The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A decent, cheap steel?
Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 7:20 pm    

I am flying to Florida in April and am resistant to taking my metal dobro or my (borrowed) Rickenbacker panda.

Are there any inexpensive, decent-to-practice-on, 6 string lap steels out there? I don't care about pickups, because it won't be amplified at all. Just something to practice on while traveling. By cheap, I mean under $50 USD.

Thanks.

Edit: as long as I'm asking questions, the case for the Rick panda that I am borrowing is the original, but shot to hell. What do you all recommend for replacements cases? Or, alternately, is the anyone that repairs/reinforces the old cases?

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 7:40 pm    

There is this.
Anything else will require a time machine.
There’s this.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 8:17 pm    

Maybe hit up the resale shop and buy whatever electric guitar the have and slap a Grover nut riser on it. I don't know about near you, but here in Chicago there's a few starter electrics on Craigslist for 50 bucks or less.

I found a First Act discovery with built in amp for 10 bucks at Goodwill. It's not "good" but I suppose it would qualify as "decent to practice on". My daughter likes it, it had a small body and there's a certain charm to the decidedly lo-fi sounds of the crappy onboard amp and speaker. I think there's one on eBay in your price range.

Your best bet though would probably be to drop $100 on a Rogue Lap steel. Not amazing, but at least it's a functional steel that could be a good tinker/upgrade platform in the future and it comes with legs and a pretty good case.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 8:53 am    

Dont overlook the ultimate cheap lap steel. A set of tuners for $20, a piece of 3/4" plywood, a zerox of a fretboard, and two pieces of 1/2" angle aluminium 4" long. A little jig-saw work (or get the store to saw it to size for you), a few holes drilled, a few screws screwed and up and running for well under $50. I'd do it! Whoa!

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 10:27 am    

musician's friend has a stupid deal of the day with a cheap lap steel now and then.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 2:51 pm    

There's a few around 100.00, 50 bux and you gotta get creative, i like the used First Act with a nut riser idea.
This thing would be perfect, if you're the only bidder it'll be within budget too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353869823347?hash=item526448fd73:g:zEgAAOSwXu1h62ag

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 4:28 pm    

If you don’t mind doing some work the CB Gitty kit is actually kinda cool. It’s designed for a 23 inch scale. The rogue is not bad but it’s a really short scale. George boards sells a scale upgrade kit which allows you to make your rogue a more standard 22.5.

If you ever decide to drop a couple hundred more a Melbert is a fantastic choice.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 4:32 pm    

If you have a six-string anything, just add the old-fashioned nut extender.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 4:37 pm    

Glenn Wilde wrote:
There's a few around 100.00, 50 bux and you gotta get creative, i like the used First Act with a nut riser idea.
This thing would be perfect, if you're the only bidder it'll be within budget too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353869823347?hash=item526448fd73:g:zEgAAOSwXu1h62ag

That's the one I have except that mine is bright pink.

If you have Facebook, Facebook marketplace has alot of cheap guitars too.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 4:43 pm    

Daniel McKee wrote:
If you don’t mind doing some work the CB Gitty kit is actually kinda cool. It’s designed for a 23 inch scale. The rogue is not bad but it’s a really short scale. George boards sells a scale upgrade kit which allows you to make your rogue a more standard 22.5.

If you ever decide to drop a couple hundred more a Melbert is a fantastic choice.

Yes!
Most times at home the PSG gets my time but a Melbert is my travel instrument so I don't miss any practice days. Took it to DC for a week and I think it passed as my "personal item" for carry on American.

With the Melbert I feel like there's zero loss of tone (different but not worse) or playability compared to my Encore. I stink at lap steel but the Melbert is a joy to play.

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 5:13 pm    

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I was definitely hoping that whatever I get would go as a carry on. I'd be afraid of breaking the neck on one of those First Acts, but maybe...

But it seems a rogue (or an SX) are the best option for "as is." I've checked Goodwill and ebay. I hadn't thought of FB. Good idea. And maybe I'll throw up something in the wanted section here, too.

Any more ideas? I've still got time to plan.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 7:25 pm    

I know cost is an important thing, but depending on your preference and if you've got experience with a current style PSG...I might go for something with longer scale (SX) over the shorter scale Rogue. You could for sure get an extension nut/fretboard for the Rogue, via Georgeboards, but the default 20" scale is pretty drastically short and spending the money to convert it to 22" will bring it up in cost relatively.

That said, under $50 is an aggressive goal. If that goal is fixed, you might be best finding a castaway standard guitar and just affix an extension bridge. Gonna be hard finding a good steel under that price point, even used, but you might find an unloved fretted guitar...

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 7:59 pm    

I think Nick has right idea if you're ok with 25" scale, an unloved fretted Squire, pawnshops sometimes mark the good ones that shd be $200 used down to around $75 cause they don't know better

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 5:30 pm    

Kinda hard to beat the price on one of these.

Great video btw on the pursuit of tone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02tImce3AE

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2022 7:19 pm    

Not sure how portable that air guitar is, and his pot is already alive budget. Very Happy But it is an interesting experiment and am argument against spending too, too much on an electric.

For what it's worth, it looks like I found a local guy with a rogue to sell. And in my price range! Shocked Maybe I'll splurge and get the George Boards conversion kit. But I'm not counting on it until the guitar is in my hands.

Thanks again for all the input.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 3:11 pm     Re: A decent, cheap steel?

Lloyd Graves wrote:
I am flying to Florida in April and am resistant to taking my metal dobro or my (borrowed) Rickenbacker panda.

Are there any inexpensive, decent-to-practice-on, 6 string lap steels out there? I don't care about pickups, because it won't be amplified at all. Just something to practice on while traveling. By cheap, I mean under $50 USD.

Thanks.

Edit: as long as I'm asking questions, the case for the Rick panda that I am borrowing is the original, but shot to hell. What do you all recommend for replacements cases? Or, alternately, is the anyone that repairs/reinforces the old cases?

Fifty bucks? I've been accused of being tighter than a bulls @$$ in fly time, but I don't think I could pull that one off!

I did however put this together using parts that have laid around my shop forever. It is made from scrap 2 x 4 and stuff just laying around from scrapped out guitars over the years. I had to lay out a few bucks for the pickup,and a bridge plus a couple of rattle cans of paint. About 75 bucks total.

Modeled it after the Monkey Wards Rocket Six from the 50's.

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 3:35 pm    

Buy a $10 nut raise device before you fly and a $40 acoustic guitar after you arrive.

Bingo!

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 3:25 am    

Better yet buy a $100 used lap steel and sell for $100 when you get home.

Lloyd Graves

New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 9:20 am     Re: A decent, cheap steel?

John Drury wrote:
Fifty bucks? I've been accused of being tighter than a bulls @$$ in fly time, but I don't think I could pull that one off!

Actually, looking at Facebook Marketplace, the are a fair number of Rogues for sale. I think that patience will be the key. Very Happy The rogue I was going to buy didn't work out unfortunately - someone got to his door a day before me (darned familial obligations!) but I just keep checking every few days.

I figure that, at worst, I can lug the loaner panda with me again. (Though the are some nice steels in Florida for sale via Craigslist! I could just go the and buy a better steel in person. Very Happy

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 10:48 am     Re: A decent, cheap steel?

Lloyd Graves wrote:
John Drury wrote:

Actually, looking at Facebook Marketplace, the are a fair number of Rogues for sale. I think that patience will be the key. Very Happy The rogue I was going to buy didn't work out unfortunately - someone got to his door a day before me (darned familial obligations!) but I just keep checking every few days.

I figure that, at worst, I can lug the loaner panda with me again. (Though the are some nice steels in Florida for sale via Craigslist! I could just go the and buy a better steel in person. Very Happy

Buying one in person in FL sounds like a nice vacation diversion.