The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dobro simulator?
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 8:37 am    

Is any company still making a Dobro simulator anymore?
Thanks,
Geo

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 8:44 am    

Tom Bradshaw

https://songwriter.com/bradshaw/resonator.php

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 10:06 am    

Just use a Boss GE7. First slider (far left) all the way down, the next slider all the way up and then repeat going to the right

Phone: 971-219-8533

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 11:30 am     Thank you

Thanks, I’ll check it out.
Geo

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 10:37 am    

I had pretty good luck with a Danaelectro Fish and Chips 7 Band EQ, used just like Larry suggested. I paid 29.95 for the Danelectro and it may be discontinued, but looks like Behringer makes a similar product now. I used the dobro effect about twice a night with the guy I was working with, so I wasn't too crazy about spending 100.00+ on the Boss. YMMV...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/danelectro-dj14-fish-and-chips-7-band-eq-pedal

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EQ700--behringer-eq700-graphic-equalizer-pedal

Last edited by Bill Terry on 28 Jan 2022 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 11:22 am    

I also use a Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ. I compared it to the Bo-Bro (just a Boss EQ that had the sliders set, levers broken off, and a piece of plastic placed over the sliders, and charged twice as much as the retail price of the Boss EQ) I had, and preferred the Danelectro.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 11:43 am    

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Dobro%20Simulator/Dobro%20Sim.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 12:01 pm    

Why do you want a Dobro similator....You spend boocou bucks on a PSG so why not splurge and get a low cost dobro from a pawn shop.
Just my opinion....
Sam

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 12:07 pm     Why

Hi Samuel,
It’s a lot easier putting a stomp box in my gig bag than hauling another instrument besides what I do now. When you get to 77, you start thinking lighter is better (for some things).
Geo

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 2:15 pm    

Samuel Phillippe wrote:
Why do you want a Dobro similator....You spend boocou bucks on a PSG so why not splurge and get a low cost dobro from a pawn shop.
Just my opinion....
Sam

Amplifying an acoustic dobro is prohibitive if you play on small stages. I have a dobro but can't use at places I play due to space limitations and feedback. For the one or two songs a night, it's not worth the hassle.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 2:27 pm    

Richard wrote:
For the one or two songs a night, it's not worth the hassle.

Bingo, also why I didn't spend 100.00 plus on a Boss.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 4:14 pm    

Regarding Bill Terry's post about the Behringer EQ pedal...........

Not so fast.

The one Bill linked is for a BASS EQ pedal. (The "B" in BEQ700.)
The frequency bands are different than the Boss/Dano.
Someone will need to try them to see if they give the same results.

For the record, Behringer DOES make what appears to be a clone of the Boss and the Danelectro, right down to the frequency bands.
And it is also listed at Sweetwater. (EQ700)
I have not tried one, but have been VERY tempted for the cost of $25 with shipping included.

After all, when I look back at my life and look at the things that I've WASTED $25 or more on, this is a colossal bargain. ;>))

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 4:23 pm    

ajm wrote:

Oops.. absolutely correct. I edited the original post to point to the EQ700 now. I agree, 25 bucks is virtually free these days. Smile

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 5:04 pm    

The behringer clones of boss pedals for od, eq, dist, and fuzz are dead on to the models they are cloning. Just mass produced for pennies in china in a plastic enclosure.
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 6:04 pm    

ajm wrote:
Regarding Bill Terry's post about the Behringer EQ pedal...........

Not so fast.

The frequency bands are different than the Boss/Dano.
Someone will need to try them to see if they give the same results.

For the record, Behringer DOES make what appears to be a clone of the Boss and the Danelectro, right down to the frequency bands.
And it is also listed at Sweetwater. (EQ700)
I have not tried one, but have been VERY tempted for the cost of $25 with shipping included.

After all, when I look back at my life and look at the things that I've WASTED $25 or more on, this is a colossal bargain. ;>))

The frequency bands seem to be important. I also have a Source Audio programmable 7 band EQ with different frequency bands and have not been able to get the dobro sound out of it.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 5:35 am     Re: Thank you

George McLellan wrote:
Geo

George
You can also use a Danelecto fish & chips eq pedal same as the Boss. Alternate each of the sliders all the way up all the way down all the way up all the way down etc
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 5:39 am     Re: Thank you

George McLellan wrote:
Geo

George
Also get the “Buddy Bar” from Tom Bradshaw…its like $25 and is a weird plastic rubbery kinda material that works excellently w/ the eq pedal to give a really nice dobro sound you just can’t get w a regular bar. You can thank me later lol
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 8:14 am    

George: Just curious.........

Is there a reason that you don't want to use a graphic EQ pedal?

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 8:30 am     Re: Thank you

Patrick Huey wrote:

Also get the “Buddy Bar” from Tom Bradshaw…

Not saying they aren’t useful but it reminds me of a gig I did once that Buddy E was on when he was with the Everly Bros. He played some good dobro sounding stuff in C6 with a Matchbro. I asked him if he used the plastic bar that came with it. He said “…Nahhhh!”
But it WAS Buddy Emmons - so it was magic!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Webb, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 10:34 am     Ajm

I don’t believe I said anything about not using a graphic EQ pedal. It just didn’t accure to me that it would work for that purpose. I appreciate all the information that all of you fellow forumites have shared.
Geo

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 4:25 am     Re: Thank you

K Maul wrote:
Patrick Huey wrote:

Also get the “Buddy Bar” from Tom Bradshaw…

Not saying they aren’t useful but it reminds me of a gig I did once that Buddy E was on when he was with the Everly Bros. He played some good dobro sounding stuff in C6 with a Matchbro. I asked him if he used the plastic bar that came with it. He said “…Nahhhh!”
But it WAS Buddy Emmons - so it was magic!

I never liked using the plastic bar either. Killed all sustain. Every dobro I have owned had good sustain. Found the plastic bar useless.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 7:29 am    

I have a (original model) Goodrich Matchbro, and I use the plastic bar that comes with it. I tried two different EQ's, when the Matchbro was down for maintenance, and neither came close to the Matchbro.

I've fooled Bluegrass pickers and I've had people come up to the stage, on a break, and ask "where's the dobro". Good enough for me. Paul Franklin Sr heard a couple instrumentals I did with the Matchbro and told me I should make a CD of Matchbro songs.