The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cheap and Easy Work Station
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2022 5:32 pm    

here's a cheap, easy to build support for working on guitars. A couple of 8" 2x4, some all thead, washers and nuts

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2022 6:16 pm    

Great idea Sonny.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 4:10 pm    

VERY interesting idea... especially as it could stay clamped on when turning the guitar back on it's legs and again on it's head.

Worth while mentioning that our Landlord b0b sells a very versatile and affordable work station here too: https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/blog/pedal-steel-workstand/

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 4:33 pm    

Yes,,,flip it back and forth for whatever,,,,,NO,,not to take away from the VERY nice ones that Ross makes and b0b sells to benefit the forum,,,much appreciated,,,,but I've got less that 5 bucks and an hour or so in this.

FWIW,,,,if some of our members could see some of the home made, rube goldberg tools and equipment that I use they would laugh me off the forum,,,,LOL,,,,,but hey,,,,works well for me!!!

I may be tempted to post a few picture to illustrate what I'm talking about,,,LOL

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 2:27 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Yes,,,flip it back and forth for whatever,,,,,NO,,not to take away from the VERY nice ones that Ross makes and b0b sells to benefit the forum,,,much appreciated,,,,but I've got less that 5 bucks and an hour or so in this.

FWIW,,,,if some of our members could see some of the home made, rube goldberg tools and equipment that I use they would laugh me off the forum,,,,LOL,,,,,but hey,,,,works well for me!!!

I may be tempted to post a few picture to illustrate what I'm talking about,,,LOL

I think yours are great, and IF you would happen to offer them for sale, I would buy two pairs.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 5:17 pm    

J D Sauser wrote:
Sonny Jenkins wrote:

I think yours are great, and IF you would happen to offer them for sale, I would buy two pairs.

... J-D.

I would too!

Dustin Elmore

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2022 7:40 pm     clamps

Take my money too!!

Greg Forsyth

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2022 8:16 am    

Great Idea Sonny!

Reminds me of the wooden handscrews used in woodworking.
As far as home made tooling goes - most every invention made was developed by people like you who find ways like this to make things easier, more efficient and better to use. The rest of us are the beneficaries of your ingenuity and resolve in developing worth while products. Thanks!

Greg

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 15 Apr 2022 6:59 am    

Well I've had several people interested in acquiring these work stations,,and I really appreciate the interest. I have no idea how to price them,,,so how about if I just make them for my cost plus shipping,,,say 20-25 bucks,,,plus maybe a donation to the forum? Also I would need to know if they were for a single neck or double neck? I have some eye surgery coming up next week,,,not sure how long I'll be incapacitated, but I'll try to get some made up as soon as I can. email with what you want sojen1@gmail.com

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2022 6:32 am    

I'd like to have a pair if for no other reason that they came from you Sonny. And only if you autograph them Wink

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 6:14 am    

Hey Tommy,,,LOL!!!!! Happy Easter my friend! Yes,,,I'll definitely have a pair with your name on'em,,,,even deliver them to you personally,,LOL.

Been too long since I've seen you,,,meant to get to Brady to see ya'll but just didn't make,,,time seems to get away from me a lot faster than what it used to!

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 7:31 am    

Well when I posted this I intended it as an idea for an easy DIY project,,,,but I've been getting so much interest,,,and not wanting to compete with the MUCH more sophisticated one that is available from b0b,,,I've decided to make up a batch of them and send to whoever wants one FOR FREE,,,,just the cost shipping (maybe a little something for material),,,AND A DONATION TO THE FORUM. Send me a PM with shipping address. I'll have them available as my time will allow.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 5:54 pm     Nice idea

Nice idea and I may make a pair.
I'll add some 1/16" rubber sheet to the contact points to protect the lacquer finish and also grip the steel a little better without having to tighten too much.
Good thinking. Very Happy Idea
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2022 6:56 am    

Yes Andy,,I used some thin, high density foam (actually some old work out mat,,LOL),,,in the picture I have masking tape wrapped around it til the glue dries. Also on the ones I'm making I use a wood sealer to avoid splitting. In the posting I used the word "cheap",,,,2x4s that cost $2.25 last year now cost about 7 bucks!!!!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2022 12:58 pm     Great, Thanks

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Yes Andy,,I used some thin, high density foam (actually some old work out mat,,LOL),,,in the picture I have masking tape wrapped around it til the glue dries. Also on the ones I'm making I use a wood sealer to avoid splitting. In the posting I used the word "cheap",,,,2x4s that cost $2.25 last year now cost about 7 bucks!!!!

Great, Thanks for that. I was worried that there was no protection.
Workout mat would be good.
I did a stand in the past and found 1/16" thick rubber sheets (About 6" X 8") in the plumbing section of my local Ace hardware.
Not sure what plumbers use this for, but great for our purpose and very cheap too.
Still, your design is so very simple to make and I like that it stays attached no matter if the guitar is upright or underside up. Very handy.
Andy Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 4 May 2022 4:01 pm    

I am selling the guitar pictured at the beginning of this thread,,,,for more pics and to discuss call or text 210-413-1195