The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spider tension screw
Steve Blazek

Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 8:20 am    

I just installed a new Legend cone in my Beard guitar and it does not seem as loud as with the 10 year old original, is this a problem with the spider tension screw?
how tight or loose?
Thanks

John Owen

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2022 4:32 pm    

From Beard's website - Resonator Cone Care in the FAQ section:

A Note on tension screws
An improperly adjusted tension screw will not only kill the tone of your resonator but in the worse case, damage your cone! The cone should only have 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn of tension on it total, with the strings tuned to pitch.
Install the cone with the screw through the spider and tighten just until the head of the screw touches the top of the spider with NO tension on the screw. This is the starting point for the tension adjustment. The spider sits on the cone and the screw is just there to add a little tension. It is not there to hold the spider on the cone, (the string pressure does this). Do not use the spring that comes with most import cones that may be in your guitar! Throw the spring away, it serves no purpose!
After stringing the guitar and tuning it to pitch, you can adjust the screw. You may have to tighten the screw down until the head of the screw touches the spider again as the cone sinks with string pressure. From this point, tighten the screw 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn.

[url]
https://www.beardguitars.com/resonatorconecare[/url]

Steve Blazek

Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2022 4:28 am    

Thanks John, I giggled with it Saturday night and now it rings like a grand piano!!

John Owen

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2022 11:30 am    

Glad to hear that Steve. As it happens I knew right where to find that info since I had the same question about 2 weeks ago. I'm glad you posted when you did because 2 weeks is about the shelf life for my memory banks these days!