The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leg length vs steel type
Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 9:01 am    

Recently I've started to get more serious about playing steel. I have a GFI EXPO S-10. I've started to focus on good habits with my feet. I'd like to be able to easily pivot on my heel between pedals. It seems that when I'm in a comfortable position to easily rock my foot between pedals, my knees don't reach the levers. Over the weekend, I played a S-10 GFI Ultra with pad at Billy Coopers and it felt perfect in that regard. The knee levers are further back because of the pad.

Is this a common thing? I'd rather have the light weight of the expo and keep the money difference.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 10:46 am    

Knee lever flags could help with KLs too far forward.

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=373580&highlight=knee+lever+flags

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 11:16 am    

very interesting. Looks like just what I need. Definitely worth a try.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 2:26 pm    

We had an early 2000 Expo S-10 that my wife was learning on. The pedals were too far to the left and the lkl knee lever interfered. I moved the pedals a little to the right to more line up with the left knee levers. Moved the pedal rod connectors on the pedals to the opposite sides. Took care of the problem.

When I downsized and went from a D-10 to a Single neck, to lighten the load, I went with the GFI S-10 with pad as it was closer to a D-10 width that I was used to and only a couple of pounds different in weight.
I used my Wife's S-10 on a couple jobs but missed having arm support (It was also sold as part of downsizing)

The Ultra S-10 with pad (keyless) was bought from Billy Cooper's back in December 2021.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 8:19 pm    

Did you buy the guitar new?

Turn the guitar over and check underneath. I bought a used GFI S12 Ultra guitar and someone with large legs had moved the LKL farther to the Left. I have to move the knee lever back to its original place.

I have another GFI S12 Ultra that fits me good with original knee lever spacing.

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 4:45 am    

Jack, I appreciate that feedback. I do think the extended is probably more comfortable for me.

Bobby, I'll have to take a look underneath. Thanks for the idea. All of these replies have been helpful. I've tried sitting further down the neck also. That helps some. I'm also going to order some flags today. I played piano growing up, and I have a feeling that has to do with it as well. There is just a certain distance I like from the pedals. However, I'd like a new guitar to feel more like a choice I saved for rather than a need. So, if I can get there with these options then I can relax a bit on it.

Don't get me wrong. The guitar I saw was beautiful and calling to me. Smile My bank account was singing a different tune. I'm only an hour from Billy Cooper's though.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 2:16 am    

Although I was used to a D-10 width, it never hindered me when playing my Wife's Expo S-10. We did have the floor pedal location issue, but never had a Knee lever placement issue. The Expo we had was stock, no knee lever relocations.
"Flags" are usually used on Right moving knee levers (if used at all).

As a newbie, I would take the guitar over to Billy Cooper's and let him evaluate how you are sitting at the guitar. Wrong chair height and/or how close you are sitting can make a major difference.

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 5:39 am    

Jack, unfortunately, Billy told me I needed a double (with pad) guitar to put the knee levers closer to me. I can find a position that works, but it's a small area. If I'm not in the perfect position, my left knee left misses. And, when I scoot more left or closer, my feet have to work too hard to lift up. Time to start stretching I guess. lol.

Thanks for the info on the flags. That explains why the GFI one seems to be made for the right side only.

From the sounds of it maybe moving my left levers is an option too.

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 1:19 pm    

As an update, I'm finding that the shoe I wear makes a big difference. Seems like a heeled shoe in particular helps tremendously.

Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 17 May 2022 8:24 pm    

I play an Expo too - you could also try adjusting the angle that the knee levers hang at - so like, if you're sitting further down the neck and positioning your legs more diagonally than straight-on toward the pedals - you can then angle the LKL more to the right to kind of follow your more slanted body positioning (if that makes sense?)

One of the main things I love about my Expo is how easy it is to adjust every little thing, even for a novice. I'm surprised people don't hype that more in reviews of those guitars. Took me a few weeks fiddling with positions and knee lever angles and all that - but I eventually found the sweet spot. Stick with it! https://www.gfimusicalproducts.com/_files/ugd/deb4ea_5f0f7a5f8ffa41e6860c1b1f5ff143fc.pdf

Alex McCallum

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2022 4:06 am    

Travis, thank you. I didn't even think about that. I thought I could possibly slide them, but never thought about angling. Great idea. I think that just might do it.