The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want Copedent to Get A6 Tuning on E9 Neck
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 12:29 pm    

I'm trying to figure out a copedent to get an A6 (or other x6 tuning) like a lap steel without having to hold too many levers/pedals for an extended period on an E9 neck. Basically, to get the advantage of a 6 string lap steel with one change.

I think I've figured out that, if I use the franklin pedal that I have, which already lowers the 10 -1, then add a -1/2 on 9, and a +1/2 on 6 it would get me A C# E F# G# C# or an A6 tuning. Am I on the right track here?

Bryce

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 2:25 pm    

Just push A and B pedals to get a good chunk of the A6 tuning - from bottom to top (all 10 strings):

C# D E F# A C# E A D# F#

What I do to get the rest of my 8-string A6 tuning on my only 10-string SD-10 with E9 neck is to

1. Put an extra heavy string on string 10 and tune it down to around G so that when the A pedal is depressed, it goes up to the low A; and

2. Either engage the string 9 D=>C# change (mine is on RKR, which btw, also lowers string 2 D#=>C#), or if I'm lazy and want to just use the A & B pedals, just tune string 9 down to C#.

This gives A C# E F# A C# E A x F#

where x = C# (3rd of A major scale) if I use the RKR approach and D# (b5 of A major scale) if I don't. But either way, I get a pretty full 8-string A6 tuning on the bottom 8 strings. The only odd part is the re-entrant (out-of-order) high F#.

As I recall, I use a .042 wound, or even a .044 or .046, on string 10, and it has not caused me any issues when I tune it back up to B. In fact, I actually prefer the tighter tension on string 10. I find the typical .036-.038 wound string to be a bit slack.

With the E9/B6 universal tuning, you get this same basic A6 tuning without any of this diddling around with the bottom two strings. Just hit A & B pedals and away you go. Or just hit the E=>Eb lever and you get a pretty full B6 tuning.

When I'm playing 10-string E9, I tend to use the 9th string D quite a bit, so this workaround helps since I use A6 non-pedal quite a lot, especially on Western Swing stuff.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 3:28 pm    

Thanks, that all makes good sense. I'm thinking, if I mod my Franklin to get an A6 on the bottom 6 it would be the same voicing and adjacent strings as a 6 string lap steel, and the transition would be easier than learning the licks differently on each guitar. But I'm still in fool around stage. I still like going back to my double neck where it's all laid out for me, but I'm transitioning to the Single E9 for ease of travel

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 4:23 pm    

My first guitar was a Fender 800, it had an interesting setup. The A pedal raised string 5 B>C# like normal, but it lowered 9 D>C#; B pedal raised 3 G#>A and lowered 10 B>A. Pedals down was A6 across strings 3-10 (+ the F# on string 1 too) with root on 10, and without that pesky D on 9.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 9:28 pm    

U-12 will cover it.

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 9:23 am    

A U-12....I was afraid of that Laughing

I just got a second guitar. I need at least 6 months before I'm allowed another !

Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 7:02 am    

Thanks Dave! Did as suggested and put a .46 on the 10th string, tuned down the 9th to C# and voila! a nice open 6th tuning for some patsy cline walkin after midnight without hauling my double neck

Thanks!!

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 20 May 2022 1:07 pm    

Bryce Van Parys wrote:
Thanks Dave! Did as suggested and put a .46 on the 10th string, tuned down the 9th to C# and voila! a nice open 6th tuning for some patsy cline walkin after midnight without hauling my double neck

Thanks!!

Bingo! Yup, that's my approach. In fact, Walkin' After Midnight is the exact type of tune that calls for this. One band I play with does tons of material like that, including a lot of Patsy and a bunch of Western Swing that really likes A6, no pedals. A bunch of Hank tunes too. Sure, I can play them without the low strings in the tuning. But with this, I can get almost the exact tuning that's on my Clinesmith without having to always tote it. Sometimes, it's tough finding room for it or making the switch.

I have an Anapeg that I got already set up in a more-or-less 10-string E9/B6 universal G# B E F# G# B E G# D# F#, so it's already set up for that. And of course, my Zum U12 too. But I have an SD-10 set up very standard E9 that I really like sometimes, and this did the trick.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 4:35 pm    

How about a setup like Danny Sneed's?

Dave Mudgett

Post  Posted 20 May 2022 6:24 pm    

Just so people know what Danny Sneed's setup is about, here's a quote from Russ Wever on this thread on that very subject - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=253870 - it's the 10th reply.

Russ Wever wrote:
Think about the 'usual' E9th tuning. Push A & B pedals and have an 'A' chord (open).
Now think about having it tuned already to the 'A' chord and you push the A & B
pedals down to lower string 3,5,6 & 10 to the 'E' chord. This is how Danny does it!
But wait, he tunes it all down a whole-tone! So it ends up that he has a G tuning in
place of the usual E9th.
As well, he has the 'Chalker' version of C6th, with
an E on top and a low D and A in place of the low C.
Danny's definitely one of my favorites.
~Russ

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 7:52 am    

On my E9, my A6 "safety net" is strings 4-9 with A and B pedals down and a lever that lowers by D to a C#. My regular six string A6 tuning. I also have a bonus high A on my 3rd string,

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 10:53 am    

Send me your snail-mail address and I'll send a copy of my setup your way. I've been getting my "6th stuff" on the A6th side of the E9th tuning for many years and have even given up my E9/B6 Uni guitars because I don't need that tuning anymore. I also am able to get the usual "6th" changes using the standard E9th KL's. It's all there on 10 strings!!!
PRR

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 6:56 pm     Re: Want Copedent to Get A6 Tuning on E9 Neck

Bryce Van Parys wrote:
I'm trying to figure out a copedent to get an A6 (or other x6 tuning) like a lap steel without having to hold too many levers/pedals for an extended period on an E9 neck. Basically, to get the advantage of a 6 string lap steel with one change.

I think I've figured out that, if I use the franklin pedal that I have, which already lowers the 10 -1, then add a -1/2 on 9, and a +1/2 on 6 it would get me A C# E F# G# C# or an A6 tuning. Am I on the right track here?

Bryce

Duane Marrs put this tuning on my old S-10 Sho~Bud many years ago. I have used it ever since. He referred to it as his "Full Gospel" tuning.

I also had John Fabian build a Carter with this tuning on it years ago.

I currently have it on my Mullen Discovery, and yes I know the Discovery is designed only to accomodate 4 pedals. I have since scrapped the raise on the 2nd string Eb to E.

Duane used this setup when he played at the "Cowboy Church". He had a sound all his own!

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr