The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New National Tricone squareneck vs vintage?
Dennis Waltman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 6:26 am    

Ryan,
A few years back I bought a 1937 Style 1.5 German silver square neck tricone and I also owned a new National Tricone square neck as well. The new one was steel body construction and hollow neck. I felt that the materials (German silver vs steel) gad a larger impact than the hollow neck difference. I sold the new one as the steel body was too brash as compared to the vintage German silver which was much smoother and pleasant to my ear. PM me if you are in SE WI and want to try mine.

Veit Doehler

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 8:13 am    

I bought a 1.5 with a wooden squarneck about 10 years ago. Then last year I was offered a 1928 1. Compared them both directly and was seriously disappointed by the 28 model. Didn't want to fumble around with cones etc, so I gave it back.The sound and the workmanship on the metal parts of the wood-neck model are good, but the quality of the lacquer on the neck is plainly lousy, it developed blisters shortly after I received it. And the case is plainly ridiculous. Completely out of balance and because of poor construction doesn't even close completely. So my feelings for National are very mixed ones. If I would order another one, it would be one of those Czech clones.

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 12:38 pm    

Veit Doehler wrote:
I bought a 1.5 with a wooden squarneck about 10 years ago. Then last year I was offered a 1928 1. Compared them both directly and was seriously disappointed by the 28 model. Didn't want to fumble around with cones etc, so I gave it back.The sound and the workmanship on the metal parts of the wood-neck model are good, but the quality of the lacquer on the neck is plainly lousy, it developed blisters shortly after I received it. And the case is plainly ridiculous. Completely out of balance and because of poor construction doesn't even close completely. So my feelings for National are very mixed ones. If I would order another one, it would be one of those Czech clones.

Unfortunately, National had some bad lacquer around 2008-09 (if I remember the dates correctly), that blistered and chipped away.

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 4:36 am    

Well I just purchased a 1929 Style 1. I ended up paying a lot more than the $2500 I was hoping to pay! Supposedly it is all original and in good shape. Hopefully it sounds good. It turned out that the other two cheaper Tricones that I was interested in had issues. Plus, one had already sold. So, it was no longer available anyway. I am excited for it to arrive. But, I am a little nervous that it will have issues. I am also going to have to sell another guitar of mine (my all time favorite guitar!) to offset the cost. So, I am a little sad about that. But, I have really fallen in love with prewar Hawaiian steel guitar. So, I am hoping it will be worth it.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 9:37 am    

OK...now you will want to get this book to learn what you've got and find out more about it - this is the standard book for it, and all things National:

https://www.amazon.com/History-Artistry-National-Resonator-Instruments/dp/0931759706/ref=asc_df_0931759706/

The History and Artistry of National Resonator Instruments Paperback – May 1, 1993
by Bob Brozman (Author)

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 6:16 pm    

David Ball wrote:
I've had quite a few Nationals over the years, Style 1, 2 and 4 among tricones. Don't know why I never got a 3...

Anyway, the best sounding tricone I've ever had is one that was allegedly made in France in the 20's. I got it in pieces and put a set of National cones and a National bridge in it. Amazing guitar. The square neck has a hollowed out place to fit over the player's leg. It weighs a lot more than a National--much thicker metal. Sure sounds great.

An odd thing about this one--the back of the body is steel. Everything else (including the back of the neck) is fairly heavy gauge brass or german silver. Still much heavier gauge than Nationals. I really wonder about that steel back though. Great sounding guitar regardless.

Dave

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 7:37 pm    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
OK...now you will want to get this book to learn what you've got and find out more about it - this is the standard book for it, and all things National:

https://www.amazon.com/History-Artistry-National-Resonator-Instruments/dp/0931759706/ref=asc_df_0931759706/

The History and Artistry of National Resonator Instruments Paperback – May 1, 1993
by Bob Brozman (Author)

I actually already own a copy of that book. Unfortunately, the print is very light and hard to read. It appears that it was printed right before the printer ran out of ink! I may have spring for another copy that was printed better.

Last edited by Ryan Matzen on 1 Feb 2022 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2022 7:50 pm    

David Ball wrote:
David Ball wrote:
I've had quite a few Nationals over the years, Style 1, 2 and 4 among tricones. Don't know why I never got a 3...

Anyway, the best sounding tricone I've ever had is one that was allegedly made in France in the 20's. I got it in pieces and put a set of National cones and a National bridge in it. Amazing guitar. The square neck has a hollowed out place to fit over the player's leg. It weighs a lot more than a National--much thicker metal. Sure sounds great.

An odd thing about this one--the back of the body is steel. Everything else (including the back of the neck) is fairly heavy gauge brass or german silver. Still much heavier gauge than Nationals. I really wonder about that steel back though. Great sounding guitar regardless.

Dave

It sure is cool looking.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2022 3:40 am    

Ryan Matzen wrote:
Well I just purchased a 1929 Style 1. I ended up paying a lot more than the $2500 I was hoping to pay! Supposedly it is all original and in good shape. Hopefully it sounds good. It turned out that the other two cheaper Tricones that I was interested in had issues. Plus, one had already sold. So, it was no longer available anyway. I am excited for it to arrive. But, I am a little nervous that it will have issues. I am also going to have to sell another guitar of mine (my all time favorite guitar!) to offset the cost. So, I am a little sad about that. But, I have really fallen in love with prewar Hawaiian steel guitar. So, I am hoping it will be worth it.
Congrats (hopefully), i missed the window of $1500.00 Tricones by a couple months, i was watching a couple in serviceable condition around that price but by the time i was ready, they were gone. I ended up buying a very nice Republic, i got a roundneck and use an extender, i did this because i knew i still would have to own a vintage hollow neck Tri someday.

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 3:57 am    

Glenn Wilde wrote:
Ryan Matzen wrote:
Congrats (hopefully), i missed the window of $1500.00 Tricones by a couple months, i was watching a couple in serviceable condition around that price but by the time i was ready, they were gone. I ended up buying a very nice Republic, i got a roundneck and use an extender, i did this because i knew i still would have to own a vintage hollow neck Tri someday.

I wish they were $1500! Seems like Stye 1’s without issues that aren’t that beaten up are around $5000 now!

Ryan Matzen

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2022 2:53 pm    

In case anyone is interested, l was just told the following by someone who works at a shop that stocked a large number of new hollow neck Tricones: “I think the squareneck versions…solid wood neck rather than hollowneck…sound better and have improved sustain and more rich harmonic content. The hollownecks are quite thin sounding. Very cool to look at but offer less tonally than a (wood) squareneck tricone would”

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2022 4:31 pm    

I have a late 20s metal square neck tricone, and also a newish Mahogany National tricone with a wood square neck, and the new one is what I play the most. for the music that I write its probably my favorite reso.

Here's a link:

https://youtu.be/b72_sjTyZJU

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2022 4:06 pm    

Nice singing and playing, Dan! I really like the tone of that one. I've become interested in getting a tri- cone but can't really afford the vintage Nationals or the new ones! Most of the import brands seem to be fairly scarce right now.Mad