The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  4 hole bell cranks vs 14 hole bell cranks for Emmons guitar
Jeff Wamble

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 3:17 pm    

I would appreciate any input from players with much more Knowledge than I on this subject. I have recently purchased a short keyhead Emmons with 4 hole bell cranks.Debating wether to switch them out, will it change the feel and tone? Thank you

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 4:09 pm    

It will give you the possibility to better time the pulls, when you pull 2 strings with a pedal, you can more precisely make them start and stop at the same time. If all your raises and lowers start and stop at the same time you don't need them. If the pulls are not timed precisely at this moment, try to correct it with the current bellcranks, if that doesn't work, you may need the 14-hole bellcranks. Tonewise, it won't change anything.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 4:28 pm     4 hole SKH bell cranks

Jeff,

The 4 hole bell cranks have an eccentric with a set screw that accepts the pull rod, which adds a mechanical "moving part". But you have the benefit of adjusting the effective length of the pull rod with the set screw as opposed to having the hook end (fixed length rod) type for the 14 hole.

Obviously the 14 hole bell cranks give you much more finite adjustment / rod placement.

I have used both. When I was working steady I was using a 1981 SKH with 4 hole type. I was perfectly happy with how the guitar felt and played.

For my 2 cents, the 4 hole doesn't limit mechanical feel or action, just specific pull rod location.

When properly installed and adjusted either type bell crank is adequate.

My only complaint ever with the 4 hole cranks, was that they were perhaps too thin and consequently if you "load up" a cross shaft with a lot of pulls such as the RKR, the primary bell crank on the cross shaft would sometimes be stressed. Because of that condition, I doubled up on primary bell cranks to distribute the torque in order to reduce stress on the one single bell crank. I think a lot of Emmons SKH players probably experienced this condition.

I am sure some will argue that the 14 hole method is more beneficial than the 4 hole method.

Either one, for my ears and playability, All Emmons Legrande's are great guitars.

Bottom line for my opinion, I would not bother with switching them out. Buy up a few spares and double up primary bell cranks on cross shafts that have a bunch of pulls.

Legrande changers, adjused properly, are very nice to play. My opinion, the SKH Emmons is one of the finest guitars ever made. Many argue that the SKH is superior. The Two guitars I miss more than any others, 1 is the Arlington MCI D10, 2 is the 1981 Emmons SKH D10.

All the best, Enjoy your SKH!

Bill

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 5:19 pm    

I have seen some 4-hole bellcranks bend and subsequently break because there's relatively little metal surrounding the holes. But only occasionally, and not on any Legrandes I have personally owned.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jeff Wamble

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 6:29 pm    

Thanx guys, this has been very helpful, i appreciate it!

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 7:16 pm    

In general; 14 hole pullers are considered an upgrade. I'd go for it. The way you set them up, or in other words, the competence of the mechanic, will ultimately determine the out come. RP

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 8:19 pm    

If you're not having problems, don't bother.

I don't think you'll notice a benefit that is significant enough to justify the cost & labor of new bell-cranks and pull rods

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 8:55 pm    

Herb, for the record, I had a 14 hole bellcrank break on my 1994 Legrande. It connected the RKR to it's crossshaft. Ron Jr made some 14 hole bellcranks out of machined aluminum, a little than stamp metal ones, so I used one of those as a replacement.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2016 9:16 pm    

Tony Glassman wrote:
If you're not having problems, don't bother.

I don't think you'll notice a benefit that is significant enough to justify the cost & labor of new bell-cranks and pull rods

I would agree. While it may give you a "warm fuzzy", I don't think all the extra work and cost will improve your sound or playing one bit.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2016 11:25 pm     Re: 4 hole bell cranks vs 14 hole bell cranks for Emmons gui

Jeff Wamble wrote:
will it change the feel and tone? Thank you

No, the upgrade would be about timing the pulls where the peds or levers are pulling two or more strings at the same time. . Tone will not change.

I have two 4 hole BC's on my Legrande II as a result of adding a knee lever. I have also seen some L-III's with a few 4 hole BC's on certain pulls as well. Who knows if that was factory or not.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 6:43 am    

My SKH has 4 hole and I wouldn't think of changing them. Don't like any bell crank that has a fixed rod length with the 90 degree bend into bell crank. Cheap way out, of course that's just me. Mine is timed perfect. It's on there if you can find it. No advantage to the 14 hole if you ask me other than being a little easy to time pulls.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2016 7:38 am    

If the guitar plays just fine, take the money you're thinking about dropping on bellcranks and use it to take the endplates to a guy with a wheel for mirror polishing.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2016 12:14 am    

I agree with all the guys above ...you won't hear or feel any difference... just play the thing...great guitars, and there is nothing on that guitar that needs improving or fixing...

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 8:44 am    

I agree a I like the 4 hole cranks.
The rack an Barrel an two hole Sho Bud bell cranks works very good plus
The Emmons Push pull bell cranks work fine.