The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tone tests, part 2
Thomas Bray

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 6:00 am    

Jim Lill, a Nashville musician in search of exactly what factors effect the tones we get from our electric guitars, posted his second video, this one focusing on the strings. (For part 1, see video link I shared in the thread "proof enough for me).

His first test focused on the myth that tone woods hold the same impact on tone with an electric guitar that they do with their acoustic cousins, and will change what decisions I make in wood selection in any future electric guitar builds where appearance is not a factor (mainly, those builds which have a painted surface). I will still base some decisions on my perception of sustain vs wood species (at least, until proven otherwise), but now, cost and durability take precedence, particularly since my "clientele" are family and friends, and the instrument is a gift.

I'm only 6 minutes into this new video, and have heard enough to convince me to share it as well.

Enjoy...

https://youtu.be/yiFcw-H5DN8

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 3:39 pm    

I've watched Jim Lill's videos over the last few months and find them interesting - maybe not always scientifically accurate, but definitely thought provoking.

On pedal steel I think the stability of the changer probably affects tone and sustain more than wood selection.

Based on Jim Lill's videos it could be a nice feature to have a pedal steel where you could switch out pickups easily (like an MSA), adjust pickup height, and have an adjustment to move the pickup from an inch from the changer to perhaps 4+ inches (end of the fretboard) to take some of the brightness off the tone. Just thinking.

Also, for an entertaining minute watch Jim Lill's video "15 Great Country Guitarists in 1 Minute" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY01V0m5lgM

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2022 11:05 am    

I can say with much uncertainty that Jim has now messed with every steel players thoughts on how to make 'that tone'... Whoa!

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2022 12:37 pm    

Rick Bernauer wrote:
On pedal steel I think the stability of the changer probably affects tone and sustain more than wood selection.
I think I can agree…

• Extremely stable bridge/changer.
• No "tone"-wood anywhere.
• Sustain: excellent.
• PU: movable.
• First contact with "sound-board": 12inches down the solid metal neck.
• "Body-drop" detuning: < 1 cent (measured max .5 cent).
• Temperature stability: < +/- 2 cents detuning from -5°C to +35°C with custom LSS strings. Designed to make the neck/nut/keyhead combo expand/contract "in tune" with the strings.
• Frame and "soundboard": original Dekley Slimline.
• Tone/sustain characteristics: sounds mainly like the original Dekley, but with a natural swell/bloom about 1.5 second after attack that assists in extending sustain to at least twice the time of the original.
• Other characteristics: a little overweight Very Happy