The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bigsby Special Pedal Steel Guitar... Any information ???
Shane Georges

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 9:04 am    

Greetings,
My grandfather recently passed away. And he was the original owner of a triple neck 8 string Bigsby Special. While I do love music and play guitar and other instruments, I think that taking up the pedal steel guitar at this point in my life is just not going to happen. So, I am going to put in on the market soon. But I was hoping for any information that the steel guitar community could provide to me. The information I have is:

Bigsby Special
Multi-Harp-Triplex
Model B Serial 2720
H. Hise Manufacturing Co.
Chicago, Illinois

This was engraved on the bridge of the middle guitar (it might just have to do with that part of the guitar and not the whole as I did read that Bigsby made bridges for other guitar companies too)

My grandfather's name is engraved on the back of the instrument.

It is a triple neck with each neck having 8 strings
There are 5 pedals and it does come with a case as well

That seems to be all the information I can find on the instrument itself.

Any additional info could help, like what year it was made? What's the approx. value? What's the best way to try to go about selling this? Or anything else useful.

The communities help is greatly appreciated. I can take some pictures (it's in excellent shape although the case does have some wear). But I figured I'd test the waters with this post first. Thanks much

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 9:51 am    

you need to post lots of good pictures if you hope for any info. this is your first post and its about one of the most iconic of collectible steel guitars. naturally you will need to provide pictures so that forum members with any info to share will be inclined to do so.

what was your grandfathers name? most of the bigsby steels are accounted for and documented as to who they were made for and who has had them and who has them now. you may have one that has not been seen for decades. so...pictures please.

Shane Georges

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 10:15 am    

Thanks for the reply Bill. I will put up a few pictures now (not the best quality) but I will get my family member photographer to take better ones when I actually try to sell it as I just have the camera on my phone for these. My grandfather name is Hubert Larson. I didn't quite know how to attach the rods to the pedals to the guitar though.

Shane Georges

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 10:22 am    

Last edited by Shane Georges on 24 Jan 2022 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 11:08 am    

Wow, that looks to be wonderful condition!
What a find.

Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 12:25 pm    

Shane, if you're in central TX, I'd be happy to come set it up for you and try it out!

Shane Georges

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 12:31 pm    

Hello Ethan,
I am in El Paso, Texas so kind of far away. I figured that I just needed to raise the legs to get the rods in place. Gonna plug it in probably this evening. Thanks

Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 1:24 pm    

Shane,
Look on the underside of the guitar on one of the cast endplates, and you will find a serial number which is metal stamped into the aluminum near one of the leg attachment points. The serial number indicates the completion date of the guitar. For example, I have one stamped 112249, which would indicate a completion date of November 22, 1949.
Rich

Shane Georges

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 3:21 pm    

Greetings Rich,

Thanks for your help. I was able to figure out that it was made in May, 15 1957.

Silas Hamilton

Asheville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 3:24 pm    

Somebody has probably told you this, but bigsby’s and especially ones in that kind of condition go for BIG money.

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 4:38 pm    

I'll give you $500.00 bucks but you'll have to through in the case and volume pedal. Laughing I'm just kidding of course. It's a beautiful steel, especially for it's age. I also heard that those kind sold for big money. Good luck with the sale.

Mitch

David Devlin

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 5:39 pm    

Shane

The front of the guitar is where you grandfathers name is. You have the pedal rack on in the wrong direction. The pedals should face inwards and under the guitar. I can send pictures if you need them. That's a beautiful guitar and a piece of history. Should be worth a few dollars particularly in that condition and original owner.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 6:20 pm    

the gadget on the center neck where the words "bigsby special" is....that was probably added later. it is NOT a bigsby product. you can see that the letters are not engraved, they are stamped with machinist letter dies.
my guess is someone added that lettering later.

here is a three neck guitar like yours for
$12,500. give you an idea of what people ask for these. they are for sure one of the most collectible of all steel guitars. https://reverb.com/item/14198869-bigsby-pedal-steel-guitar

Anthony Blair

Oregon/Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 8:15 pm    

The Hise unit was a Bigsby option. It's in his catalog.

Adam Nero

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 5:01 am    

Totally unsolicited advice, but if I were you, I would commit to keeping this for one full year, during which time I’d learn about the history behind this astounding guitar. Then, after learning to fully appreciate the significance of what I was in possession of, I would decide whether to sell.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 5:13 am    

Adam makes a great point...you have a significant piece of steel guitar history.

Ethan Crum

Reno, Nevada
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 5:38 pm    

Hi Shane, I sent you an email. Would love to talk to you about your grandfather's guitar.

Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 9:24 pm    

Adam Nero wrote:
Totally unsolicited advice, but if I were you, I would commit to keeping this for one full year, during which time I’d learn about the history behind this astounding guitar. Then, after learning to fully appreciate the significance of what I was in possession of, I would decide whether to sell.

I agree you can’t unsell the guitar.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 4:43 am    

As far as not selling it, it would be cool to have something vintage that my grandfather (or father) used to play. Keeping it for sentimental reasons is a good reason to keep it. But, If he has no interest in learning to play it, why not sell it? Maybe use the money to buy something he will actually use. People sell really cool stuff on here often to fund other purchases, stuff most of us would rather get stung in the eye by a bee than sell.

Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 9:14 am    

Paul Strojan wrote:
Adam Nero wrote:

I agree you can’t unsell the guitar.

Third this, additionally since this is such a rare desirable steel, the longer you wait, the bigger the buyer $ wise as well.

The longer you keep it the more it will increase in value. So if you're not in dire need of money, it's good to keep around(as long as you can maintain it and keep it in a good location of course!)

Shane Georges

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 11:39 am    

Greetings,
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help and advice. I truly appreciate the pedal steel community's help with this. I think I have most of my questions relatively answered. If and when I decide to go forward with selling it, I will certainly be posting here rather than anywhere else. Thanks again for all your time and energy. Shane

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2022 3:32 pm    

This steel has got me swooning! What a beauty!

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 8:12 am    

Mr. Anthony Blair, Did the option for the Hise Unit appear in a Bigsby catalog. If so, do you an an image of the catalog or can you tell me how I can find it? Thanks in advance for any information or further details on Bigsby and Hise.

Anthony Blair wrote:
The Hise unit was a Bigsby option. It's in his catalog.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 8:54 am     Vintage market

Respectfully , I don’t agree with the notion that the longer you hold on to it , the more it will be worth.

That might be true, but there’s no guarantee. Markets go up AND down.

Often in relation to the economy, but not always. The vintage market does fall or “go soft” as well as rise.

I do agree with the Idea of doing as much research as you can first. You can choose to decline any offer. You can take less, hard to ask for more.

I’ve bought and sold a few vintage steels, but don’t consider myself a collector, or an expert on anything. Just a player who’s watched the market.

Best of luck.

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2022 9:15 am     to sell or keep

Someone said "If you dont fly first class, your children will". If you keep it make sure your kids know all about it so it doesnt go to the garage sale.

I think the letters of "Bigsby Special" stamped on the Triplex comes from the same die set used to stamp the date, and done by P A Bigsby.