The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Console Grande Leg Mods
Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2022 7:13 am    

I have this Gibson Console that I restored a few years back. The legs use the bayonet system that Gibson had back then. Terrible way to mount legs. Very very wobbly. I stashed the original legs away and made new ones that screw in using the original mounts. I bought 3 lengths of 3/4 diameter steel tubing. I also bought 3 nuts and 3 bolts. I rounded the bolt heads to fit into the steel tube and epoxied then in place. I then rounded the nuts to fit inside the top of the leg mount and epoxied them in. The reason for epoxy is that I did not have to alter the original leg mount as they are irreplaceable, and the modification is reversible. Apply heat to the mount and the epoxy will melt. A little clean up and all is original. This mod worked very well. I was also able to cut the tubing to lower the height of the guitar to where I'm comfortable playing it. Now I have legs that look original but screw in and are stable. This is an inexpensive project. Cost was around $50.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 9:32 am    

Nicely done, nice guitar. Good on you to preserve originality, but I can't imagine why anybody would want to go back to the original legs. My '54 seems to have come with 4 screw-in legs/mounts, much better, although some might prefer they'd stuck with only 3. Love my GCG, my all time favorite guitar.

Kevin Glandon

New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 10:51 am    

Hi Brad. Agreed that four legs are better/more stable. My unit did not come like that from the factory. Later models did. They also came with adjustable legs like Fenders at a later date. Many people converted these guitars to four ladjustable legs. One of those folks was Don Helms himself. I’m happy with the stock configuration sans the bayonet system. This is why I’ve made these new legs that now screw in.