The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do you answer, “Is pedal steel hard to learn to play?”
Bryce Van Parys

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 4:38 pm    

I tell them I practiced at least 600 hours for my first gig, and I feel like I just scratched the surface. I have a degree in music, and this is the hardest, yet most rewarding thing I've attempted. I gave up on the fiddle, I do think that's harder. My degree is in classical double bass. I got through the gig. It was both terrifying and exhilarating!

Double bass, Mike Lull V4, G&L SB2 electric bass, Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, Martin D18GE,

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 12:43 am    

Before I begin- this >>> An issue new players face is actually the Instrument itself. It is not ergonomically or mechanically capable of being played by the owner. It feels awkward, because it is . The Instrument itself can be the # 1 deterrent for a brand new student. Not all Pedal Steels are equal. For EX, last year a good friend and player bought a used Steel to resell. It was a mess. He didn't have the ability to fix it up so I did it for him. A single 10 with 3 Peds in the middle of the guitar and the 2 K Levers were not even close to being aligned with the Pedals. It was NOT playable , yet it was sold on the market as a 3 + 2 Pedal Steel. Imagine a brand new student attempting to learn on this instrument. Nope, not gonna happen. I was able to modify the instrument to "somewhat" playable and I'm not sure what my friend did with it, he probably sold it to yet another unknowing new player, who would certainly give up after a few weeks of struggling because its too hard to learn.

Back to the initial question- I answer "Yes" but qualify it with every musical instrument has issues specific to the Instrument. The Pedal Steel is still just a musical Instrument , the music theory is exactly the same as any other musical Instrument, it does not reside in its own musical world. BUT with regard to the Pedal Steel , its not the music that is the issue, its getting TO the music. There are physical and mechanical elements that require profound dedication that cannot be bypassed with a shortcut.

As Bobbe Seymour once said, its a very easy instrument to play poorly. As are many other instruments such as a Fiddle or any stringed fretless instrument played with a bow. Its not the music, its getting to the music.

Our instrument, the Pedal Steel, is not just an Instrument per sey, its a way of life. The dedication of time and energy that we have each put in over a period of YEARS, never being satisfied, is the driving force. Without that burning desire and dedication we would all just be "Pedal Steel Owners". Add that to learning how to play from day one.

I've had plenty of students over the years, you could tell in a NY minute which ones would be successful even to a small degree over the ones who would never be successful . The ones who worked thru the physical and mechanical issues and got excited understanding the theoretical relationships of the A, B and AB peds survived. The ones who wanted to learn how to play Together Again on the 1st lesson never came back and I never invited them back either. Very Happy

Once again- Another issue new players face is actually the Instrument itself. It is not ergonomically or mechanically capable of being played by the owner. It feels awkward, because it is . The Instrument itself can be the # 1 deterrent for a brand new student. Not all Pedal Steels are equal.
peace !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 5:03 am    

It depends on who’s asking. I usually give the yes and no answer. As for me, it only took a day or two and I was playing as well as the Big E (when he was three months old).
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 5:14 am    

Unless you're some kind of Savant, what instrument is Easy?

To put it concisely, I'd say Pedal Steel is the most Frustrating, yet at the same time, Exhilarating instrument I've ever attempted to learn.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 6:36 am    

My answer LOL

Edward Dixon

Crestview Florida
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 7:15 am    

My first answer is "if it was hard I probably wouldn't be doing it, I'm lazy that way". The second answer is a question; "What do you know about music?". If they know nothing, I show them a little music theory on a piano keyboard, if they play guitar I show them what's happening on the PSG in relation to what they are doing on guitar. Most guitar players get it right away and so do those well versed in theory.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 1:21 am    

How do I answer?"Ya'got a minute?"
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Robert B Murphy

Mountain View, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 4:45 am    

What does 'learn to play' mean? Play Charlie Parker tunes on? Absolutely! Play I IV V? Not so hard. Personally I want something hard to work on but that I can get somewhere on too. It's like reading a great book that never ends.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 5:35 am    

Deleted

Last edited by Roger Rettig on 23 Apr 2022 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 9:32 am    

It definitely helps if you have some experience with lap steels or dobro's.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 9:21 pm     My Bad

Sometimes I tell people It's one of the easiest instruments to SOUND BAD on.
Razz

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2022 7:19 pm    

Frank Freniere wrote:
Bob Carlucci wrote:
“Is pedal steel hard to learn to play?”,, Not really..

“Is pedal steel hard to learn to play WELL?” Yes, very..

I am not all that good a musician in all honesty.. Good natural time, fair hands and head, good soul and "feeling" and NO concept of theory at all.. Very basic I-IV-V kind of guy...yet pedal steel came easy to me.

After 2 -3 months I was playing in good local country rock bands every weekend. In tune and in time. I could play many of the licks on records...

However , its 44 years later and i am basically the same player I was then... hence my opinion. I picked it right up, no problem.. I sound like a pedal steel player...

However, when I hear the really good, talented, professional or semi pro players out there that play very well, I realize that I myself really don't play it all that well... I just play it.. happens to a lot of us.. bob

+1

This is me exactly Bob

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2022 2:56 pm    

I think nearly 100% of the people that ask me at my gigs aren’t serious about taking the journey.

Curious, and well intentioned, but really just talkers.so…I tell them it’s easy, go get one..

If they follow thru, anything is possible if you work at it.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2022 5:46 pm    

Steve Spitz wrote:
I think nearly 100% of the people that ask me at my gigs aren’t serious about taking the journey.

Curious, and well intentioned, but really just talkers.so…I tell them it’s easy, go get one..

If they follow thru, anything is possible if you work at it.

heh heh, that's how I got mine.... I play lap steel and my lead guitarist said I should get a pedal steel because it was easier to play...Yup.... haven't played it out yet and from the sounds of my latest practice recording it is going to be quite a while...but it is easy...yup, yup, yup

Sam

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 12:01 am    

I get that question a lot. I say "It's the easiest instrument. You don't have to learn different keys or anything. You can just move the bar higher or lower to play in a different key. And you don't have to use the fingers of your left hand in all different shapes like on a guitar because all the chords are in a straight line." Problem is, I really believe it, too. Well, maybe it's not the easiest instrument. Bass guitar is pretty easy. That's why it's my second instrument.

Bill Ladd

Wilmington, NC, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 4:52 am    

When Dale Watson played Letterman, the late-night host was obviously enthusiastic about the performance. Dale was the closing act. When letterman came out on stage to close the show, he turned and asked Don Pawlak “that thing hard to play?” Don’s reply - “just like flying a helicopter!”

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 11:56 am    

To the curious onlooker, my cursory response is usually... I use both hands, both knees, both feet, both ears and my brain is usually ahead of the music I play. So, it's involved and takes dedication. They mostly smile and walk away confused.
To a more serious question I ask if they play an instrument, particularly the guitar. Or, do they play any instrument and know some music. The conversation , most of the time, gets deeper into it. Most of the time I can tell whether they're serious about it or not.
Not everybody is as intense about learning and playing the steel as we are. But, I always try to sell the idea about it as much as I can.

Markus Mayerhofer

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 1:34 pm    

Quote:
When Dale Watson played Letterman, the late-night host was obviously enthusiastic about the performance. Dale was the closing act. When letterman came out on stage to close the show, he turned and asked Don Pawlak “that thing hard to play?” Don’s reply - “just like flying a helicopter!”

Haha, very funny! Here is my personal encounter with Don Pawlak on this question.
He was playing with Dale Watson here in Vienna, which still marks a personal feast day for me.
I told him that I really like playing dobro and lapsteel now, but I'm thinking about getting pedals....
He replied, "Well, go for it, the pedal steel guitar is for lazy people..."
No more bar slants and a lot of scale notes under the bar....
So a little later I got myself one.
From this day on, I have been experiencing a not so lazy time in getting all the right notes under the bar and I hope, i'm able to get on of thees enlightened lazy guys some day.
Thanks Don for your inspiring playing and your advice back on that day in Feb. 2012 - I have never regretted it!

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 7:25 pm    

My personal view is that it's one of the most difficult instruments - or at least 'european/western' instruments - on which to become a competent player.

For context, I've played 6-string guitar and saxophones (alto, soprano, tenor, and bari) for 30+ years, and have at least some basic training or experience in percussion and drum kit, bass guitar, bowed string instruments, clarinet, flute, piano and other keyboard instruments, mandolin, theremin, lap steel, and brass (valve and slide). I also have a university music degree (B.Mus) in theory and composition - so I know what notes I want to play, and just need to develop the technique and familiarity to get my hands/knees/feet to do what I'm hearing in my head.

Getting some decent sounding single notes and basic chords on pedal steel was relatively easy, and I've been able to learn intros/licks from written music (traditional or tab) and by ear, but I've found it more difficult to get to the point where I'd feel comfortable doing improv with a band or having a producer/MD give me instructions and be able to play something that sounds great in response.

I'm progressing, though, and am optimistic I'll get there with enough practice, and I'm enjoying the learning process very much! But compared to any other instruments I've tried it's been the most difficult to get to that stage.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 8:24 pm    

I don't think the work involved in learning to play steel is particularly difficult.

......But there's an enormous amount of it. Winking

Flip Brown

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2022 10:39 am    

This going to sound familiar . . . I bought a Nioma late-1940s mother-of-toilet-seat lap steel and a sweet '63 Fender Princeton "tuxedo" amp for $110 from a women living in a trailer outside of Gnaw Bone, Indiana (not far from Bean Blossom where Bill Monroe had his Jamboree). So I slid around on that GBDGBD lap steel for over forty years with limited success.

I was at a party and at the break I went up to Brett Lanier, the pedal steel player in the band. I asked him - "How much harder is it to play pedal steel as opposed to lap steel?" "Oh, it's easier!" he said, much to my surprise. "Watch this" and he proceeded to place the bar on the third fret and played a G, a C, a D, an Em, an Am, a Bm, a D7, and an E natural without moving the bar. That sold me then and there.

The rest is a commitment to lessons and practice. I'm still at it, and will be until I leave this physical world. And by the way, I am having fun, even though I still hit too many clams.
MSA Millennium SD-10 #22, Fender Steel King with Eminence EPS-15C speaker, Lehle Mono 90 Volume Pedal, Sarno Black Box, Baby Bloomer, Sarno Earth Drive, EHX Mel 9, EHX Small Stone, Mooer Chorus, Keeley Caverns, Clinesmith bar, Acri picks, Nioma lap steel, Regal resonator, and a whole bunch of other instruments.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2022 8:01 pm    

I think one thing that can't be emphasized enough in our discussion is that we are all different. We vary immensely across the spectrum. I'm 10+ years in and am wading through it but it's not something I took to easily.

On the other hand I have had 2 different mentors tell me of giving lessons to someone who just absorbed it effortlessly. One told of a new-to-steel pupil who he taught. After a month or two, he told the student he just didn't have any more to show him, the newbie had reached the teacher's level. Granted those are rare but they do exist.

So I'd say the answer to the question first asked may vary greatly depending on the player to whom it is directed, and there is no one "correct" answer.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 6 May 2022 6:37 am    

In my view, there are 2 classes of instruments. Although, almost all instruments are of similar difficulty to master, some are easier to play (albeit simplistically) for the beginner compared to other instruments.

For example, you can learn 3 chords on a ukelele, and play a zillion tunes that will entertain most of your friends an family for hours. Trying to play a fiddle or tenor sax will drive most listeners to another zip code for the first your first year of effort.

Easier to fake it: guitar, uke, congas, harmonica….

Difficult to fake it: fiddle, sax, pedal steel, oboe…..