The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What pedal shape do you prefer?
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 8:27 pm    

PSG's have seen an evolution of pedals from early "Ford-Truck clutch pedals" thru more and more narrow pedals, down to almost 3/4" wide "sticks".

But, we've also seen a certain move away from "gas pedal"-CURVED shapes away from Bigsby, Sho-But and 90's Sierra (Crown & Session) to almost sticking out flat like Zum and Franklin.

I must say, I like the Zum and even more simple Franklin "flat-top" design best for feel, playability.

What are YOUR preferred designs, not so much for LOOKS, but for FEEL and PLAYABILITY?

Thanks!... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 11:12 pm     We don't ever have shoes on in the house

We don't ever have shoes on in the house so I play with just socks on.
Even when I was doing gigs I often kicked off my slip-on shoes because I like too feel the pedals. For that reason I like the pedals on my Promat the best for comfort and that would be the same if I'd had an Emmons which I never have owned.
That rounded pedal just feels really good under the feet.

My Mullen has similar pedals to many of the modern steels and while the edges are less comfortable, the action on most modern steels is so easy that the pedals make little difference to playing.

Got my first steel, a Sho~Bud S-10, in 1975. The action on that was harder as was my next steel, a Sho~Bud crossover. Both had the rack and barrel system, but I got used to the wider pedals because it's all I'd known. They are also rounded front to back, but not on the sides where you feel the edges when you rock from side to side.

I've seen several you tube videos of other guys who play bare foot or in socks so I'm not the only strange one out there. Laughing Very Happy

Never could figure out how some guys play in pointed boots with hard soles?
But lots of them play way better than I ever did. Shocked Whoa! Laughing
I wonder if they play with mittens in Alaska? Laughing
In Saigon we even ride our motorbikes in flip flops. Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 18 May 2022 11:42 pm    

My old AVM had cast pedals that probably were sourced from some builder of heavy machinery. Slightly curved, about 40-45 mm wide and covered in rubber. Very grippy, very comfortable to play barefoot. My p/p's wide pedals are also OK, despite the lack of rubber on top.

The narrow, sharp-edged pedals on my Zum are painful to play without shoes. I have added some rubber pieces and rounded off the edges, which makes them less uncomfortable, but not perfect.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 9:01 am    

I agree with Andy. The rounded edge on the Emmons cast pedals makes them comfortable to play with or without shoes.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 9:01 pm    

Y'awlls play naked?

Very Happy

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 20 May 2022 11:10 pm     Ugh

J D Sauser wrote:
Y'awlls play naked?

Very Happy

... J-D.

Ugh, what a horrid sight that would be. I ain't young any more. Whoa! Shocked Laughing
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 4:05 pm    

I always loved the older Sierra pedals.

John Hyland

South Australia
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2022 2:36 pm    

Apart from the one I’m making the only PSG I have played is a mid 70s sho bud with the wide knurled tops. At one time I had an allergic reaction to wearing sandals made in India. My feet blew up like balloons and I needed crutches. Playing in bare feet at gigs wasn’t much. Even with out the medical event the knurled tops are not kind to bare feet.

As I said I don’t have much to compare them to but the idea of a soft rounded side to roll off the pedal sounds like the ideal but how that interferes when pressing two pedals I’m not sure.
But i can see how a flat pedal gives more assurance of the pedal travel is you are a bit off centre.