The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  compressors
Bradshaw Pack

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 8:19 pm    

I still have not found the right compressor to use with the steel guitar. I have tried a few but with no real luck. I know that this is an ongoing issue with many players and so I am just putting it our there to anyone seeing this: what compressor do you feel passionately about? The Wampler Ego? Strymon Compadre?

Thank you in advance for weighing in on this topic.

Bradshaw

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 8:48 pm    

If you haven't found the right one and you're committed to one, it's worth it to develop the sound you want to make- borrow anything you can or rent from L & M. I don't know any professional players that use them live, and I don't know any that don't have it somewhere in the chain or the control room at some point when recording. You'll get a lot of folks here talking about volume pedals doing a compressor's job, but they're different tools in a performance vs. mix context. Since you're in BC, check out Union Tube & Transistor's LAB pedal- it's great, canadian made, with a useable range for contemporary steel pickups. It also sounds great live with solid state amps with the compression dialed out.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 9:39 pm    

I do not play without one, it give me a more even-dynamic sound. I use the OptiComp in the Zoom MS50g. There are others in there but this one does not compress as much and adds lots of sustain.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2022 5:31 am    

Don't know what "passionately" has to do in/with electronics, but the BOSS LMB-3 is the only stomp-box size compressor I have found, and tested, that deserves a permanent place (as 1st stage buffer/EQ/compressor) in my sound-chains for steel guitar.

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2022 6:10 am    

I know it's pricey but the Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe is fantastic for steel. It has a mix control so you can dial in as much of the compressed signal as you want.

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper