when he was starting with a G chord and capo on the 4th. I always corrected him out loud,"B!",figuring he didnt do the math right, and it became a running joke, i could rib him on it occasionally. Finally one night on stage it suddenly became clear he had been calling out "Si" all along, He was never wrong, joke's on me. (I guess that's exactly why in Quebec we were taught "Ti" instead).

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 1:22 pm     key

When I was playing at the southern Ohio Opry sometimes a singer would tell the lead man a different key than she told you or vise versa. After a while I learned to know the ones that would be hard to kick a song for and just vamped them a start key.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2022 1:47 pm    

Back in the old days I worked for a leader who had a habit of showcasing known or semi known singers. Some knew their keys, but, most did not. It wound up being the hunt and peck effort.
However, I play in two different bands, that, play some of the same songs in different keys. It can get confusing and I have made a mistake once in a while. I usually make a joke about it as they do, luckily. Set lists with the KEYS do make a difference though.

Jason Stillwell

Caddo, OK, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 6:33 am    

I was trying to kick off Panhandle Rag on the spot. My dad (on fiddle) said, "It's in E." I said, "I know what key it's in. I just don't know what key I'M in!" Laughing

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 8:33 am    

This past Saturday night, the guitar player blew an intro big time. He turned to me and said, "Sometimes I play in tongues."

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2022 6:37 pm    

Did it last night at an Eagles Dance....I stopped and blamed the drummer for being in the wrong key. Got it right the second time.