The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel through a 4x10 bass cab?
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 1:05 pm    

Anyone done this?
I'm curious to hear folks' experiences.

I've got a nice Avatar B410 Neo out in the garage that I'm thinking about making space for in the music room. IIRC, it's around 60 pounds and loaded with 4 Deltalites which IIRC, have some slight spec modifications at Avatar's request vs whatever was standard in 2009.

Will probably bring it in sometime anyway, but thought I'd ask folks experiences before I build up the to the hassle of garage-digging in sub-zero temperatures.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 1:20 pm    

According to the Sisk book

Buck Owens had at least one 4x10 Bassman that his steel players used. Jay McDonald and Tom Brumley both played through one. Probably not considered a bass amp or cabinet by modern standards, but it was back in the day.

Try it, and if you like the sound -- it's all good.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 1:42 pm    

On the very general principle that bass amps work well for steel, I'd certainly dig it out and give it a go, even in January Smile

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 1:59 pm    

I've been using two Ampeg 2x10 cabs with a GK 500 head for quite awhile. It works for me!

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 2:02 pm    

I use a 4-10 Bassman for all of my "loud" gigs (mostly outside). It sounds great and has a nice snarl when it heats up and the volume creeps up Smile

Tom

Don Downes

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 4:04 pm    

If you need help moving that, gimme a call!! That is the sweetest sounding cab I've ever heard. EVER! So versatile. A former bass player had that with an SWR top. He could make me weep with the music he played.

BTW, it's all of 2 degrees here in NH. But, I would still help you Very Happy

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 9:00 pm    

Dang, you guys have got me thinking I may have to hit the garage tomorrow!

I'd probably be running it with my old Ampeg Portabass 250.

Don, I'll keep that in mind, but I'll probably not be parting with it. I ordered it custom, back when they would let you choose your tolex color, grill, piping and corners. To me it's still the prettiest bass cab I"ve ever laid eyes on. I'll say no more now but I'll post pictures when it comes out.

Hopefully the temps will be above -5 tomorrow ...

Last edited by Karl Paulsen on 27 Jan 2022 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 10:24 pm    

I love using my old tweed 4x10" Bassman for local gigs when I know I'm at a venue where I don't have to worry about someone throwing up on or spilling beer on my stuff. I generally don't do out-of-town gigs with it at this point - traveling takes its toll.

But a 4x10" cab can definitely push a lot of air, and I like the presence of 10" speakers for virtually anything. I really like Vibrolux Reverbs for E9 pedal steel, but they can run out of gas pretty quickly on a loud stage. But 4x10" has a nice sweet spot, to me.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 1:29 am    

I don't know if this is relevant, but my bass amp is a Roland 1x10 combo which I also use quite happily for PSG when I want to travel light. 10" speakers seem very versatile.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 9:27 am    

you are talking about a modern box speaker cab. the other guys are talking about a vintage open back fender amp combo with 4 10" speakers. these will sound nothing alike at all.

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 9:55 am    

I recently bought a Davis amp with 2 10”s. At first I was sceptical about the speakers. I’ve always played steel through fifteens, and occasionally a twelve. I really don’t think I’m missing anything with the tens. This amp sounds great with them. It is an open back cabinet.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 12:22 pm    

I wrote:
I don't know if this is relevant

then Bill Hatcher wrote:
you are talking about a modern box speaker cab. the other guys are talking about a vintage open back fender amp combo with 4 10" speakers. these will sound nothing alike at all.

So now I know! Thanks, Bill! Smile

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 12:59 pm    

Bill Hatcher wrote:

That's true, but Jon's experience sounds encouraging.
I'm actually thinking that a closed back bass cab with 10's might be a very good match for steel. It was a very balanced cab when I used it for bass. Neither too boomy nor too brittle.

Dean Parks

Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2022 9:00 am    

FWIW Bobby Black told me he used to go hear Vance Terry at the "Brisbane Bop" location, playing his Bigsby pedal steel thru a Bassman 4x12.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 7:19 pm    

Weather warned up and I brought it in and unwrapped the Avatar B410NEO.

Hooked it up with my Portabass 250.

Liking the sound. Unsurprisingly, being a closed cab it's very deep and smooth sounding. For better or worse there's no jangle. The high mid shift moves the center to 900k so you can sweep it out similarly to a Nashville 400. Missing reverb, but I'll hook up my Zoom B1on tomorrow to add some.

It's as different as can be imagined from the Peavey Special 150 in a 1x15 Reno cab I just put together but I think I like the bass setup better. Looks like the bass rig will be my second setup for playing with stereo effects with The Milkman Half and Half.

Sounds great for bass too.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 9:36 am    

Personally, I think a 4x10 cab is better than 2x12, and maybe even better than a single 15.. 4x10 for pedal steel is vastly under used and under rated.

I have used 4x10 cabs over the years to good effect, and IMHO, the best sound I ever got out of any pedal steel was with a plain old 1968/69 or so Fender Super Reverb. an old trick was to use 2 JBL/s along with 2 Oxford/Jensen/Rola/Utah/CTS/ or whatever other brand was used back then that carried a Fender label,,,
Made for a very good sounding rig...

I think every steel player/guitar guy that gigs in venues of different shapes and sizes should own a good 4x10 cab.. At times, there's nothing better.... bo

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2022 2:34 pm    

I love my 59 fender BassMan .. I will never sell it

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 11:28 am    

Did another A/B last night, this time with some digital reverb on the bass amp. I do think I still like the Ampeg/Avatar bass rig better, but the Special 150 in Reno cab is growing on me.

I'm beginning to understand the difference between closed and open back cabinets perhaps better than ever before. The bass rig is tight and warm and thick sounding. the Special 150 is bright and chimey.

Maybe I should plug each amp into each other's speaker. Would that be safe if I kept the volumes relatively low? I'm thinking mostly about possible problems having the 250 watt Ampeg plugged into the 15" Scorpion.

Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2022 6:04 pm    

For what it’s worth I’ve been using a ‘94 Fender Super 4x10” Jensens 60watt 8 ohm amp with my ‘73 Sho~Bud 6139 and imo it sounds great. Been using this for about 12 yrs. Other times I use my 50 watt Ampeg Ba112(solid state) bass amp
With 12” eminence Speaker I believe.
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 11:25 am    

What's a good choice of 10 inch speaker (make and model) to put in a new 4x10 open back cab?