The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mullen Half Stop
Thomas Green

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 10:12 am    

Hey all,

I have a mullen D10 and the half stop on RKR is pretty subtle. It would be great to have this be little firmer. I am thinking about buying the half stop kit from Mullen, but I want to make sure I dont have it on my guitar first. Anyone have any pictures of the half stop add on or some instructions?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 10:33 am    

Go to their website, they have a picture of it.

https://mullenguitars.com/shop/ols/products/half-stop-mechanism

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 10:56 am    

I installed 2 Mullen half stop mechanisms on my G2 and love them. Just for fun I clicked on the link Richard provided above. Went to the drop down menu for all their models (G2/Discovery/Royal Precision/Pre RP) and EVERY ONE shows out of stock for ALL location options!

Man, they must be getting hammered with supply issues Crying or Very sad

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Thomas Green

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 11:39 am    

Oh yeah there is a picture...just missed it. Thanks.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 12:11 pm    

Tom, try tightening your 9th string lower return spring first. RP

Jeremy Drawbaugh

scottsboro, al usa
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 1:38 pm    

I have the same issue on my pre-Royal. The half stop feel is there but subtle and I can’t get it in tune at the stopping point so do you think the return spring tightening would help?
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 4:16 pm    

Jeremy Drawbaugh wrote:
I have the same issue on my pre-Royal. The half stop feel is there but subtle and I can’t get it in tune at the stopping point so do you think the return spring tightening would help?

Yes

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2022 6:30 pm    

Hi, hope to ask a question regarding this topic, as I have a G2 on order.

For this move a half stop you feel is only the result of when the 9th string lower kicks in, correct?

I play a GFI, and it feels fine to me. Shouldn't all guitars feel the same way given same strings, lengths, etc.?

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2022 4:21 am     Re: Mullen Half Stop

Thomas Green wrote:
Hey all,

I have a mullen D10 and the half stop on RKR is pretty subtle.

Here are the official instructions for adjusting it, from p. 11 of the Mullen Owners' Manual.

Quote:
2nd string half stop adjustment.
When assembling new guitars this is the proce- dure we use to adjust the 2nd string half stop. We use the 9th string for two purposes. The first, of course, is for the 2nd string half stop and the second is for the D to C# change on the 9th string. To make this work properlyuse the following method.

Make sure that the pulling rods are in the same holes in the bell crank and the changer (this should be the 5th hole, the one that is the the fifth hole from the guitar body) Temper tune the open E9th tuning first and then tune with the B pedal G# to A down. Next temper tune the 9th string to C# with 6th string, hav- ing the B pedal down. When the 9th string en- gages, making contact with the changer lower- ing lever, this will apply extra pressure to the feel on the knee lever this becomes the half stop feel for the 2nd string . After this proce- dure it should be in tune at this time. '

We also have available a tunable half stop, which is tunable from under the guitar, and also you can adjust the tension For more information on
this product E-mail Mullen Guitars . If you have trouble you may email.

Those instructions work great for my Mullen G2. The owner's manual is available on Mullen's web site.

--Al Evans

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 May 2022 9:50 am    

To increase the feel, loosen the collar on the spring, manually push the collar to compress the spring as much as you want & tighten the collar. This has nothing to do with tuning it. Just with adjusting the tension.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2022 3:36 pm    

I really don't understand the Mullens manual explanation. Can anyone help me understand why that would work? I've always been blessed to have split screws on the changers of all the guitars I've had to make that adjustment on. RP

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 3 May 2022 8:06 am    

I think your
talking about two different things, splits with 2 levers or pedals vs half stops with one.

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2022 1:29 pm    

No Bill. There is away to set the 1/2 step with the 9th string lower nylon tuner nut. After which the ninth will be too low when fully engaged. Next step, with R/R fully engaged, you screw in the split screw on the 9th, to sharpen it to C#. Works great.👍

I'm still waiting and hoping someone can explain the Mullen explanation. RP

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 3 May 2022 2:09 pm    

good advice…

Last edited by Bill Lowe on 3 May 2022 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2022 2:42 pm    

Very Happy If he doesn't have split screws my comment isn't pertinent anyway. If he does, tightening that return spring should do the trick. Roger and out🎶
Bill, I wouldn't want to mess with you if you're lifting a Twin with JBLs! RP

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 8:30 am    

I have the half-stop mechanism on my G2 and I like it. No issues at all. However I have seen a discussion on this forum where some people notice a slight warble when throwing right through from D# to C#. Someone mentioned that they found it noticeable when recording. It seems like a very minor thing to me but there are those who have picked up on it.