The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headphone Noise
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 8:11 am    

It seems that every set of headphones I own makes noise when the cord rubs against my shirt. Are there any phones (other than wireless) that don't have this problem?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 8:28 am    

Does it happen with every shirt you own?

Just being methodical Smile

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 9:20 am    

Laughing I suppose it's worse with flannel. I should wear silk? Laughing

The cords are microphonic. I know that the sound is not being recorded, but it's distracting.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 12:31 pm    

Be careful with wireless. Bluetooth in particular has a delay in it. If you're recording with other tracks, it will cause you problems. I tried it because I get the chair and things tangled up with the cord. It didn't work and I had to just learn to work with the cord.

RC

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 12:48 pm     Perhaps A Static Electricity Charge

Perhaps the noise is created by a static electricity charge generated by the rubber or vinyl wire cover rubbing against your shirt.

Try rubbing a clothes dryer sheet over the cable, your shirt front or both. The spray from a spray can called Static Guard dissipates static really well.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 4:17 pm    

Don’t wear shirts ! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 7:49 pm    

bOb,

I've considered using an extension and hanging the headset from the ceiling to keep it out of the way.

RC

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 5:50 am    

Certain headphone cable coverings are very microphonic. I have had this issue with some earphones, in particular the Shure SE215, and I replaced the cable with a softercable and the problem is completely eradicated. Techflex is a commonly used cable covering and it tends to be stiff.

What kind of headphones are we talking about, b0b?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 6:42 am    

+1 to what Rick said about delay (latency) in Bluetooth headphones. They are OK for just listening but can't be used with recording.

I use AT ATH M50X headphones and never noticed any "noise".

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 8:42 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
Certain headphone cable coverings are very microphonic. I have had this issue with some earphones, in particular the Shure SE215, and I replaced the cable with a softercable and the problem is completely eradicated. Techflex is a commonly used cable covering and it tends to be stiff.

What kind of headphones are we talking about, b0b?

Sony, Sennheiser.

What cable did you use?

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 10:24 am    

Youkamoo 3.5mm 8 Core Silver Plated Braided Earphone Replacement Upgrade Cable purchased on Amazon. Again, it was for Shure earbuds, so I’m not sure if your cable is swappable at all.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 1:02 pm    

I just purchased a Sony MDR7506 headphone and no static or microphonics, and they sound very accurate.

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 9:10 pm    

If you're doing mixing and mastering, I'm sold on the Slate Audio VSX. Not cheap, but I consider it money well spent. The headphones, used with the provided software, allows you to hear what your mixes sound like on different systems... various studios, car stereos, boomboxes, etc... all while sitting in your chair.

https://youtu.be/qOy_frx5WNw

RC

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 11:06 pm    

It's not about the shirt. If you rub your headphone cable between your fingers, do you hear that in the phones? That's the noise I'm talking about. Oh Well

Eric Long

Bay Area, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 11:36 pm    

You can run the cable down your back instead of the front and sometimes this can help. It comes down to minimizing the way that the cable rubs. Sometimes straight cables do a better job than coiled cables for reducing noise.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2022 9:06 pm    

John Sims wrote:
I just purchased a Sony MDR7506 headphone and no static or microphonics, and they sound very accurate.

Taking your advice, I bought a pair too. Very pleased with them. I just produced an ambient electronic piece with them and was able to hear it very well.

Thanks for the recommendation, John. Mr. Green

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2022 9:38 pm    

More than likely the static is not coming from the cord itself but by a dirty, dusty headphone output port. It only shows up when you move the cord because it's wiggling the tiny 3/8" jack that doesn't take much dust to cause problems. Before you buy anything get a cotton swab and alcohol and clean the inside of the output jack. If that's not the problem it's probably inside the heaphones itself where the wires are attached.

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2022 4:41 am    

b0b wrote:
John Sims wrote:

Taking your advice, I bought a pair too. Very pleased with them. I just produced an ambient electronic piece with them and was able to hear it very well.

Thanks for the recommendation, John. Mr. Green

My pleasure b0b! I purchased a few different one's for comparison and settled on the 7506. The 7506 has very good quality sound reproduction. Glad you like them sir! Wow, Java music...I love it! Very nice. My wife would like this when doing her meditating.

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).