The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rick Price
Hank Pell

New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 6:54 am    

I Met Rick Price in the early 1960'S in a club in Bay Eidge Brooklyn New York called Henry's.He was working with Dave Dudley at the time. He was a great player then ,& even greater today.Hewas nice enough to show me some licks on the C 6th that night, and also a grand tour of their tour bus. I will never forget that night I hear his recordings with Bobby Flores on Mike Gross;s Swinging West all the time.Thanks Rick for those great memories.

Mike Shefrin

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2007 10:36 am    

Cool story Hank. Here's an anecdote from forumite Russ Wever from another thread-

"I first met Rick in Nashville in the early '70's when I was a total tenderfoot on steel. He was working road for Stonewall Jackson at the time. I had introduced myself while he was playing an afternoon at Dee-mens Den on Nashville, and he took an 'extened' break and took me across the street, upstairs Sho~Bud and introduced me to everyone in Sho~Bud, and spent some time with me. How great that was that he'd go to that trouble for a 'steel rookie'!"

Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2007 6:52 pm    

Yup that is a Fender Steel King that I took to Rick to
see how he liked it. He liked it. He still has it.
He bought it!!! He is a Master steel player and one great guy!

Marty Holmes

Magnolia ,TX USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 1:46 pm    

Does anyone know what kind of delay Rick uses,that looks like an rv-3 in the picture?

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 4:18 pm    

Yes Marty...thats what it is.........

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2007 4:49 pm    

I too have to agree with all the great comments about Rick and his playing. Awesome player and dude !!

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Eric Corgey

Texas, Friendswood
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2007 11:04 pm    

I just got home from watching Mr. Price play with Jake Hooker and the Outsiders at the Tomball VFW hall. If they come to your town...GO SEE THEM! You won't be disappointed. The most pofessional band I've seen in a long time.

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 3:40 pm    

Damn straight he’s great and as great in many ways as the all timers, in my opinion. Just watched him on Tru Country backing Jake Penrod on a shuffle titled” Wearing Out My Heart”. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 5:21 am    

I'll throw my opinion in with everyone. He not only picks some outstanding licks, but he picks very tasteful. No over playing the singer. I enjoy his playing every time I can catch him on Tru Country.

Bruce Zumsteg

Harrisonville, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2022 6:42 am    

I first met Rick in about 1970. I was playing in a club in Columbia, MO and he and some of his band mates from the Stonewall Jackson show stopped in.
I recall that at that time I was was in a Curly Chalker phase, and playing through a Kustom amp with two 15" speakers. When Rick came up to the bandstand, the first thing he said was, "Do you always play with that much bass? " LOL. Later that year I went to Nashville for what was then called the 'DJ Convention', just to hear all the jam sessions. I hooked up with Rick, and he took me all over town to the various jamming spots. What a great guy! We have kept in touch over the years, and I'm proud to call him my friend.

The picture above was taken at 'Demons Den' in Nashville in '71. BTW Rick, Do you still have those pants??

Last edited by Bruce Zumsteg on 10 May 2022 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 9 May 2022 3:00 pm    

This pic had to be taken somewhere close to ‘70-‘71. Rick was with Stonewall and I was in a local band that played on the package show. We hit it off and Stonewall’s band picked up a club gig for the next week so they stayed in town. Dad would pick Rick up and bring him to the house and we’d play steel all day. This was right after Buddy’s “black” album came out. Rick showed me how to play most of that album. Some of it I still remember! 🤠 What a fun week that was.

Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 9 May 2022 4:13 pm     Rick

Ditto on all said about my friend, Rick Price! I sure enjoy the stories and cool photos! I met Rick in 1979 or so while he was Johnny Bush and the Bandaleros . I was singing and playing guitar at the time and had played with some pretty good steel players. I was thinking about getting a steel guitar? Rick and the Bandaleros blew me away that night in Brownwood. Not too long after, I purchased the Live at Dancetown USA album.. very shortly after that, like a few days? Steve Lamb sold me a Maverick. I guess Rick’s performance tipped my interest over for the steel guitar? Here I am, still trying and remain a huge Rick Price fan!

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 6:05 pm    

Rick’s a mighty fine fellow. You can see him on YouTube, Trucountry 2022.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 7:17 pm    

I met Rick when I was a teenager and Bush played the fair in my hometown. I was just getting into steel and I’m sure I pestered him to death with questions but he was very gracious. He was playing a white MSA and not happy with it. He said he would be receiving another new Emmons as soon as they got back to Texas.

I had been a clogger a few years before then. I mentioned that we had danced on a big package show in Miami, FL and the Bush band played for us to dance. He said he remembered because that was his first night with Johnny.