The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 CEGACE on Six Strings; Still Don’t Like it
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 12:07 pm    

Since I like my 7 string C6 so much, I decided to base my 6 string version on it, from low to high rather than high to low.

So on 7 strings it's G C E G A C E
And on 6 strings it's G C E G A C

The seven string is a much better all around tuning, given that it is the standard C6 with a low G added for string 7.

My six strings are used only for blues jamming, and this low tuned version is perfect for that. There are probably better blues tunings, but having the same tuning setup on all my lap steels makes it a lot easier to go back and forth between them.

EDIT (January 23)
That low C6 was a bit too low on top, so bumped up to D6; A D F# A B D, which is actually a fairly typical tuning. I just can’t find a 6 string version of C6 that works for me.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 8:43 am    

I also find the standard 6th to get in the way, that's why I came up with this one:

g D E G# B E

Low to high, with a re-entrant minor 3rd (6th) in the bass string position.

Still have a 6th chord (E G B), but it's out of the way, I tend to see this as more of an E7 tuning with an minor 3rd option.

I would REALLY appreciate some feedback on this tuning, it works well for me. I'm curious how other folks might think. The E6 grip is a bit awkward, but I'm not playing a ton of western swing style, and often if I want to add a 6th I do it with a behind the bar pull on the B string.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 9:14 am    

Matt Berg wrote:
I also find the standard 6th to get in the way, that's why I came up with this one:

g D E G# B E

Low to high, with a re-entrant minor 3rd (6th) in the bass string position.

Still have a 6th chord (E G B), but it's out of the way, I tend to see this as more of an E7 tuning with an minor 3rd option.

I would REALLY appreciate some feedback on this tuning, it works well for me. I'm curious how other folks might think. The E6 grip is a bit awkward, but I'm not playing a ton of western swing style, and often if I want to add a 6th I do it with a behind the bar pull on the B string.

I like it! For a while I was using a similar tuning on my 7-string, f D A D F# A D. I even started a thread here on tunings that include both the major and minor 3rds. I eventually learned to embrace the 6th, so even though I can’t find a 6 string C6 that I like, I’m enjoying my seven string version with the bigger bottom (GCEGACE), and the version of D6 (ADF#ABD) that I’m using on my six-string.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 10:57 am    

I changed my 8 string to A6 and love the sound better than C6.