The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gene Hiltz
Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2015 5:16 pm    

I got a chance to listen to Gene tonight. (I hope I spelled his name right) here in Fredonia NY. He plays a Fulkawa and he plays the heck out of it.

rc

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina

Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 8:16 am     Gene Hilts ...

Gene has been playing the pedal steel guitar for ions. He is a great player who gets some of the "biggest" chords I have ever heard. He is undoubtedly one of the nicest human beings you will ever meet - bar none. He will go way out of his way to help another musician however he can. He once told me a story about getting home from a job and being very tired and sore. He said he went and got his garden tractor and hooked it to a small utility trailer. He set his still set up Fulawka on the trailer to carry it up to the house. It accidentally flipped off onto the ground leaving a large gash across the front apron. I was just curious as to whether he had that fixed yet. I am sure if you talked to Gene he would have had some great stories to tell you. He is a true promoter of the steel guitar and country music in general. I am glad you got to hear him play, especially his rendition of "Yellow Bird" he is known for. I have done twin steels with Gene and when he played that song, I just set quietly watching. There was no way was I gonna touch that master piece. lol. Best Regards and say Hi to Gene for me if you see him again. He is one of the best.

Tom Wroblewski

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 2:26 pm    

I'm a new pedal steel novice, at 70 years old...I live around Arcade NY,..and after I got my sho bud LDG,..I asked around if there were any pedal steel players in the area..several people told me about Gene Hilts..so I looked him up and explained my yearning to try to learn how to play, and he happened to have a gig nearby...so I went to meet him, and hear his band, The Rustic Ramblers,..and was amazed...place was packed with great people,..almost everyone dancing to every tune..Gene was incredible and I couldnt wait to meet him...during their break,..I introduced myself as the guy who called him..and as he spoke,..I felt like we were old friends...Gene and his wife came over to my place to check out my sho-bud and help me set it up...I cant say enough about this amazing player and how he loves his music and loves to share his knowledge with new and ols players alike....I highly recommend that if you are in the area to check out the Rustic Ramblers,..you will not be disappointed!...