The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Real fingers for a 6138 Maverick
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 1:26 pm    

I have a new project and I need changer fingers that are 2+2 (well, 2 + 1 would work as well).

The PSG is a Sho-Bud Maverick 6138 (gasp!). It will bet set up for C6.

I would like to retain the existing finger housing.

It measures 3 19/32" wide and 1 5/8" deep.

The finger dividers are 0.154" thick.

Here is the original finger:

and the other side:

The fingers are 0.190" thick and about 2.5" long.

The finger axle is 0.310" (5/16" ?) diameter and is 3.10" long.

Are there any OEM fingers that might work? Or will this require cutom made fingers?

````````````

Here what John Coop did to a 6138:
\

He made upgraded fingers like this:

I wish John was still with us.

Harry Jackson plays a 6138 hot rod.

Here's one he modified:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=224218

Another deceased member used to mod Maverick 6138 guitars but I can't recall his name. He lived in Indiana I think.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Last edited by Tony Oresteen on 20 May 2022 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 10:56 am    

The fingers you have are "real" fingers, they're just the top aluminum portion of the standard single raise/single lower finger from the era that the guitar was built. The fingers on all the various iterations of the Maverick through the years were just the upper portion of whatever the pro model changer de jour was, sans the scissor mechanism. The wire pull rods just used the raise helper spring hole.

If you're starting from scratch, and you have the tools and know-how to make the mods and fabricate the necessary parts, any style Sho-Bud fingers from the late '60s Baldwin era guitars through the last Super Pro style will work for what you want to do. The fingers themselves are all 3/16" wide with a 5/16" axle, but the mounting requirements for the stops, return spring mounts, etc. in the undercarriage vary for the different finger design iterations. The limited width of the Maverick requires a lot of that stuff to be sort of integrated into the end plate, which takes a bit of finagling.

The pictures you posted show a couple of the different mounting styles. The 5th & 6th pics show the earlier style with the 3-piece scissor, that style had slots in the scissor arms that stopped against a flange on the stamped steel bezel in the end plate window. The early versions of this style were 1 raise/1 lower, then they went to 2 raise/1 lower. Most of the 2/1 versions had cast pot metal/chrome fingers, as did all the subsequent designs. The 7th & 8th pics are the later mid-'70s-> style fingers. Those were the more modern style 2-piece scissors with a "comb" stop plate, the original OEM versions were 2 raise/2 lower or 3 raise/2 lower. The later Super Pro style had a slightly different scissor design to offset the return spring mount further, but mechanically they function the same.

Your best option would probably be to find someone who has converted a D10 to an SD and is parting out so you can get a complete changer with all the associated bits for mounting. Michael Yahl also sells repros of the 1/1 "Professional" style fingers that would match what you currently have, but with the scissor mechanism included. Those are aluminum, like Coop's would have been. There is also a guy on ebay who sells complete sets of OEM pot metal Super Pro fingers, 3 raise/2 lower. Those will work also, but the approach and additional parts you'll need to install will be different, and you'll need to mill out a bigger window in the end plate (like pic 8 ).

Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 8:15 pm    

Ian,

Thank you for your detailed and lengthy reply. I am aware of Michael's Pro 1 fingers as I have a 6139 and a 6140 that use them. Knowing now that they will fit the 6138 finger housing I will get a set and use them. While I wanted 2+1 or 2+2 I can make 1+1 work.

I do have access to a mill and cutting out the larger opening will not be an issue.

This is going to be a long but fun project as I learn the "under the hood" mechanics of a PSG.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8