The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions about an S10 Lamar
Russell Powell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 1:40 pm    

Hello all
I am helping a friend with his S10 Lamar PSG guitar. It hasn't been played in a while and needs TLC.
I have cleaned up all that I could get at and I am ready to change the strings. My friend told me that it is best to change the strings one at a time, and not take them all off at once.
Is this true? I was hoping to clean and lubricate the mechanism while the strings were off.
I worked on this guitar about eight years ago and honestly only remember that it was a learning experience, as I am a PP guy. But back then I got it done.
I also tried to reach out to Lamar without any luck.
Any tips would be welcome
thanks

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 2:00 pm    

Wire cutters on all 10 strings. Off with them. It is always a valuable opportunity to do exactly what you are wanting -- cleaning inside the headstock, cleaning around the changer, oiling the rollers....
No, there is no reason to not remove all the strings at once.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 5:47 pm    

What Jon said.

`

Russell Powell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 8:08 am    

Thanks guys, much appreciated

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 8:39 am    

May want to check to determine what method is used to secure the pull rods to the bell cranks before proceeding!
I asked this very question a few years back and received similar advice. Problem was that the guitar was an early model Fessenden which featured bell cranks that resemble a comb and the rods were held in place in the slots by string tension only. As you might imagine, removing all the strings simultaneously resulted in most of the rods falling out and a call to Jerry to obtain a rodding chart.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 4:57 pm    

Some of the so called advice you're getting may be from people who have never even seen a Lamar,,,must less worked on one,,,,some models of Lamar are "different animals". Is it a straight pull? Keyless?

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 7:54 pm    

I've never, in all my guitars(steel, electric, nylon), done other than one at a time to keep tension on the neck from radical changes.

But maybe it is nonsense-that is just what I've been taught.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 8:20 pm    

David Nugent wrote:
May want to check to determine what method is used to secure the pull rods to the bell cranks before proceeding!
I asked this very question a few years back and received similar advice. Problem was that the guitar was an early model Fessenden which featured bell cranks that resemble a comb and the rods were held in place in the slots by string tension only. As you might imagine, removing all the strings simultaneously resulted in most of the rods falling out and a call to Jerry to obtain a rodding chart.

The rods should have had rubber sleeves on them, behind the pullers, to hold them in place. But admittedly, even with that, pullers that have such an open side, or slot, are still a stupid design. Oh Well

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 May 2022 7:33 pm    

I am all for clean guitars... but ever since I played acoustic French Jazz steel string guitars from the 40's thru 70's, I'v come to make it an habit to take one off, and replace it and go on like that, string after string. Makes for a quicker stable tuning.

I must also submit, that over 25 years ago a very popular PSG builder suggested to me the same procedure.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 May 2022 2:24 am    

The video on the Martin Guitar site about changing strings shows taking them all off, cleaning, then installing new strings.

I've always taken all the strings off of every guitar I've had except a 61 PX6120 Chet Atkins Gretsch. The only reason I didn't on the Gretsch was the bridge was not permanently mounted to the guitar and not taking all of them off avoided the hassle of repositioning the bridge.

I've always taken all the strings off a pedal steel. How I was told to do it by George Lewis when he worked at Sho-Bud. Ron Lashley told me same thing, as did "Little" Roy Wiggins when I worked at his Nashville music store.

Russell Powell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2022 7:56 am    

Thanks again guys. I have been busy so I haven't gotten this. My current plan is to secure the rods with rubber bands while i remove them all.
Hoping for the best.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 May 2022 8:20 am    

Russell Powell wrote:
Thanks again guys. I have been busy so I haven't gotten this. My current plan is to secure the rods with rubber bands while i remove them all.
Hoping for the best.

Little tip for you. Plumbing O rings from any home center, size 6 or 7 are stronger and easier to use than just a lot of wrapping rubber bands unless you have a source for really short rubber bands.

These O rings are what MCI and some others used to retain the 90 degree rod bends in the bell cranks....and you could just leave them on there when you're done changing strings.