The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EQ pedal recommendations?
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 12:52 pm    

Looking for recs on an EQ pedal. I play a GMI ultra through a Peavey Nashville 112 and I just haven’t ever been able to dial it in quite like I’m wanting. Always sounds too…I don’t know, muddy is the only way I can think to describe it - unless I crank the highs and presence pretty much all the way up.

No specific budget yet - I really don’t know a thing about EQ pedals - just starting the research here!

Mike Auman

North Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 1:47 pm    

Hey Travis, there are two basic types of EQ pedals: graphic and parametric. Graphic is like a recording mixer board with 7 or 10 sliders, each one assigned to cut or boost a specific frequency (Boss GE-7 or MXR 10-band for example.) Parametric has two or more bands, each with an adjustable center frequency and adjustable cut/boost (Empress Para EQ or Carl Martin 3-band for example.) Graphic types are easy to understand and quick to adjust, cost less, but tend to be a little noiser. Parametric types are more flexible and can nail that exact frequency you want to cut/boost, but can get a little more expensive as you increase the number of bands.

Gil James

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2022 3:05 pm    

Travis, try setting your 112 like this. If no improvement it could be your cables. Shouldn't have to eq that amp with that guitar. Make sure you plug in to the high gain jack.

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2022 3:27 am    

What Gil said, the amp has all you need and that's a good starting point. If your sound is muddy turn the lows down to give the mids and highs some room. No good can come of adding a pedal to your input signal, thus introducing noise and phase distortion while ditching the amp's really nice, designed-for-pedal-steel preamp and replacing it with a cheap IC running at an inadequate voltage for anything resembling high performance.

There is one caveat: you may be able to use the pedal device to identify frequencies to cut or boost, settings that you can then replicate on the amp's EQ after removing the pedal from the circuit.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2022 7:23 am    

If you're using a pot-pedal, you can try reversing the wires at the pedal. A pot pedal hooked up backwards sounds like you're playing through a wet blanket.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2022 3:05 am     Re: EQ pedal recommendations?

Travis Bubenik wrote:
Looking for recs on an EQ pedal. I play a GMI ultra through a Peavey Nashville 112 and I just haven’t ever been able to dial it in quite like I’m wanting. Always sounds too…I don’t know, muddy is the only way I can think to describe it - unless I crank the highs and presence pretty much all the way up.

No specific budget yet - I really don’t know a thing about EQ pedals - just starting the research here!

Travis
get a Danelectro Fish & Chips. It’s a 7 band and is super quiet. I can also use mine with my Les Paul and my high gain high volume tube amp stacks I use to play heavy metal/thrash where those amps by their nature make enough hiss and noise without adding a noisy eq pedal lol….and the Danelectro can be used as a dobro simulator by alternately dime’ng one slider and then zero’ng the next across the seven sliders
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2022 8:39 am    

Travis, try changing your cables, I had a friend who made up a set of cables, only to find they sucked all the highs out of tone. His ShoBud LDG into Nashville 400 sounded as if someone had put a blanket over it.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2022 9:17 am    

1) MXR M81 is a great pedal. It's a bass pedal, but the mid frequency can be moved to suit. Bass and Treble are compatible with steel.
2) Boss 59 Bassman pedal is also good.
I have both. One is used with the TC Electronic BQ250 amp. The other is used with Quilter 201. I'm getting excellent results with both pedals.
I would recommend the M81 as a first choice since the mid frequency can be selected. With two mid selections (Nashville and M81), you should be able to get what you need. It's a super quiet pedal. Plus, you can tweak between the tone of a 15" and 12" speaker, should you ever need to.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 4:41 am    

This is not exactly what you are looking for but a Black Box sort of smooths out some of the shrillness on an NV 112 and creates better separation, which then allows you to play at slightly higher volume and get more emphasis and clarity across the spectrum bass to treble. And hopefully you have newer strings on the guitar of course.