The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1957 Martin D21
Jake Bopp

Tallahassee, FL
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2022 1:22 pm    

1957, These are just some preliminary pictures, I will get a pic of the serial on the neck block, and some better pictures for interested buyers. Guitar plays great, but I know guitars of this vintage, and price will get picked on, so I'm ready for that. Prospective price is 7k, for forum members and immediate bandmates in the relative southeast (I'd like to deliver or meet half way to avoid any shipping issues,) the price is 6400$.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2022 2:21 am    

This is an awesome guitar! That’s Braziian Rosewood I believe, reminds me of my ‘69 D-21 I used to own.
Imo this is very similar to a D-28…only difference is the rosewood fingerboard and the rosewood bridge , instead of ebony, as far as I know. I played mine for almost 30 years, then up graded to a HD-28.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Last edited by Dana Blodgett on 4 Jan 2022 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total

Jake Bopp

Tallahassee, FL
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 7:09 am    

Taking proper pictures this evening!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 8:23 am    

That's a striking bit of Brazilian rosewood! The guitar looks right and I'd say you're pretty close with your suggested price.

I'm not fond of Dreadnoughts (000s are my weakness; I have a '52 000-21), but I'm in the minority. Maybe the Steel Forum isn't a wide enough market for this very special instrument but there's a buyer somewhere who'll really want this one. It looks as though that's not a 'period' case but it's hard to tell from the photos.

Best of luck with the sale.

Jake Bopp

Tallahassee, FL
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 8:50 am    

I figured this would be as good as anywhere to try and sell! I feel obligated to offer things here, to members, for less because of all the years of good deals and friends I've made here.

I don't believe the case is original, you're correct. It's a beautiful guitar that sounds beautiful, hopefully it goes to a good home. I didn't expect it to be an easy sell.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 1:04 pm    

Love the back.. wow what a great piece you have there.. I would never sell it!

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 2:13 pm    

Style 21 has always been my favorite, and that rosewood is absolutely beautiful! Like Roger, I prefer 000s (12 fret short scale), but that is one nice Martin. Good luck!

Dave

Jake Bopp

Tallahassee, FL
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2022 5:46 pm    

It's not my thing, TBH. Having a guitar that cost me more than my truck is really kind of a mind-blowing experience, haha. I hope it goes to someone who will care for it. I've had reasonable interest, lots of trade offer for other 7000$ guitars, haha.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2022 3:34 am    

Back when vintage National prices went crazy a bunch of years ago, I had a pristine Style 4 tricone that I really liked. I took it to a guitar show just to show it to a friend when a fellow (who represented Scott Chinery the collector, but I didn't know it at the time) came up to me and wanted to buy it. I told him it wasn't for sale, but he started pulling out packs of 10 hundred dollar bills stapled together. He finally pulled out enough packs that I said--take the danged thing.

Like you, having a guitar that was worth more than my truck wasn't something I was interested in. The money was pretty interesting though.

FWIW, that style 4 ended up in Chinery's book as a gatefold, and I saw it in an exhibit of Chinery's guitars at the Smithsonian...

Good luck with the sale!

Dave

Jake Bopp

Tallahassee, FL
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2022 11:02 am    

Give 'er a bump!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2022 6:48 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:

I'm not fond of Dreadnoughts (000s are my weakness; I have a '52 000-21), but I'm in the minority.

Best of luck with the sale.

I had a '52 000-21 for years and what a sweet guitar it was. Redd Volkaert talked me out of it about 10 years ago, but I still occasionally yearn to pluck it once again.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2022 6:19 am    

Mine is gorgeous. A big bright tone and it responds to just my fingers (no picks for me, even on electric).

I'm surprised Jake's lovely D-21 is still here. Giving it a bump; it'd be handy if he could sell it on right here on our Forum.

Rand Anderson

Cardiff, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2022 10:59 pm    

PM Sent