The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Power Strip on Steel Guitar Seats.
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 2:02 pm    

I really thought I'd like having the power strip on my steel seat. However, after getting a newer seat that had one installed it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth at the time. It's a great idea but the chords being wrapped up under the seat was such an annoying task, especially at the end of the night when your tearing down your equipment. I mean what, with working it around the legs, then trying to get the legs folded up right seemed daunting.

The switch on my power strip broke from moving the seat around over the years, So I took the switch out and installed a 115v chord receptacle. I can now just unplug the power chord roll it up, put it in the seat and fold up the legs without having to work around the old power chord. A messy several minute job can now be done in less than 30 seconds. For me this works out sooo much better so I thought I'd pass the idea around in the event anyone out there feels the same way. I still think the power strip was a great idea, I just tweaked it a little to make it easier to use. I use it all the time now.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 6:21 pm    

Barry, the mod was a good improvement. I personally never wanted a power strip on my seat and opt for a couple in my bag. I try to keep all the cords away from my feet because I end up tangled and damaging something.

Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 7:46 pm     Power Strip

Larry, Also one of the reasons I stopped using the power strip. Now, all I really ever plug into the strip is my volume pedal, effects and amp if it’s close enough. It’s become a habit to always exit my seat towards my left to avoid all those cables. But I get where you feels it’s a nuisance.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 8:29 pm    

I would rather just have an extension chord. If someone wants to help you wrangle your equipment. They can roll up and secure your extension chord while you are tearing down and casing your guitar.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 12:53 am    

Like you I always thought a strip on your seat was a good idea. In fact, I built my own seat and had intended to build it into the lower edge of the rear panel. I though that if it were mounted on outside surface it would get damaged. However, I couldn't make it work without interfering with the folding legs so never did implement it.
Great idea with the IEC320 inlet in place of the power cord.
Something about an "electric chair" disturbs my sensibilities though.
I always carry a small strip now. I've unintentionally donated a couple to the venues I've played at. Kinda like guitar stands which I've managed to spread all over the state of VT unintentionally.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 3:10 am    

From an electronics tech (ex amp tech) I don't like the ones used. Number 1 reason, they are not surge protector type and that's the only type I'll use (and a good quality $$ model). Second if/when there is a power surge, and many times you don't know it the surge protector, in most cases, is done for. It still works as a power strip but the protection can be lost. Never buy a used surge protector. I replace my surge protector annually, "just in case", a relatively cheap investment.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 8:05 am    

I prefer the reel type power strip (readily available at Lowes). Rather than the tedious task of winding the cord at the end of the evening, a few turns on the crank and you are done. An additional plus is that you only need release as much cord as you need to reach the power source avoiding extra cable on the floor (one less thing to risk tripping over). My routine is to plug in my amp, pedal board, etc. and then place the strip under my seat and out of harm's way.

Samuel Phillippe

Douglas Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 9:37 am    

With you on this Dave. During the warmer weather I play a lot outside and the roll up extension chord with quad recepracles does a great job, especialy when breaking down.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 2:31 pm    

I've only used it for rehearsals, but I really like the build in strip on my Steelers Choice. I find it very handy to plug everything in right next to me and not have to carry a separate strip. Never felt that the wrapping and unwrapping of the cord was a hassle.

Chicago Valley Railroad. Trainspotting and Bargain Hunting...
https://chicagovalleyrailroad.blogspot.com/

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2022 4:06 pm    

My Steelers Choice is cut down and replaced with only the male receptacle end and about one foot of cord out of the strip. I then, just plug the other extension (which now has both male/female ends on it) under the seat and into an outlet. I like having all my gear plugged into the same strip. Often times I have a power conditioner/surge protector from the main power source.