The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Waylon Jennings band question?
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2022 10:05 pm    

In early Waylon recordings (Early as in Live at JD's) there is some very clear high harmony by I believe Gerald Gropp. Someone correct me if that was Paul Foster. Anyway after roughly the mid 60's I know Gerald Gropp stayed around but apparently Paul Foster did not. does anyone know if Waylon made any further recordings that featured a vocal presence of one or both of them after 1965. All the references I can find is Gerald Gropp listed as playing guitar on recordings for several years.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2022 3:39 pm    

Jerry Gropp relocated to Canada in the early 70’s to escape the Vietnam draft and became known as “ Jerry Dallas” his band “The Jerry Dallas Band” was the ultimate “Outlaw” band on the road for about 10 years, he toured and recorded many Roy Payne songs as well as his underground song with the words “ I can’t shoot nobody, I wonder if Canada’s cold”. He found out it was cold after being arrested for drug possession upon which he served some time in jail and was then deported back to Phoenix,AZ. Where he hailed from. His band went on to become “The Cement City Stompers” under the initial leadership of Phil Lloyd and underwent several incarnations until Phil’s untimely death. Jerry also passed away from a heart attack in the US but had been reunited with Waylon briefly. And now, as Paul Harvey says;… you know the rest of the story!
Jerry was a great singer and entertainer and an original Outlaw who brought his A game to Toronto and they loved him there!