The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone ever know a George Steele in California ? 60's 70's
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2022 8:01 pm    

A good friend of mine in Arizona had a professional band that played all over the west coast and as far east as Wichita, Kansas. the steel player was George Steele (this may have been his stage name). Anyway, I do know the man died quite a few years ago, but my friend does not own a computer, so I thought I would ask around for him, just to see if anyone remembers the steeler by the name of George Steele. I think he would enjoy knowing people remember George and I can pass the information on.
Thanks
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2022 8:59 am    

Dunno, this might be him, I guess.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2022 3:53 pm    

interesting, I will check with my buddy and see if he knows...thanks for your input...I would love to hear the recording ! Thats pretty cool, one way or the other !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2022 9:22 am    

I just got off the phone with my buddy in Arizona, and he said yes that was the George Steele he played with. they had a band for 19 years and played a lot in California and the west coast. He said he was supposed to play on that record, but the producer or someone convinced George to do it all himself...so he sang this particular song and played steel on it as well. Thanks for your reponse, I never knew George, but my buddy and I play music together when I am in mesa, just for our own enjoyment..he is quite an amazing singer and guitar player at any age, but he is 85 and still does great !!

James Bloomfield

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 4:00 pm    

George Steele
Legal Name George Rastellini
He had two children George and Debbie
I dated Debbie for a couple years in the early 70’s
Then George Steele and the Steelers would play weekends at Patio Pizza in Simi Valley California. Which means I spent time hearing him perform. He was a great Steel player!
This was when they were making their records with REENA records. The record company decide that George should sing all the songs on the album. Before when they were playing the singing duties were shared between 3 of the 4 band members. Unfortunately I don’t remember the two men that played the guitars and also sang. The both were good singers which had to make hard when the decision was made to only use one, which was needed for continuity between songs.
George and the Rastellini family were great people.
Last I heard George Jr was in Florida. If located he would have a lot of information.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 4:38 pm    

thanks for that information...i will share it with my friend Bobby Woods, his band name. He will be pleased that there are people who recall the band...his wife was the singer in the band...he had a tape that I converted to CD of the band playing and his wife was a great singer. It was a very good band !! Bobby still sings and plays guitar...I love his voice, even at 87, he still has a great quality crooner type of voice.
Thanks again.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 4:38 pm    

thanks for that information...i will share it with my friend Bobby Woods, his band name. He will be pleased that there are people who recall the band...his wife was the singer in the band...he had a tape that I converted to CD of the band playing and his wife was a great singer. It was a very good band !! Bobby still sings and plays guitar...I love his voice, even at 87, he still has a great quality crooner type of voice.
Thanks again.

Douglas Cresanta

Satellite Beach, FL
Post  Posted 4 May 2022 7:06 am    

I lived in Simi Valley in the early 70's and frequented
Patio Pizza, where I remember George Steele playing
steel and chatted with him. I think his day job, was
working at Capitol Records, as an arranger/producer.
The Capitol Records building, was the round, multi-story
building, next to the 405 Freeway.

After George left Patio Pizza, another band, led by Gary
Hanley, called Alfalfa, became the house band. For a
short time, Dan Dugmore, was the steeler until he left
for Linda Ronstat. Colin Kyffin, then took over as the
steeler. Colin was the steeler for Eddie Rabbitt, when
he played the West Coast/Vegas.

The owner of Patio Pizza, Tony Azzivedo, was big into
promoting Country Music. There was Country Music five
nights a week, Wednesday-Sunday. Wednesday night was
Talent Night. Tony, would bring in local talents to
help them get started.

There were some great steelers from George Steele, Dan
Dugmore and Colin Kyffin, as well as a nod, to great
guitar player, Johnny Meeks, Gene Vincents guitarist.

It was a great period of time for Country Music and
Patio Pizza in Simi Valley was the place to enjoy it.
Lots of good memories from back then.

Doug C.