The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  12-STRING UNIVERSAL - my first PSG build!
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 4:25 am    

I haven't played this since I bought professionally made instruments, so it's time to dispose of it.

This notice is aimed at English readers within striking distance of where I live in the West Midlands, and I'm posting here because the British forum doesn't seem to let you post pictures. The guitar could only be shipped at huge cost (way more than what it's worth, which is approximately zero) and is such a beast that personal tuition is required to set it up!

I do have a couple of expensive flight cases that it fits into, but I shall probably end up selling those separately.

So if you want a 12-string uni to fool around with to see if you like the general principle, it might be of interest to you.

This a link to the thread I generated while I was building it http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=266082

and here's what it sounds like https://www.dropbox.com/s/csz5sivgfpohs0l/Crazy%20Arms_1.mp3?dl=0

I'll give it a while to see if anyone wants to rescue it, then I'll dismantle it for scrap and sell the pickup, which is the only bit I didn't make!

Brian Matchett

Belfast, UK
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 6:27 am     12 String Universal - My First Build

Hi Ian

The British Steelies Forum does indeed accommodate photos, I am a UK member myself. if you're having problems uploading photos you can contact a Moderator, 'Uncle Roy'or Bob Adams, is a man always on the ball, any Admin guy. New members are expected to undergo a short 'vetting' experience as they have had all sorts of time wasters, nutjobs and chancers trying to gain access to the Forum. You are obviously a genuine hopeful so you shouldn't have a problem. Any advice you need on anything PSG they will be happy to assist you, those guys know their stuff.

Good Luck Ian with the sale.
Mullen G2 SD10 3x5, WBS Ultimate SD10 5x5, Rittenberry SD10 3x5, Bennett SD10 5x5, Quilter Steelaire, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Nashville 112, Hilton VP, Ernie Ball VP, Ezzee Slide Bar, Boss DD3 Delay, Many 6 strings mainly Tele/Strat.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 7:59 am    

Thanks, Brian. I'm already a member - I just didn't realise you could post pics as I hadn't seen any until just after I'd finished posting my ad!

Anyway it's on both forums now, so hopefully I can rehome my old dog.

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 10:47 am     Uni 12

b0b now has a ‘Builders Corner’ sector you could delve into, Ian. I think you are eminently qualified. 😎

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 1:36 pm    

So he does, Jon, and you're very kind, but I'm traveling in the opposite direction. I'm retiring from building to concentrate on playing! Smile

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 8:37 am    

No interest in this, so I'll start dismantling next week. The only saleable part is the GL Eon pickup.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 10:22 am    

if that guitar was here in the states, it would sell for sure. shipping would be the issue.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 10:57 am    

Posting a price would help it sell regardless of location.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 12:04 pm    

I don't want money, just a good home!
But it's a bit of a beast and it would be quite a lot to take on Smile
It would just be to fool around with if you wanted to test the uni principle - it's not really giggable.

Eric Watts

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 7:00 pm    

Ian, I hope You don't take Your Uni apart!! I have enjoyed your posts when building it and also your design ideas. Especially Your keyless nut combo. Surely there is Someone local to You that would enjoy learning on it. If I was closer I would love to see it up close. I have a one off uni 12 made locally in Louisville KY and admire the Makers skills and His designs as well. I wonder what shipping to the US would be...

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 3:53 pm    

No-one local has expressed interest and shipping to the US would be exorbitant, as the only way would be in two extremely heavy flight cases!
Also, like so many homemade contraptions, it is full of quirks and not very user-friendly. It was really only an experiment and it was over-engineered. It sounds remarkably good and the tuning is stable, but it turned out heavier than the D10 it was designed to replace!
Yes, it's a shame, but I can't store it indefinitely just for sentiment Sad

Ron Bartos

Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 14 May 2022 3:55 am     pedal steel home made

I would love to take the steel off your hands. I live in the USA Las Vegas NV. about how much would shipping be to my home?

Please let me know.

Thanks,Ron.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 May 2022 10:13 am    

Ron, since you asked nicely I will perform the exercise you request and get at least a rough estimate.

During the brief period when I gigged it it traveled in a keyboard bag fitted with plywood partitions, and this is how I imagine it being rehomed to somewhere fairly local. (In England most places are local by American standards.) But that's not an international shipping option. You would have to buy the flight cases which I conceived as split cases but turned out disappointingly heavy - or at least one of them.

Anyway, I shall do the decent thing and treat your inquiry seriously Smile

Ron Bartos

Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 14 May 2022 4:35 pm     pedal steel home made

I checked zip codes for UPS around $100. But it's better to check in your area, I don't know much about UK.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 May 2022 12:20 am    

It cost twice that to ship my Williams over here when I bought it, and my contraption is way heavier, but I promise I will look into it. First I have to winch it down from the loft in those cases and see what it all weighs, but first I shall observe the Lord's Day Smile

Update Tuesday:- (The Lord took longer than expected.) Two items, combined weight 90lbs, $350. And then I'd want something for the cases which are practically new and cost $750. All that for a not very useful guitar? I'm flattered by your interest though!