The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opinions on MSA Value
Benjamin Franz

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 12:37 am    

I've been contacted by a friend of a friend who was left this steel by a recently deceased associate, and is trying to get a sense of its value. I haven't seen the steel in person, it's a good distance away from me, so can't vouch for the mechanics or playability. Seems to be an MSA pull-release 3x2.
Opinions on low range value with bad condition mechanics and high range value with good condition mechanics would be much appreciated! I'm personally not interested in buying it, but would like to be able to help them with an approximate value. Thanks in advance.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 6:49 am    

Boy that one has been rode hard, and not ever put away... If it were around here, I would probably give $500 bucks for it as a worthwhile project..

If I were selling it?.. I dunno, probably start at $700 negotiable, and see where that leads.. Its rough, and not well cared for by the look of it. That devalues a guitar thats not worth a bunch to begin with..

In good shape, those real old P/R MSA's just don't have much value compared to the later Classics which were light years better mechanically... I would be very happy to pocket $650 for that one, and would take less if thats all I was offered.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 8:14 am    

What Bob said. That's a project guitar with past mechanics.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 5:27 am    

I'd say $300-$500. The pickup's been moved, and we don't even know if it works. It's a very beat 3+2, but likely could be made to work acceptably. Oh Well

¥

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 10:25 am    

Given that it's in Australia where PSGs are scarce, it's probably worth a bit more than it would be here in the US. I agree that it looks pretty tired physically, but with the exception of one missing pull rod, it appears to be fairly complete and original in the undercarriage. Based on what I can see in the pics it looks like it should still tune up and play fine as-is. RKR lowers 4; RKL lowers 8, with a second bell crank that probably lowered 2 originally, but has no rod now. Except for the pickup mod, it doesn't have a lot of oddball amateur tweaks you often see on old guitars. The guitar is basically like an early model Maverick, but with a better, more substantial and more versatile P/R changer design. So, whatever a tired early model raised neck Maverick in similar condition would be worth in Oz, this guitar should be worth a bit more. If someone took the time to tear it down and rebuild it could be a really nice little guitar. I'd be into that if it were over here.

Benjamin Franz

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 3:50 pm    

Thanks all! Much appreciated.