The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My 1st PSG Build, Making progress now.
Tony Oresteen

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 12:54 pm    

Andy DePaule wrote:
I've got the Neck & Inlaid Fretboard Combo almost done now.
I still need to cut a little relief under the bottom of the neck so only the ends and a bit in the center will make contact with the soundboard. Will do that when I'm back in Oregon with better equipment to work on it.

The neck is Quilted Maple with a little burl in it at the 14th fret.
Frets are White Muscle shell and the trim around the Frets and the Position Dots are New Zealand Paua Abalone.
A few iPhone photos so you can see how nice it is coming out from various angles.

Starting to take shape and I'm beginning to get hot to be done and see how it will play?
Still need to decide if the 5" X 6" Changer Block will be Quilted Maple, Flamed Koa or Aluminum? Will depend on if I can find suitable well matching woods or not.

Just wow Andy!!!!!!!!

That is going to be one fantastic guitar! Keep us posted on your progress.

Too many guitars, not enough time to play
'72 Sho-Bud 6139, '71 Marlen 210
'78 Fender Stringmaster T8 black
PedalMaster D8

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 2:29 pm    

Looking great Andy, your inlay work is exquisite!

Coincidentally, I am working on one of your projects cabinets from some years back, I bet you recognize this one...

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 7:17 pm     That was from my friend

Mike DiAlesandro wrote:

Coincidentally, I am working on one of your projects cabinets from some years back, I bet you recognize this one...

Hi Mike,
That was from my friend Denny who passed away from a heart attack a year and a half ago at age 56. Way too young. We built guitars together for 25 years. Sure do miss his great humor and all.

We rebuilt 2 older Sho~Bud D-10's into 4 SD-10's.
I still have to finish up two of them when the weather warms up enough to spray lacquer again.

This is one of those that I did was finished and traded a few years ago.

This was the inlay on the front apron before the guitar was done and stained deep black and blue.

These are the two I have yet to finish...

This was the 8 Ball inlay before the guitar was stained green.

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 20 Jun 2022 11:27 am; edited 3 times in total

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 2:48 am    

WOW Andy those guitars are screeming "This Buds For You".
Beautiful.

Barry

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 3:09 am    

Andy, Quite stunning cabinets you and your friend Denny built. My condolences on losing your friend and work partner. I actually am Denny's age (58) and agree he left this mortal coil much too soon.

Question : I noticed the light weight of the cabinet. What type of wood is it built from?

The grain is something else, almost dances in the light.

Thanks,
Mike D

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 4:31 am    

Whoaaaa!!! Where is all this beautifully figured wood coming from????? And beautiful craftsmanship!!!!

Tim Toberer

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 5:15 am    

Stunning work! I love the Bigsby influence on the flattop. Did Bigsby start the tradition of putting your name on your guitar? It screams 1950's country. That is just plain cool!

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 13 May 2022 4:27 pm     This Bus's for you!

Barry Coker wrote:
WOW Andy those guitars are screeming "This Buds For You".
Beautiful.

Barry

Thanks Barry,
Wish I had thought of "This Bud's for you!"... How kool is that. Laughing Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 13 May 2022 4:37 pm     Quilted Big Leaf Maple.

Mike DiAlesandro wrote:
Andy, Quite stunning cabinets you and your friend Denny built. My condolences on losing your friend and work partner. I actually am Denny's age (5Cool and agree he left this mortal coil much too soon.

Question : I noticed the light weight of the cabinet. What type of wood is it built from?

The grain is something else, almost dances in the light.

Thanks,
Mike D

Thanks Mike,
The wood is Quilted Big Leaf Maple. Getting harder to find and much more expensive all the time. That kind of maple is local from the west coast. (Left Coast some say)
As far as maple goes this species is rather soft, but the only maple I know of that has a quilted pattern in some trees. Not sure what causes some of the trees to grow like that.

Denny and I found it at local lumber shop being sold as 10' X 10" X 2" Boards back a few years ago for just $18 per board foot if I remember right.
They had about 5 of the boards like that. We picked out the nicest though all were great. What was dumb of us was to just buy the one we needed for those cabinets.
Realized how stupid we were and went back the next day to get the rest, but they were sold already. Missed a great opportunity. Sad
It's often used in solid body electric bass and guitars.
To get that pattern you have to use the flat cut grain and not the vertical grain.
Thats why it difficult and un-stable and really not suitable for the thin side and backs in acoustic instruments. In an arched back the arch itself stabilizes it but I should have laminated the sides to keep them as intended. I'll do that if I ever try to do another acoustic like this.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 11 Jun 2022 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 13 May 2022 4:49 pm     Thanks Sonny

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Whoaaaa!!! Where is all this beautifully figured wood coming from????? And beautiful craftsmanship!!!!

Thanks Sonny for the kind words on our craftsmanship.
This is a body we made for Tom Bradshaw a few years back for one of his re-builds.
It is also Quilted Maple. Denny did most of the work and finish on the body and I did the pearl logo with White & Black mother of pearl and red coral re-con stone.

Details about Quilted Maple are in another answer to Mike DiAlesandro's question above this one. Very Happy
I also love using this wood.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 16 May 2022 7:31 am     The PSG Denny Made & More

Mike DiAlesandro wrote:

Hi Sonny,
Not sure if it's just the photo, but the color sure did change since Denny finished the the PSG body.
Here is a photo of it after he sprayed the finish.
The dye was bought from StewMac. Not a very good dye in my opinion.
Denny left the body in his garage workshop for three years unfinished. With the weather changes that caused a lot of light checking in the lacquer.
His wife gave me the body after he passed away. I gave it to my good friend Tommy Huff who makes really nice amplifier and speaker cabinets.
I guess he traded it to you which is fine.

This was another electric Denny built for himself about the same time with one of our Dragon Fretboard Inlays.

This is the last guitar Denny was almost done building when he died. All African Sapeli Mahogany.
I did the final setup for this after his death as it was going to his step daughter.
It sounded even better than it looked.
This acoustic guitar also had our DePaule Supply inlays in it.
The website address for my company is www.luthiersupply.com

Denny and I worked together in the wood working department of Country Coach before it went belly up. They made really nice RV Motor Homes.
I did the custom chairs and he built the fine wood dash boards.
At that time in 1994 I started teaching a night class at Lane Community College on beginning guitar making.
Denny came to help make sure the student didn't get hurt using the tools and also to learn guitar making.
He became a better luthier than me over time. Thats how we became close friends and started building guitars together.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 10 Sep 2023 7:58 am; edited 4 times in total

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 8:40 pm     Re: All Pull 3 Up & 3 Down

Andy DePaule wrote:
Mark McCornack wrote:
Hi Andy,
Wow! That is going to be a beauty! Not surprising, from your other work I've seen. I'm curious, what are you going to do for the changer? Are you going to machine your own parts or buy a changer from someone? All-Pull? Splits? I think that aspect of the work would be most intimidating. Like you, I've built a few archtop guitars and a few banjos, but tackling a psg mechanism seems pretty daunting.
Please keep us all posted with this! I'd love to see the progression.
Cheers,
Mark
(p.s. Thanks again for your past help on my Bud crossover questions. I got it all squared away)

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the nice comments. The changer I plan to use is an All Pull 3 Up & 3 Down.
Not sure of the brand, but think it may be Carter or MSA?

Maybe someone on this thread will know where it was made. Question
This drawing looks like the one I'm planning to use but does not have the bearing. Photos of the actual Changer attached. Hope someone will chime in on what it was made for?

I also have these changer fingers I bought from Jim Flynn a while ago as well as enough parts to make a couple more if I get a riveter.

I prefer this kind of changer that I can add washers to widen the string spacing.
I need that because of my bad right hand shaking needing it.
Found and ordered some 1mm thin washers on Amazon that I can add as needed between the fingers.
The ID of the washers is 0.047" (12mm) so I'll need to ream them out to the 1/2" size of the axel and opening on the fingers.

As for Splits, I have them on my Custom Mullen and never use them. Doubt I'll want to put them on this steel.
I just never seem to use some of the things available on the tunings.
Love to see you post some photos of your archtop guitars. Those are my favorite guitars to make. However most I've built were flat tops because they are easy to sell and cost less in work. materials and money to make.
Best wishes,
Andy

I notice the dimensions of the pivot drawing are equally space but the manufactured parts are more like 3 or 4 to 1. Maybe I’m missing something but wondering why.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 19 May 2022 10:45 pm     Not the same

The drawing is not the same as the changer I have. Just that the design is the same general design. The best thing on this design is the longer lower return springs required.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 10:48 pm     Re: Not the same

Andy DePaule wrote:
The drawing is not the same as the changer I have. Just that the design is the same general design. The best thing on this design is the longer lower return springs required.

I thought so - the key to a good changer is the proportion.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 23 May 2022 2:44 pm     Re: Not the same

John Hyland wrote:
Andy DePaule wrote:

If you know some things about the best ways a changer can be balanced such as the pivot points, finger lengths and spring length and other things along that line please tell because it may save a lot of testing in the future? Very Happy

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 2:49 pm     Re: Not the same

Andy DePaule wrote:
John Hyland wrote:
Andy DePaule wrote:

If you know some things about the best ways a changer can be balanced such as the pivot points, finger lengths and spring length and other things along that line please tell because it may save a lot of testing in the future? Very Happy

Im still working on it!! so nothing to suggest atm although the set of made pieces in the post a few back would make for long lower throws and for the lower B >>Bb might me problematic especially if a split is involved which requires a longer throw to work.
I also believe the longer the spring the less effort required at the end of the throw. (proportion of stretch of the string is lower hence less effort).

That said I too would like to see some of the key manufactures proportions for all pull

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 23 May 2022 2:59 pm     Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Someone asked about the lacquer I use. I've always used Nitrocellulose which was the standard for a long time.
I have thought about giving the water based lacquers a try, but have yet to try it.
Nitrocellulose is what I'm used to and trust. For now I'll stick with it.
When in Oregon I get a local brand made here in town, but have also had success with other brands.
Avoid the canned spray on lacquers because they don't sand out very well.

I usually use home made shellac to seal. For that I get both light and dark shellac flakes and fill a glass jar about half full with them. I then add Everclear (Or as George Jones said "White Lightning") filling the jar to about 3/4 full. Let that soak for a few days stiring from time to time until all the flakes are dissolved completely. Brush that on and sand flat about two or three coats. It drys fast, sands nice and you can spray the lacquer right over it.

The shellac also works well for doing a French Polish finish. Nice for touch up work or even an entire finish. There are some youtube videos on doing that also.
The best classic & flamenco guitars are always done with French Polish and never lacquer. Not as tough as a lacquer finish, but easy to apply with minimal equipment.

For open grain woods I fill the open pores a few square inches at a time with 5 minute epoxy which I then sand until the surface is flat. Missing this step will leave a poor finish because the lacquer will sink into the pores and look very amateurish.

Maple, Poplar and other closed grain woods don't need this step.
Remember that the slower to build them the slower they fall apart. Winking Laughing

I spray several light coats. sanding lightly between coats. When I have what I feel is the right number of coats (From 5 to 8 thin coats is normal) I sand down until the orange peal is all gone and the surface flat and smooth. No bare wood showing.
Start with a 320 grit and then 400, 600, 1,000 grit wet and dry with water and use a flat eraser as a sanding block. Use wet and dry sand paper using water with dishwashing soap in it as a lubricant.
Let the finish sit like that for a couple of weeks until it settles. Then two final thin light coats. Let that wait a day or two and sand again with only 600 and 1,000 wet and dry sand paper using water with a little dishwashing soap in it as a lubricant.

After the sanding go to the buffing with soft cotton wheels until the finish looks like glass.

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 3:06 am     First PSG build

Hey Andy, that is just beautiful, can't wait to hear it. I am working on my double 10 Sho-Bud, going to change the finger raise plates from double to 3 raise, got my pop rivet gun here, doing hand exercises now.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 10:29 am     Re: First PSG build

Steven Black wrote:
Hey Andy, that is just beautiful, can't wait to hear it. I am working on my double 10 Sho-Bud, going to change the finger raise plates from double to 3 raise, got my pop rivet gun here, doing hand exercises now.

Thanks Steve,
Got a delay when I came back from overseas. My son had stuck so much stuff in my work shop there was no room to move. We started moving it all to storage yesterday. Still more to sort out because I hate working in a messy area.

My next step is the most critical so far. Have to design and make the end block.
Must be sure to get all the measurements perfect. Also will be designing the nut block. Planning to do both in some nice Quilted Maple to match the neck.

Did you make the parts for the Sho~Bud changer? I imagine you'd need a steel break tool to fold over the scissor sections with the puller holes?
I did buy a small 18" steel break at Harbor Freight for about $40.00 and thinking I should also get a riveter.
Good luck on your project,
Andy

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2022 4:30 pm    

Whoa! These woods and lacquer jobs are absolutely NUTS! Whoa!

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 Jun 2022 10:47 am     Thanks Ross

Ross Shafer wrote:
quilted maple moves me!

Thanks Ross,
I had hope you would like the plan for the PSG since I'm using many of your ideas.
My skills and available tooling are not as refined as yours so I'll be no threat to you in the future.
Your work has really impressed me. Keep on trucking' those magnificent new Sierra's.
Best wishes,
Andy

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 7:27 am    

Wow Andy you have knocked it out of the ball park just.
Amazing craftsmanship!!!!!!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 7:39 am    

I'm guessing the Franklin Changer is one of the best changers ever made.
The pedal an knee leaver action is very good.
Also Paul senior made the only changer on his steels that can lower the stings that will touch the fret board.

Some name brand steels I've worked on do good too lower a string a full step.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2022 9:47 am     Thanks Johnnie

Johnie King wrote:
Wow Andy you have knocked it out of the ball park just.
Amazing craftsmanship!!!!!!

Thanks Johnnie,
I value that coming from you.
I've done a fair amount of repair work, a little adjusting and restoring on PSG's, but this is my first from the bottom up.

Also thanks for the information on the changer because I didn't know what kind of steel it came from? A Franklin sounds good to me.

I didn't understand this comment "Paul senior made the only changer on his steels that can lower the stings that will touch the fret board"?

BTW, your postal money order is on the way now. No hurry as the end plates are for a distance future project*. The legs will be to make myself the pack-a-seat I've never had.
*Thinking to build myself a small light weight PSG with just 2 or 3 pedals and 4 knees. A very basic one but with really nice exotic wood and inlays.
Best wishes,
Andy

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2022 6:33 am     Re: Neck/Inlaid Fretboard Combo

Wow Andy how many pedal steel have you started?
Beautiful!!!

Tony Oresteen wrote:
Andy DePaule wrote:
I've got the Neck & Inlaid Fretboard Combo almost done now.
I still need to cut a little relief under the bottom of the neck so only the ends and a bit in the center will make contact with the soundboard. Will do that when I'm back in Oregon with better equipment to work on it.

The neck is Quilted Maple with a little burl in it at the 14th fret.
Frets are White Muscle shell and the trim around the Frets and the Position Dots are New Zealand Paua Abalone.
A few iPhone photos so you can see how nice it is coming out from various angles.

Starting to take shape and I'm beginning to get hot to be done and see how it will play?
Still need to decide if the 5" X 6" Changer Block will be Quilted Maple, Flamed Koa or Aluminum? Will depend on if I can find suitable well matching woods or not.

Just wow Andy!!!!!!!!

That is going to be one fantastic guitar! Keep us posted on your progress.