Author Topic:  Don't Forget Mr. Newman
Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 10:17 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1s054PrC-o

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 10 May 2022 10:28 pm    

Hey Chris , I LOVE this track . Spent many hours trying to copy it .

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 3:19 am    

Always loved this video. Mr.Jeff was a very soulful player. Nice tone. He sure taught me a bunch. Nope,I won't forget him.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 6:21 am    

Photo by Clay Savage

Joe Krumel

Hermitage, Tn.
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 9:51 am    

Great photo!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 10:07 am    

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 2:00 pm    

Jeff was very instrumental (no pun intended) in my steel guitar adventure. I had the pleasure of getting to be great friends with him. He was always up to something. At a show that I was playing, during one song I kept noticing a red light dancing across my chest. Jeff was in the back of the room with a laser pointer! One of the highest compliments I’ve ever had was relayed to me by my brother, who was standing next to Jeff. After one of my songs, Jeff told my brother, “now that’s how it’s done”. Thanks, Jeff.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 2:46 pm    

No chance I'll ever forget Jeff Newman. He was the first professional Nashville musician I met when I attened his 1980 week long study course. The education from that visit lives on years later as things he showed us unfold.

Just last month 4/7 was the anniversary of his passing.

I really love the tune you posted there Chris. There are so many examples, but one I still listen to all the time is the Good Hearted Woman study course. His playing on that tune is just unbelievable...and of course, the CD he recorded not too long before his passing.

I was there for the incident shown in the photo with Speedy and have seen him numerous times at the shows. Always impressive.

Fellow airman, mentor, and all around friend to the steel guitar. I'm humbled just to have been around him.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 3:05 pm    

I heard the first few notes of the video Chris posted and Jeff's tone and playing was instantly recognizable. I took a week with him in the 1980's while I was still an active duty military helicopter pilot. We got along great - I was there to learn as much about pedal steel as possible and on our breaks he wanted to talk about flying. He had a real quick wit and a great sense of humor.
Probably tough to find these days but the CD he did with Billy Williams is outstanding - Jeff at his best and some great tunes. Rest in peace, my friend.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 11 May 2022 3:07 pm    

When I was at Jeff's in '83, I filled my gas tank and somebody put water in my tank and the next thing I new, I stalled out under some overpass on I40. This was before cell phones, so I hoofed it to some phone and called Jeff and he came and took care of things.
When he had players like Buddy, Johnny "Coxface" Cox, Stu Basore, Jimmy Crawford and others played at jams, he would charge a watermelon or an .011 or .012 gauge string.
He turned me on to Cracker Barrel. Grits w/cheese!

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2022 6:24 am     truly an outstanding "legacy"!

What hasn't been said about this incredible person over the years. Jeff Garden (hey!) nailed it. As a teacher/performer/celebrity of all things steel guitar we were all privileged to come in contact with his personality and talents. As my late father-in-law I experienced a whole additional experience...a life "bonus" of many sorts. One thing stands out that I must mention as a consequent player/teacher. We all heard Jeff over the years most always playing in a teaching mode. So his "legacy" "Once in a Lifetime" CD is pure all-out virtuoso performance on all levels. When teaching you must remember to deliver something that is attainable and able to be achieved by the student. A more proficient player/student who can learn from what Jeff all did on this piece of work...more power to them! For any player who has only recorded one effort of his prowess...in Jeff's case couldn't have been more superb! Respectfully submitted, RK Smile

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 23 May 2022 7:46 am    

Jeff had so many facets, he was the full package: A tasteful musician, great steel guitarist, a teacher par excellence and a true entertainer with an immense sense of humor. And as for entertainers in the steel guitar "world" there were only a hand full, IF that many.

I miss him, and those who didn't know him, don't even know what they are missing.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2022 5:52 pm     Jeff Newman

What else can be said about Jeff other than he was a great human being. I am thankful that got to spend so much time with him and his family.

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 25 May 2022 3:03 pm    

Ill hate April forever: why get into a home produced airborne vehicle. I understand he loved flying but the arc of his life was cut short by at least 20 years. He played great he taught great and anybody who thinks he was "just" a teacher is full of you know what. I remember you old friend playing six different steels at his seminars to proove to us it was the man not the machine. He seminars were the best musical bargain i ever got.....good bye again and again and again old friend

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2022 4:01 pm    

What happened to the steel guitars that Jeff owned? Who bought them? Just wondering who has them now.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2022 9:01 am    

TTT