The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NorCal steel jam & chris ivey memorial, Sat March 26, 2022
Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2022 4:15 pm    

Hi Jim and Brett, I hope you can make it. Pedal, lap, resonator, all are welcome.

The afternoon jam is going to be a bit of an experiment this first time around so we'll try to err on the side of being a little over-prepared. I'm hoping everyone will think of this as a social event as much as it is a chance to play. Could be a small group, could be a large one, just don't know. So far about 25 have expressed interest but it's unlikely that everyone will make it. Some of the logistics we'll have to work out on the fly, depending on how many show up but I think it will be a lot of fun. We'll be taking notes so it will be easier the next time. There is of course the COVID wildcard too. I think we'll have to wait a bit see if/how that might influence all of this.

I've seen a lot of posts here for jams in various parts of the country, I think most are well established and just list a date, time and place. The jams in Portland they usually post a proposed song list in advance, which seems like a good idea for a diverse group. The number songs we get to will obviously vary depending on the size of the group, probably something like 15-25 tunes is what we'll aim for, but with others in reserve so we can choose them ala carte as we go. For anyone planning to come to the jam, please chime in here with your song ideas.

I'll start with a list of some familiar tunes that I already have BIAB files for. This is not a proposed song list, just some stuff I happen to already have, but let me know what you think of any of these. It's mostly country/country rock/western swing, but other styles are welcome, jazz, Hawaiian, etc. I have lots more, and can certainly generate new ones from scratch, or if anyone has BIAB song files for other tunes that you'd like to share let me know. Some of the files I have are fairly old and a bit rough, collected from various sources. I will go through them to make sure all of what we'll use is consistent, replace the cheesy midi instruments with RealBand instruments, etc.

A Way To Survive
A-11
Above and Beyond
All My Ex's Live in Texas
All of Me
Ashokan Farewell
Blue Bayou
Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
Boot Heel Drag
Bubbles In My Beer
City Lights
Close Up The Honky Tonks
Crazy Arms
Crying My Heart Out Over You
Deep Water
Faded Love
Folsom Prison Blues
Gone, Gone, Gone
Heartaches by the Number
Hey Good Lookin'
I'll Fly Away
Jambalaya
Last Date
My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You
My Window Faces The South
Panhandle Rag
Pick Me Up On Your Way Down
Right or Wrong
San Antonio Rose
She Thinks I Still Care
Silver Wings
Sleepwalk
Someday Soon
Steel Guitar Rag
Swinging Doors
Tennessee Waltz
Time Changes Everything
Truck Driving Man
Wabash Cannonball
Who Were You Thinking Of
You Win Again

Jim Hankins

Yuba City, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2022 2:09 pm    

Hi Ian, that is some song list ! Looks fine, thanks for posting, Jim

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 11:59 am    

Can I post this on the American Music of NorCal Facebook page? Also on Sacramento Western Swing Society - is there a flyer/graphic of some sort?

Looking forward to it!

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 12:25 pm    

Hi Tommy, there is no flyer, it's a bit more casual. I believe Joe Ybarra has already posted an announcement on facebook but I'm not sure to which group, I'm not a facebook user. Maybe try reaching out to Joe on FB, or just post a link to this thread if you like. Joe is a member of the Western Swing Society too, I don't know if he has shared anything there.

I'm starting to worry that this may end up getting too big for the space, but what the heck! Should be fun, hope to see you there.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 11:36 am    

Original post has been updated: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3047942#3047942

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 12:11 pm    

I think I can make this date if y'all have room for one more.
dz

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 1:15 pm    

Dave Zirbel wrote:
I think I can make this date if y'all have room for one more.
dz

Would love to have you join us Dave! I'll save you a spot in the 'Z' section

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2022 1:25 pm    

Quote:
I'll save you a spot in the 'Z' section

Most likely I will be the only one in that section....or at the end of the line....always! LOL!

Thanks!

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 1:44 pm    

Well darn, looks like I’m in the recording studio that weekend and will have to miss the jam Crying or Very sad I can’t really reschedule it because I’m booked up solid for the next several weeks. ( I have over 65 gigs booked already this year)

Hopefully there will be a next time.Sorry to miss this.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2022 2:56 pm    

Dave Zirbel wrote:
...I can’t really reschedule it because I’m booked up solid for the next several weeks. ( I have over 65 gigs booked already this year)...

That's cuz you're a badass Dave! We'll miss you, our loss is their gain. I am hoping we will be doing this again in the not too distant future. Let me know when you're playing up this way.

Eric Duarte

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2022 3:51 pm    

Count me in!

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 10:15 am    

My good friend Joe Ybarra (Sacramento steeler) just gave me a heads up on this get-together.

Sounds like a blast... so far I'm not booked on that Sat. so count me in.

Ian, just a suggestion on procedure.... in past steel jams each player looked at the BIAB listing, and in turn requested one of the songs... that seems to work pretty good.

I've got Jim Barron's BIAB collection on my PC, so if you're looking for something in particular, email me... I've most likely got a copy.

Hey Steve F., guess we were both at the San Jose "church" jam... that was the one upstairs Smile

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 10:42 am    

Hi Dave, I just got off the phone with Joe, I'll be sending you an email shortly. Cool

Also... the evening performance is back on again, OP has been updated: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3047942#3047942

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2022 1:36 pm    

Looks like fun. I'll try to make it. Cool

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2022 3:46 pm    

b0b wrote:
Looks like fun. I'll try to make it. Cool

Would love to have you b0b Very Happy . Dave can't make it so you'd be the one representin' for Sierra. If you do come maybe you can stop by and pick Ross up on the way too!

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2022 11:11 pm    

Looking forward to this steel guitar get together! And looking forward to meeting many of you who I have not met before.

Should be a lot of fun!

Steve French

Roseville CA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2022 7:39 am    

I am still planning to attend, barring any last-minute engagements. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Steve F.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2022 7:45 am    

It's on my calendar. Very Happy

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 8:20 am    

It's coming up this Saturday, March 26, 2022, the Sacramento/NorCal steel jam and chris ivey memorial at The Side Door in Curtis Park, 2900 Franklin Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95818 (the SW corner of Franklin & 4th Ave). See the note below about load-in and parking. The jam will be held from around noon until 4:00 or 5:00 depending on how much energy and enthusiasm there is. Pedal steel, lap steel, dobro, all are welcome. We'll be using Band-In-A-Box tracks through the house PA system, I will have a fairly broad selection of BIAB tracks on hand so I think the plan will be to post a list of tunes that attendees can choose from or vote on. It's looking like we might have a pretty big turnout, which will be fun, but it's a bit of an unknown as to how many tunes we'll actually be able to get to. I'm looking forward to the gathering itself as much the playing, and will be focused first and foremost on keeping everything moving smoothly, directing traffic, etc.

For those of you who want to stick around (or come back), there will be an evening performance around 7:00 hosted by John Green and his band the Sidedooros to remember departed local steel comrade and SGF's favorite antagonist, chris ivey. This will be a free event for all, John says that's how chris would have wanted it. The band will include a handful of chris' local steel buddies as well as several guest performers who worked with chris over the years. It will be fairly loose and informal, music and stories, we'll celebrate the triumphs and the train-wrecks equally! Should be a lot of fun.

LOAD-IN and PARKING: The Side Door is right at the edge of a residential neighborhood so parking is a little sparse right at the venue. There is plenty of parking within the surrounding few blocks, on Franklin Blvd and some of the side streets, so with that in mind we will try to reserve a spot in front of the entrance as a loading zone so folks can drop their gear before parking and won't have to schlep it too far. The entrance we will be using is on the side of the building (yes, the actual Side Door), it's the big blue door facing 4th Ave, next to the barber shop.

Also worth mentioning that there will not be any food or beverages available at the venue, but there is nice little beer garden/pizza place right next door on Franklin (in the same building), another place two blocks up, or you can of course just bring your own provisions.

Feel free to share this with others who may be attending. We're looking forward to seeing some old friends and meeting some new ones, so even if players just want to come, hang out and mingle without bringing their rigs, that's cool too. Looking forward to seeing you all Saturday!

Last edited by Ian Worley on 23 Mar 2022 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 1:59 pm    

Hey Ian -

Looks like you’ve got this thing nailed down - congrats!

What a nice touch: the 7pm concert is a freebie. I’m sure chris would have approved.

Thanks for taking on this large, complicated project all to honor a great spirit and a great steel player. Hope you’ll post some video from the day’s events.

Rock on, steel on, brothers and sisters!

PS whatever happened to that purple Emmons D-10?

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2022 8:31 pm    

Chris made that blue Zum rock.
John

Eric Duarte

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 1:08 pm    

Hi Ian - I can volunteer to help you out with event stuff since I won’t be bringing my gear or playing. Can also help folks carry gear when they load in. I recently broke my left shoulder in January so I can’t carry heavy stuff 2-handed, but my right arm is strong lol. Let me know what you need. Apologies for not reaching out sooner about this.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 2:21 pm    

I see Eric can join me as part of the “walking wounded.” I have had some painful foot issues (along with bum knees - one to be replaced in a few months) but I’m feeling a lot better today so I’m planning on coming. I’m going to keep it light - lap steel and small amp.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 2:29 pm    

Thanks Eric, I'm not really sure what sorts of things we might need help with but I'm sure there will be some stuff. Helping with unloading/loading logistics is a likely one. That might not require much lifting, perhaps just directing traffic, don't want you hurt that shoulder any more!

I'm just working on some pre-event stuff today, haven't had much free time of late, gig tonight, still lots to do...! Thanks again, see y'all tomorrow.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2022 8:01 pm    

That was fun. Thanks for putting it together, Ian.