The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blues/Soul Singers/Musicians Syl and Jimmy Johnson
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2022 9:21 pm    

Blues guitarist/singer Jimmy Johnson passed last Monday 1/31/2022 at 93. Active since the 1950s, he continued performing until very recently. Jimmy played with a wide variety of people in both blues and soul music, and fronted his own band for many years.

Then today 2/6/2022, his brother, blues/soul singer extraordinaire Syl Johnson has passed at 85. One of my absolute favorites, his work at Hi Records in the 1970s was tremendous. But he has also been very influential in the last couple of decades as a result of many musicians sampling his music.

Along with the passing of the great blues drummer Sam Lay last week, it's been a mind-boggling week for me. These guys were the real deal, I was lucky to see each of them, either fronting their own bands or playing with someone else.

Daniel Dickie

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2022 4:10 am    

Oh no .. I was just looking Syl Johnson up on the internet a few days ago to see if he was still performing.
I saw him at the Brisbane Festival with the Bamboos around 10 years ago.
I could not believe the energy that he had in that concert. He also shredded his stratocaster... Sounded better than Buddy Guy.
For someone more known for his soul singing it was fantastic.... I bought one of his CDs and he said that he would sign it after the show..... I waited around but he didn't show.... He was playing the next night too. One of his band members said come back tomorrow.. So I did... Again no show.... I had waited for hours...
Anyway a few years ago I read a review of the show online and it said he had a heart attack following the show and was at the hospital for treatment....
I will never forget the concert.... I still don't have his autograph either...
RIP Syl Johnson