The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  please close
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 May 2022 12:12 pm    

very tough decision but I've decided to part with my Excel 'ExStar/Superb II' guitar which I've owned a little over 7 months. completed in Sept of last year, it's been played many happy hours at home but only left the house twice and has never been gigged.

loaded to the max: 10 pedals and 14 levers(!!!) and with an incredible 7-raise/5-lower changer and split tuning available on every string, the copedent possibilities are endless. as most of you know, the Excel is a marvel of modern steel technology and this is Mitsuo's most current cutting-edge design. he's just an email away and has always been quick, helpful, and patient in his replies.

weighs just 37 lbs (49 in the case). scale is 24.5". black mica finish with a subtle sparkle. has standard Excel single coil pickups operated by a single 3-position toggle switch. tone is wonderful and the tuning rock solid. comes with assorted tuning wrenches and extra bell cranks. the locking case (keys included) is lightweight with wheels, and suitable for air travel. I replaced the ExStar logo on the guitar with custom Fuzzy decals, a name I always loved. I also added decals to the case and have a couple extra I will include.

the main reason I'm selling is because my gigs have slowed to a trickle which was not the case when I purchased. I've played a total of just 3 shows this year and my summer calendar remains mostly empty. I simply can't justify owning two high-end guitars when the gigs aren't there.

I paid over 7k. I'm asking $6000 shipped. I'm also willing to drive a few hours to avoid the shipping.

before/after logo pics:

if preferred, I can peel off the Fuzzy decal which would leave the guitar looking like this:

Last edited by scott murray on 10 Jul 2022 10:30 am; edited 6 times in total

Nicholas Scott

Norfolk, VA USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2022 12:45 pm    

Wow. What a beautiful instrument. I’ve owned an Excel in the past. Extremely under appreciated. Good luck with the sale Scott. If I could swing it, it’d be mine.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 May 2022 4:10 pm    

That's sure one sleek sports car of a pedal steel...

I think it looks the best without the Fuzzy decal.

The Rolex of pedal steels Wink

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 9 May 2022 5:50 pm    

Amazing mechanical beauty.

How long was the build?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 9 May 2022 7:06 pm    

thanks for the comments fellas. she's an absolute beauty

Mitsuo promises his builds within 2 months, I ordered in late July and it was finished before October

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 5:38 am    

Beautiful Guitar - somebody's gonna be set for life. What's the main difference between Excel and ExStar construction ? I see there's a different fret board also.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 6:22 am    

Who makes those cases? They have wheels?

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 10:16 am    

it's the case that came with the guitar, the brand name appears to be Ample. it's got 2 wheels for upright mobility

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 10:19 am    

Richard Alderson wrote:
Beautiful Guitar - somebody's gonna be set for life. What's the main difference between Excel and ExStar construction ? I see there's a different fret board also.

it's my understanding that he has simply changed the name to 'ExStar by Excel' and upgraded the model from Superb to Superb II. I'm not sure of any differences other than the updated name and fretboard but I know he has constantly innovated and improved his design through the years

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 2:58 pm    

Saw this at the Dallas show. This has a newly re-designed changer. The strings tune from the changer end, the other simply holds the ball end of the string.

Phil Ajjarapu

Portland, via Austin, TX via Chicago
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 9:50 am    

I just got my u14 exstar a few weeks ago and it has the old sharkfin fretboards.

Those fretboards look great though.

Alan Struthers

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 7:17 pm    

Richard Alderson wrote:

I own an Excel ExStar and Mitsuo told me that the difference between the ExStar and the regular Excell is the installation of an aluminum bar running parallel to the strings, which eliminates cabinet drop completely. So far, this is true (and I've had this instrument for 2 years).

You can see the added bar in the fifth photo.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 8:01 pm    

Alan Struthers wrote:
installation of an aluminum bar running parallel to the strings.....

You can see the added bar in the fifth photo.

Are you talking about top side of guitar straddling both sides of the neck? That the only thing I can see that's not on all Excels.

Alan Struthers

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 11:17 am    

Memphislim said: Are you talking about top side of guitar straddling both sides of the neck? That the only thing I can see that's not on all Excels.

No. I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I was talking about the roughly 4" X 34" X 1/4" supporting member that runs between the two necks (on the underside of course). It has many holes drilled through it as seen in the fifth photo. You can see it in the sixth photo, too, but in this shot, you only see the 1/4" side. This feature, if I remember correctly, added $100 to the cost and perhaps a pound to the weight compared to a normal Excel.

Does that clarify my comment?

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 11:35 am    

That part is on all Excels. Thats what anchors/supports the cross shafts. Maybe in this case it is thicker?

Last edited by memphislim on 15 May 2022 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 2:35 pm     exstar?

"Are you talking about top side of guitar straddling both sides of the neck?"

Ive owned a lot of excels they never had those notched aluminum strips that extend beyond the changer. Im guessing thats the exstar feature.

Alan Struthers

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2022 11:53 am    

Memphislim says: That part is on all Excels. Thats what anchors/supports the cross shafts. Maybe in this case it is thicker?

I haven't been able to compare my ExStar to plain Excels, so I have to plead ignorance on this. I will say that the ExStar has no cabinet drop at all. Whatever the feature is, it is working. What I have is keyless and has the shorter scale, both of which may also contribute to minimizing cabinet drop. Sorry I can't be more help.

For the record, if I didn't already have several steels and other instruments (and bills to pay), I would certainly consider buying this because it is a quality guitar with a lighter-than-average weight.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 26 May 2022 11:59 am    

to the top, I'm certainly open to offers.

and for those who think this is too much guitar, think of it this way:
the guitar is loaded to the max and you can use as many or as few pedals and levers as you want. if you'd like to experiment with different changes, this guitar is perfect for that. you can put experimental changes on the extra levers or pedals before deciding to keep them. the extra levers don't get in the way and can be tucked away or removed altogether until you need them, as can the pedals.

Buddy Cage also had a 10x14 set-up on his later guitars. in fact, Mitsuo told me the last time he'd built a guitar with this many pedals/levers was the one he built for Buddy some years ago.

I'm fairly confident in saying this is the most versatile, state-of-the-art, loaded-yet-lightest guitar in existence.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 9:35 am    

bump. looking for offers

shipping now included

Last edited by scott murray on 8 Jun 2022 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2022 9:39 am    

This is the ultimate pedal steel!!!

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 4:27 pm    

Johnie King wrote:
This is the ultimate pedal steel!!!

coming from a man who has seen and played em all... thanks Johnie.

Jack Musgrave

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 4:42 pm    

Wow, what an amazing steel guitar. I had no idea you could put that many changes on any guitar Whoa!

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2022 4:35 pm    

The added bar(s) are the strips along the sides of the neck, four of them. Pretty sure.
All the stuff underneath is pretty standard for Excels from teh last 10 years at least.

My two (2008 and 2018) have separate headstock and changer pieces, and a wood/composite neck in between.

They have almost no cabinet drop, but this arrangement must assure that, I reckon.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 1:11 pm    

open to trade offers

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2022 1:42 pm    

Wow, that’s a lotta guitar for sure and very ingenious. Good luck on sale. If I were younger, I think I’d try that.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.