The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacramento/NorCal steel jam - Nov 19, 2022
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 5:46 pm    

[UPDATED 11/14/22]

This Saturday Nov 19, 2022 is the fall steel jam at The Side Door in Curtis Park, 2900 Franklin Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95818 (the SW corner of Franklin & 4th Ave) from 11am until ~4pm. Pedal steel, lap steel, dobro, all are welcome. See the note below about load-in and parking.

There will also be an evening performance the same day at 7:00pm hosted by John Green, the owner of the Side Door, featuring Geoffrey Miller plus others TBA. The afternoon jam is open to all, the evening show will be a ticketed event for spectators to provide a little gas money for the performers, more info on that here: https://www.thesidedoor.net/event-details/steel-guitar-jam-and-concert-2

LOAD-IN and PARKING: The Side Door is right at the edge of a residential neighborhood so parking is a little sparse right at the venue. There is plenty of parking within the surrounding few blocks, on Franklin Blvd and some of the side streets. You can drop your gear before parking, but not a bad idea to bring a cart or something to schlep it. The entrance we will be using is on the side of the building (yes, the actual Side Door), it's the big blue door facing 4th Ave, next to the barber shop.

There will not be any food or beverages available at the venue, but there is nice little beer garden/pizza place right next door on Franklin (in the same building), and another place a couple of blocks up, or you can of course just bring your own provisions.

We will again be using Band-In-A-Box tracks through the house PA system. There are some .mp3 practice tracks and charts generated from the Band in a Box tracks that we used at the last jam, plus a few additions in case anyone who is coming wants to work out a little. The charts in the folder match the tracks, but keep in mind that neither are actually accurate arrangements of the songs, it's all generated by Band in a Box, with arrangements tweaked to make the tunes jam friendly. Hopefully it's intelligible enough to make sense and be useful, you can find the original tunes on youtube. If anyone has a request or suggestion for any other tunes, different stuff we might want to include, post them here or shoot me a note and I will do my best to add them to the folder. Tracks and a songlist are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zcbbdgk7fonb9mu/AAA_TsCQxrmqfGciqwVr033-a

Feel free to share this post with others who may be interested in attending. If you want to come, hang out and mingle without bringing your rig, that's fine too. We had about a dozen players last time, plus a lot of other musicians and steel-playing spectators. It was a fun day, made some new friends, looking forward to doing it again. There were quite a few folks who said they'd be coming last time but didn't make it, I hope y'all can join us this time, there is plenty of room in the venue.

Hope to see you there. Thanks!

Last edited by Ian Worley on 15 Nov 2022 9:33 am; edited 12 times in total

Jeff Worms

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 4:50 pm    

Cool!

All the players were great last time and the Venue Owner John is the coolest. Spectated last time, I’m gonna have to wail on this next one. Hope they have fire sprinklers, I’m bringing only the hottest licks!

Post that MP3 thing if you can, I’d like to run those tunes for practice anyway

As it gets closer i’ll help promote it. Let’s show the world why they call sacramento the “Nashville of the west”. (Nobody calls us that, but they should!)

How about some Billie Eilish and maybe some Kanye West tunes to just mix it up a bit?

Alright. Thanks Ian for organizing this, looking forward to it.
J-Money

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 6:13 pm    

Sad Dang! I’m booked again….hopefully there will be more after this one.

Jeff Worms

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 6:45 pm    

What about your cool dog Dave, can he come?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 9:14 pm    

Jeff Worms wrote:
How about some Billie Eilish and maybe some Kanye West tunes to just mix it up a bit?

Laughing Well, not quite, but I have some ideas to mix it up a bit. I hope to bring some BIAB files with some different styles: blues, bluegrass, R&B, rock, smooth jazz, etc.. As much as I love country shuffles and western swing, it's nice to stretch out a bit and broaden our horizons.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 9:51 pm    

Dave Zirbel wrote:
Sad Dang! I’m booked again….hopefully there will be more after this one.

I'm hoping we can keep doing it regularly, as long as interest and enthusiasm persist. Is there another Saturday +/- a week or two of Oct 1 that you could make Dave? It's still flexible at this point, part of the reason I wanted to throw it out early to make sure there weren't a lot of major conflicts for folks. And yes, your dog is welcome even if you can't make, just get him an Uber, or maybe he can catch a ride with b0b.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 7:33 am    

Quote:
And yes, your dog is welcome even if you can't make, just get him an Uber, or maybe he can catch a ride with b0b.

Griffin (AKA Grins) says thanks for the invitation! 🐕

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2022 4:37 pm    

The OP has been updated. Date change for the Fall NorCal steel jam, see above: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3087597#3087597

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 7:50 am    

I'm okay with either date at this time (Sept 17, or Oct 8). My Saturdays are usually free.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 11:05 am    

Sept. 17 is better for me, but either date will work.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2022 12:21 pm    

The space is not actually available on Sept 17 so I think we'll be aiming for xxx. Hopefully this works for everyone but if there are a lot of conflicts we can always defer a little farther into the future.

Last edited by Ian Worley on 19 Jul 2022 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 7:53 am    

I'm going to do my best to keep the 18th open so I can make it this time. If I do I'll bring a new era Sierra or two for people to try.

Looking forward to seeing and meeting y'all!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2022 9:39 am    

Hey Ross, would be great if you can join us. There is a separate email conversation going right now as not everyone checks the forum. About half the folks who've responded said they can't make or have conflicts on Oct 8th, so the date may still be adjusted further. Would be later if so. Maybe we can find a date that Dave Z is free too, he's the James Brown of NorCal pedal steel.

Tomas Enguidanos

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 3:25 am     I’m in!

Can I please get access to the BIB tracks?

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2022 7:54 am    

So far I have no conflicts with 10-8, and I'm looking forward to getting together with you all again!

Thanks for putting the energy into organizing this Ian!

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2022 10:23 am     Sat Nov 5 or Sat Nov 19

I spoke with John from the Side Door this morning, there was a miscommunication and the alternate date we had been looking at has been booked with someone else. There were a few folks who said they couldn't make the other dates in Oct anyway, so John has offered us either Sat Nov 5 or Sat Nov 19 as open dates for the steel jam. The space is now almost fully booked in Oct and it's not available on Sundays, so it has to be on a Saturday. Please let me know how those two dates fit your schedules. Not everyone keeps track of stuff here so I'm going to send out another email later to the folks who came last time to try and figure which of those days works for the most folks and we'll go from there.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2022 2:22 pm    

I have an afternoon/early evening gig on Nov. 5th so that date is no good for me. Nov. 19 is wide open.

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2022 6:38 pm    

It's OK, hey Ian, cudos for staying in there and trying to get a date that works for the norcal players!

Hey Dave Z., it would be great to get you up all the way up to Sacramento... how are you on these dates?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 10:43 am     Steel jam is Sat Nov 19

We have confirmed Saturday Nov 19, 2022 as the date for the fall steel jam at the Side Door in Sacramento, from around 11am until ~4pm. The OP had been updated: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3087597#3087597. Mark your calendars, I hope to see you all there.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2022 11:36 am    

It's on my calendar. Thanks Ian for setting this up.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 8:46 am    

Just bumping this up to the top. NorCal steel jam is two months out, Sat Nov 19, 2022, 11am-4pm. Will have more updates soon, hope y'all can make it

Eric Duarte

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2022 8:42 pm    

I’m in! I’ll bring refreshments Wink

Jonathan Mitguard

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2022 9:12 pm     Steel Jam

I had heard rumors and I guess it's true. Might have to make the trek up there.
Thanks Ian

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2022 6:35 pm    

Hi Jon, I hope you are well and staying busy, it would be great if you're free and can make it up and join us. Hope to see you on 11/19!

I think we'll make Dave's pooch Grins the official mascot of this jam. Pickin' and ...Grins...?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2022 7:15 am    

There's a chance I can make the jam if there is room left. Very Happy