The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Hickory Wind Attempt
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 7:18 am    

Lloyd and Jay Dee's playiing always moves me so I took a short stab at one. Just even having some remnants of Lloyd and Jay Dee makes anything sound good.
I played this on a steel my friend LaVern Luehrs designed and built. He calls his guitar business Redneck Steel Guitars. He has a Facebook site of the same name. Very, very uniquely built. He doesn't build them to sell. He just gave me his first prototype to demonstrate. He sells the instructions to build them yourself at home out of materials you can buy at a local hardware store. The only outsourced parts was the tuners and pickup. I love the sound of it. First guitar I've ever had personally that I could hear the low end loud and clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rcCUhnIM6g

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 7:39 am    

I'd love to hear this guitar up close, cause it sounds great recorded.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 7:45 am    

Dale Rottacker wrote:
I'd love to hear this guitar up close, cause it sounds great recorded.

Thanks Dale. Maybe if the good Lord is willing I can bring it to the next steel show in Dallas.
Just wanted to say to others that the side camera angle I was forced to use in a pinch made the guitar look only one foot long. It's actually standard size for a pro single neck with a 24" scale.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 3:24 pm    

That sounds really impressive. Is it heavy or relatively light? I once built a guitar that sounded fine but I couldn't lift it Smile

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 3:42 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
That sounds really impressive. Is it heavy or relatively light? I once built a guitar that sounded fine but I couldn't lift it Smile

Thanks! From my experience with Sho-Buds I would say that it is about the weight of a Pro l. Lighter than any D-10 or SD-10 but heavier than all these budget S-10's.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 9:17 pm    

Wise choice in getting you to demo the guitar. The tone is great.

RC

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 1:07 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:

RC

Thank you Rick! I'm sure enjoying your one man band videos. Besides the awesome ability to play all the instruments it looks like an incredible amount of work to make those videos. You make some great country music! My favorite kind.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 7:31 am    

Very nice David and most helpful for those who want to learn this song. All the best.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 8:28 am    

Roy Thomson wrote:
Very nice David and most helpful for those who want to learn this song. All the best.

Thank you Roy. As soon as I can move all my steel guitar building benches out of the way I will set a camera up to better show the neck, frets and pedals.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 2:33 pm    

David Mitchell wrote:
Rick Campbell wrote:

RC

Thank you Rick! I'm sure enjoying your one man band videos. Besides the awesome ability to play all the instruments it looks like an incredible amount of work to make those videos. You make some great country music! My favorite kind.

It is a lot of work, in a way, but once you understand the process it goes pretty fast. I find a shortcut most everytime I do one of these. Usually, I start out with a good song, and by the time I get it finished, I've heard it so many times I'm sick of it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

RC

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 10:12 am    

[quote="Rick Campbell"]
David Mitchell wrote:
Rick Campbell wrote:

RC

Usually, I start out with a good song, and by the time I get it finished, I've heard it so many times I'm sick of it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

RC

I totally know what you mean. By the time I'm finished playing all the parts on a record over and over the song doesn't shine as much as it did the first time I heard it however when it's played back 10 or 20 years later sometimes your own playing makes a pleasant impression on you. Music is like fine wine, it just keeps getting better with age.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 11:55 am    

[quote="David Mitchell"]
Rick Campbell wrote:
David Mitchell wrote:
Rick Campbell wrote:

RC

Usually, I start out with a good song, and by the time I get it finished, I've heard it so many times I'm sick of it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

RC

I totally know what you mean. By the time I'm finished playing all the parts on a record over and over the song doesn't shine as much as it did the first time I heard it however when it's played back 10 or 20 years later sometimes your own playing makes a pleasant impression on you. Music is like fine wine, it just keeps getting better with age.

Yep! One of my problems is that I never know when to say "that's good enough" both in the playing/singing and the mixing. I always think I can do better. I guess I finally get tired and move on. Very Happy More often than not, other people listen and blow right over parts that I grit my teeth on. Sometimes they mention things that I didn't notice. I have to remind myself that I'm not the A Team and I don't have a $$$$$$$ professional studio, but I still want it to be presentable.

RC

Mick OGrady

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 3:59 pm    

Nice tone. Love the song. I ordered their album and it's really nice work. There is a live version of Hickory Wind on Music City roots that is even better than the album rendition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQ7CMJypPg

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2022 4:15 pm    

Excellent!

Possibly my favorite PSG song ever!
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 3:45 am    

Mick and John,. Thank you very much!