The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  OD Recommendations for Lap Steel
Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 8:18 pm    

I have no idea why Mad Professor discontinued the Simble but please let me know if you have one you’re willing to part with. Thanks!

Last edited by Mathew Peluso on 27 Jan 2022 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 7:23 am    

I recently purchased a Twimble from Peach Guitars via Reverb. As of this morning, they have one left. https://reverb.com/item/41002681-mad-professor-twimble-overdrive
The transaction was straightforward and the pedal arrived promptly.

Karlis

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 2:24 pm    

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, this’ll be for a pretty small board with not much open space so the Twimble won’t fit. How are you liking it though?

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 5:30 pm    

I am able to get all kinds of tones with the Twimble from sweet to crunchy. The compressor side really does open up the pedal.

A small form factor d=style pedal that you might consider is the Demon Pedals Kondo Shifuku d_style. It has a lot more options that the Simble. I got mine from Electric Mojo in Canada. An excellent quality pedal with the same D*mble approach. I can't decide which I like more, the Twimble or the Kondo Shifuku. With the two pedals, I can dial in a sweet sound on one and a crunchy sound on the other and quickly switch my sound.

Karlis

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 7:26 pm    

Man, the demos for the Kondo Shifuku sound great! That one doesn’t seem to be available, and honestly a little more than I’d like to pay. The Dude from J Rockett sounds pretty impressive though. That might be the winner if I can’t track down a Simble!

Do you use the Twimble and Kondo with lap or pedal steel?

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 7:00 am    

I use the pedals with lap steel. I have a home-made 25.5 inch scale 6 string tuned to open D. The pedals add a special dimension to the sound which is good to begin with.

Karlis

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 1:03 pm    

Vertex Ultra Pheonix now comes in an enclosure that size. Might also look at Wampler Euphoria and the two Mojohand dumble style pedals.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 4:51 pm    

Thanks for the recommendations! Just ordered The Dude v2 so hopefully that’ll do the trick. I’ll be using it with a lap steel in open E.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 8:32 pm    

For anyone interested, The Dude v2 sounds so great with lap steel. Stacks extremely well with Klon type pedals too! I’m using it with the ARC Effects Klone.

No longer looking for a Simble but this post could go to electronics maybe since there are some good pedal recommendations.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 10:10 pm    

These are my two favorites. The GRASS is like a Tube Screamer and so tiny it fits on any pedal board. The BB is a standard MXR size pedal that has a great organic drive sound.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 11:51 pm    

I'm using a HotTone Grass pedal and a Tone City Bad Horse. The Grass pedal has more of a distortion pedal sound and the Bad Horse is a Klon Clone and can work as a booster pedal all the way up to a mild distortion. I really like both of them a lot but the Bad Horse has a really unique sound to it. I mainly use them on pedal steel and lap steel gigs, but the Bad Horse works great on electric guitar gigs too.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 9:21 am    

Another recommendation for the Bad Horse or one of several similar Klon clones that share the same board and likely from the same factory. A nice musical overdrive.

If you want to try an 808 style tube screamer sound, the Behringer clone version is $25 shipped at Sweetwater.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TO800--behringer-to800-vintage-tube-overdrive-pedal

I was about to buy one when my buddy offered to build me one, so I'm holding off.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2022 4:35 pm    

Mathew Peluso wrote:
For anyone interested, The Dude v2 sounds so great with lap steel. Stacks extremely well with Klon type pedals too! I’m using it with the ARC Effects Klone.

No longer looking for a Simble but this post could go to electronics maybe since there are some good pedal recommendations.

The Dude is a "desert island" pedal. Just awesome! The Ratio knob allows you to fine tune your wet/dry signal.

I usually use it with an Xotic AC Plus.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 12:09 pm    

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:

The Dude is a "desert island" pedal. Just awesome! The Ratio knob allows you to fine tune your wet/dry signal.

I usually use it with an Xotic AC Plus.

Agreed! I bonded with it instantly for both lap steel and standard electric.

I also have a BB preamp. It really nails the creamy, slightly compressed Marshall lead tone but that’s lost its place on the board for now Wink

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 7:04 am    

Is this pedal the one?
http://rockettpedals.org/product/the-dude-v2/

K Maul

Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 10:42 am    

On your advice I bought a DUDE. I’ll have it in a few days. Will give a report.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 3:02 pm    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
Is this pedal the one?
http://rockettpedals.org/product/the-dude-v2/

That’s the one!

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 3:20 pm    

Somebody should start an overdrive pedal library where you can check them out like a book and then throw them in the return slot when done Laughing

I have the Mad Professor Golden Cello, and the Hotone Grass, and another three or four pedals, some sound better than others with different guitars. But the one I keep going back to (lately) is the trusty old Boss Blues Driver. I've gone back to it after discovering it is worth playing around with the tone control (something I over-looked in the past and just cranked it bright). That old pedal does a lot with subtle settings.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 8:32 am    

I’ve never used it myself but this DOES exist. It’s like the original dvd version of Netflix but for effects pedals:

https://pedalgenie.com/pedals/distortion-and-overdrive

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 4:52 pm    

Not a bad idea. .if Uber delivered the pedal along with a sandwich, I'd consider. . .
Uber Eats and Overdrive.

K Maul

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 5:43 am    

Got a used Dude-v2 yesterday at a reasonable price on eBay. Haven't tried it in the field yet but am liking it so far. I really like the compact size and sturdy casing. It sounds really good with my old Supro double six. Those pickups just seem to really sing with it. I have a few other guitars to try it on. Thanks for the tip on this.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2022 7:36 am    

Watching this thread, it seemed to me The Dude V2 might be the overdrive I was looking for. Internet videos sounded good. So I got one, and I think it will make the sounds I want to hear. But I wasn't sure whether it was "true bypass" or not -- my guitar seemed to sound different when it was in the circuit, even off, but I was temporarily using two regular instrument cables, and thought that might be affecting it.

So this morning, I emailed the maker, Chris Van Tassel. He answered within 20 minutes. That's a heck of a good sign, in my book.

And yes, it is true bypass.

--Al Evans

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2022 8:05 am    

The Aion Azimuth, it's a clone of the Zendrive which is "dumble" ish. It puts me in the ball park of Dave Lindley's "Running on Empty" tone. Really smooth. I use it on my pedal steel for doing Son Volt's "Left a Slide" as well.

It's a kit and you can solder it in an afternoon.

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5