The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Some kind of application for learning You Tube videos
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 4:41 pm    

There are many You Tube videos I try to learn from. I wish there was some kind of application where I could slow down the You Tube video. Does anyone know how I can slow down You Tube videos?

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 4:52 pm    

I found how to do it with the computer or phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUymMkTpScw
Still looking for how to do it with Roku If you find out with Roku let me know?

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 4:59 pm    

Keith, underneath the video there is a gear shaped
key. Just click on it check speed then just select
either 50% or 75% to slow it down. I always like to
to use Audacity to download them to and then you can
can change the speed or the key & many other things.

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 5:10 pm    

There is a program called "Transcribe!". It's excellent for playing the audio and shows the video in a separate window. There's a slider where you can slow it down to any speed (both audio and video) without changing the pitch at all. I've been using it a lot. You can see exactly what was done at a slow speed and hear it too. There's another program called "the Amazing Slow Downer". For me Transcribe was money well spent.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 5:23 pm    

Carl Kilmer wrote:
Keith, underneath the video there is a gear shaped key. Just click on it check speed then just select either 50% or 75% to slow it down..

Exactly. I have been doing this for a long time. Works great. If you want, you can open a second window at the same time, bring up the same song, and have one set at 50% and the other normal. That way you can click back and forth instantly, to hear it either way. You can even speed it up to 125% if you wish.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 5:25 pm    

On a mac, I use a program called Airy. You post the url into Airy and it downloads the file as an mp4. I then pull the mp4 into Transcribe and I can slow down and loop sections to my hearts content. Make sure you get the video add on for Transcribe.

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 6:55 pm    

I see how I can mirror my I-Phone to my T.V. screen. That way get YouTube on my phone and it will be displayed on the T.V.
With Roku---the older Rokus won't let you change the speed, but the newer ones will. I have both old and new Roku. Go to the little gear symbol, then to settings and you will see speed on the newer Rokus. This is wonderful for learning, I never knew about it until tonight.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 7:02 pm    

There is also a youtube app for roku which is what I use. The only problem is looping specific segments and slowing down . That is where Transcribe shines.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 8:11 pm    

If you download the video as an mp4, VLC media player will let you loop sections of the video and slow them down. And it's a free, open-source, multi-platform application. Discussed on this thread - https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=362105 - I mostly use Windows or Linux, but I have a version on my iPhone. But I find phone applications pretty crippled in comparison to those for a real computer, and this one is no exception.

Clipgrab is another multi-platform application that will download the video as an mp4. There are lots of applications that will do this.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2022 10:59 am    

I second the use of "Transcribe!" I have been using it for almost 20 years. IMHO it is the bomb for slowing down, speeding up, or changing the key of almost any Audio format, and it works with video too. A Google search will get you to the web site, but make sure you search for "Transcribe!" Once you buy it, you are eligible for upgrades at no additional cost. I have been using g it since Win XP, and we will all be using Win 11 soon. Give it a look. It is well worth the money.