The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMT Awards Show
J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 6:11 pm    

Garbage, garbage, garbage. Been watching the CMT awards show and oh how bad it is. This is coming out of Nashville the home of Country Music. Their was no fiddle or steel guitar on any of it. I had to stop watching it was so bad. Nothing but flashing lights and glimmer and smoke. Where is George Strait or Alan Jackson style of music? I know I am old and outdated but this show is about country music. Nothing about this show represents pure Country Music. I am so sad that Country Music is going down this road. J.R. Rose

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 11:12 pm    

It's Manhattan and Hollywood computer noise. It has NOTHING to do with country people or country music. Fake country. Mo Pitney anyone?

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2022 11:50 pm    

Time for the annual rant, I guess. I didn't watch it. I never watch it. I don't have the patience to wait for something I wanna see, and I get dizzy from the constantly panning cameras.

But even just a quick google search for CMT Awards Show yields this video, where you can clearly see at 82 seconds in, there is a steel player prominently onstage with Cody Johnson - https://youtu.be/c8dNZwQ_rdM?t=82 - and fiddle prominently featured a bit later. This is the second link I clicked on - the first one I clicked on sounded like a Disney pop guy.

On that clip of Cody, I don't know what I'd call that if I didn't call it country music. Yes, a lot cf country music these days has rock and pop influences. And no, it's not Merle, Buck, Loretta, or Hank. But we're roughly 50 years past the prime of the first 3, and 70 years past the prime of Hank. Times change, people change, and music changes. Been going on forever.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 2:57 am    

The patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
The doctor says, "Then don't do that!"

-Henny Youngman

Laughing

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 4:13 am    

I stopped watching that type of show a long time ago. It dawned on me that even groups and performers who normally released what I considered "real country" would go on the awards show and do something as "un-country" as possible. In the course of the whole show there used to be one or two songs I cared for and I figured there's better ways to spend my time.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 10:43 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
Time for the annual rant, I guess. I didn't watch it. I never watch it. I don't have the patience to wait for something I wanna see, and I get dizzy from the constantly panning cameras.

But even just a quick google search for CMT Awards Show yields this video, where you can clearly see at 82 seconds in, there is a steel player prominently onstage with Cody Johnson - https://youtu.be/c8dNZwQ_rdM?t=82 - and fiddle prominently featured a bit later. This is the second link I clicked on - the first one I clicked on sounded like a Disney pop guy.

On that clip of Cody, I don't know what I'd call that if I didn't call it country music. Yes, a lot cf country music these days has rock and pop influences. And no, it's not Merle, Buck, Loretta, or Hank. But we're roughly 50 years past the prime of the first 3, and 70 years past the prime of Hank. Times change, people change, and music changes. Been going on forever.

I think about the statement in your last paragraph a lot. George Strait's first hit was in 1979 and a lot of what we view as the holy grail of country music is before him! Country stars and fans steeped in 1940's style probably didn't care more for George's music, when he came out, any more than most of us do the current products. And YES, they are all products, then and now!

Bottom line, we are old!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 11:01 am    

Well firstly, it's CMT which stands for Country Music Television, which of course it's not for most of us. There's the occasional nugget, but they're really sparse.

Those CMT award shows are only representative of the artists and music that gets played on their media the previous year. We shouldn't expect anything different.

I guess it's like the guy that keeps hitting himself in the head with a hammer....it just feels so good when he stops!

I'm in agreement with you concerning the direction and quality of the music, though. Yes.

It's awful. It's horrible. It's an embarrassment to the institution.

I know people half my age and younger that hate it too, so it's not just the geezer group.

I cannot describe the opening segment except to say it had nothing whatsover to do with country music that most of us know. So goes the award shows.....and the music.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 12 Apr 2022 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 12:26 pm    

Jerry hit the nail on the head. 🔨

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 12:48 pm    

CMT=CityMusicTime!

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2022 12:56 pm    

Is there a common demographic, a common trait, that likes CMT and the songs and the fanfare of the show? They sell expensive commercials.

I’m just curious and baffled. Just like when I watch a squirrel run out in the road, stop, turn back, and then run back out in the road, only to get flattened. It’s tail the only thing left wiggling in the air as I watch in my rear view mirror. “What in the world was going thru that squirrels little brain?….careful, eyes on the road!”

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2022 7:51 am    

It's funny that people "pile on" posts like this that rip on current country music. There is plenty of steel guitar on today's hits. That steel guitar is played by several popular players that have actively participated on this SGF.

People wonder why we cant get better SGF engagement from professional (actively working studio and road players - AFofM 257) steel guitar players. Why would they choose come here when posts like this crap all over their work? One post says their recordings suck and the next post someone is leg humping them asking about their amp settings on a Gene Watson record recorded 20 years ago...

Some of these players have told me personally why they would rather not participate here and I can't say I blame them.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2022 9:44 am    

First ask yourself, what is the purpose of these awards shows? Then ask, “why do I play music?”

I imagine a variation on the Hunger Games theme, where the CMT Awards show crowd attends a local Battle Of The Bands, and I’m in one of the pathetically unrehearsed country bar bands, maybe even playing an “award-winning” song for the elites. One more question. Who is thinking about what in that scene?

I appreciate the wisdom in the Henny Youngman joke. My dad used to tell that one.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 1:04 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
First ask yourself, what is the purpose of these awards shows? Then ask, “why do I play music?”

It's hard to hold conflicting ideas at the same time.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 5:54 am    

I can't say that I'm a fan of most of "today's" music, in ALL genre's including Pop and Rock and Rap.
That said, it's not what I grew up with, and what I grew up with is mostly where my interests lie. With this broad Caveat... I like Mozart - Metallica, but I digress.

When I grew up in the 60's it was:

Western Music >
Country Western >
Country >
Pop Country >
New Country >
Bro Country?

Rock music took a similar route with Rock, Classic Rock-Grunge-Metal-Death Metal and on and on it goes.

Similar to what's on TV... If I don't like it I turn the dial... Hence I haven't listened to Radio Music for years. My Dad, who BTW is older than me pretty much quit listening to anything after Country on that little chart above.

What I listen to these days is mostly Steel stuff from the Forum or Facebook or Youtube, and since moving to the more rural side of the State started listening to Hank FM which for my tastes still plays stuff from the era of Country music I enjoyed.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2022 7:50 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
Fred Treece wrote:

It's hard to hold conflicting ideas at the same time.

Bingo, Charlie.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 6:02 pm    

Isn't the CMT Awards show based on the Video associated with the song?

Mike Polansky

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 8:47 pm    

Waylon and Willie and the rest of 'em left Nashville because Chet was pushing cheese that's not that dissimilar to the over-produced nonsense CMT plays.

Hell, Dale Watson released "Country My Ass" twenty years ago.

Now, Sturgill and Tyler Childers and Whitey Morgan and dozens of other groups are making great country music, and just like 50 years ago and 20 years ago it's very different than the crap coming out of Nashville.

It doesn't seem like much has changed to me.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2022 12:10 pm    

The music has changed and the audience has changed. The entire music industry has changed. The Garbage-to-Quality ratio may still be the same for what currently passes as popular mainstream Country music, but to say the genre hasn’t changed much in 50 years is highly inaccurate.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 2 May 2022 2:53 pm    

Yes Dave....it's that time of year again. Those gawd awful awards shows we all disagree with. Which i never watch anyways.

Today's "Country Music" reaches more of an audience then it ever has. I am more then delighted to see a younger audience. Not really sure what everyone expects....seriously. Nope...."All My X's Live In Texas", ain't gonna do it for a 20 something today's country music fan. I think they're more of a Lady Ga Ga bunch. I Don't particularly care for today's country music in any form. As a mater of fact i'm not a big country music fan from any time period. Man i for 1 am so so sick and tired of the same ole same ole worn out 70's 3 chord type of country music I could scream. Exactly why I no longer play country music by choice.

Look on the bright side....no one got "Will Smithed" this year. Maybe we should in stead slap the rich music industry mogals, and cut the singers, and musicians some slack. Very Happy

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 3 May 2022 2:50 pm    

Here is a nice, modern sounding country song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_zuB-ogIBw

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 7:43 am    

Lee Baucum wrote:
Here is a nice, modern sounding country song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_zuB-ogIBw

🤣

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 8:08 am    

Aaaaargh!

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 10:42 am    

Here's a wonderful catchy little country tune. For the life of me I can't see why this never made it to at least, the top 10 country music classics of all time list (ah yeah).

This song even breaks through the seldom dare to post about effect pedals in country music controversies. The ..... creative way this brave steeler went for broke in the use of the talk box machine, i bet sure stirred the dust with the over 70's steel guitarist even back then. But I bet all the 30's somethings today would ummm...really dig this tune.

Perhaps if they had included this song on one of those annoying, looped, 24 hour a day, computerized, over commercial playing, repetitive, classic country FM satellite stations it could have been a hit. You know those computerized (stations), that clog the already over saturated FM frequency.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-g9RUpLak0w

(Posted with love and a warm & fuzzy heart for all styles of music, and players)