The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Woody Woodell
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 8:08 am    

From"Music Row"...

WOODY WOODELL, 91, died Dec. 2.
Steel guitarist who toured with top country stars in 1960s. Also owned Benchcraft Electronics in Goodlettsville. (Full name: Melyear S. Woodell).

Here is a link to Woody's obituary in the"Tennessean"...

https://www.tennessean.com/obituaries/ten214386

I had no idea Woody had passed...I hadn't seen him in years.

Rest easy, my friend...

SH

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 9:34 am     Woody

Boy Steve, that is sad to hear. It has been months since I corresponded with Woody. He was a great guy, and very knowledgeable about many things. I learned how to build cases when I worked for him down at Hooper Trunk years ago, and his love of the old jazz guitarists got me listening to them when I worked there. A lot of great memories I'll never forget. RIP my old friend.

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2021 10:30 am     His brother just passed as well ...

His brother, Lowery Woodell, who lived here in Macon passed away on November 21st. He talked a lot about Woody and was so proud of him.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 6:22 am     Re: Woody

Roy Peterman wrote:
Boy Steve, that is sad to hear. It has been months since I corresponded with Woody. He was a great guy, and very knowledgeable about many things. I learned how to build cases when I worked for him down at Hooper Trunk years ago, and his love of the old jazz guitarists got me listening to them when I worked there. A lot of great memories I'll never forget. RIP my old friend.

Roy,Woody loved Johnny Smith...I'm sure he played you that interview more than once!

I used to spend the day with Woody whenever possible...he was one of a kind!

SH

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 7:21 am    

Woody reconed a couple of JBL speakers for me and in talking with him I learned an awful lot about vintage speakers. When I was looking for someone to do some reconing I was told that he was the "go to person" for this and they were right. He did great work. Rest in peace Woody.

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2021 11:41 am    

Sure hurts my heart to read this. Woody built about 4 cases for me. Each time I went to his shop in Millersville to place an order or to pick up my order, I was there a minimum of 2 hrs. You simply couldn't walk away from his stories nor his knowledge.

He was a fascinating individual with a humility you don't often find in folks with that much in their heads.

Rest in peace my friend.....

Joe Rogers

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 6:40 am    

Joe Rogers wrote:
Sure hurts my heart to read this. Woody built about 4 cases for me. Each time I went to his shop in Millersville to place an order or to pick up my order, I was there a minimum of 2 hrs. You simply couldn't walk away from his stories nor his knowledge.

He was a fascinating individual with a humility you don't often find in folks with that much in their heads.

Rest in peace my friend.....

Joe Rogers

Joe,if you remember,I bought one of those cases from you in 1994...it was an amp case for a NV 400,and was a thing of beauty-absolutely as small dimensionally as it could be and still hold the amp!It lasted through 19 years worth of Randy Travis tours and for 8 years afterward...I just sold it this year...except for being a little dirty and having my name stenciled on it, it still looked great and I wouldn't hesitate to send an amp around the world in it...I spent MANY days at WW's shop just hanging out,and I always learned something...I met Woody when I was 12 years old-he owned a music store in Macon,and I later played with many musicians who knew and worked with him...he will be missed for sure!

SH

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 7:10 am    

RIP Woody. Guys like Woody make life so much better for guys like us. Went way above and beyond. I didn't know Woody but was told many things about him.

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 7:47 am    

Steve, just this morning I was wondering what I did with that amp case....LOL...!!! Mystery solved...LOL!! Your memory is much better than mine...you even remember the year..!! LOL!

I'll never forget the time I bought my first Franklin steel. I looked cross-eyed at that case telling myself under my breath that case would not hold up. It turned out to be a diamond in the rough. Vulcanized fiber is the best combination of durability and lightweight.

I tell every steel player who will listen to me to get a fiber case made for their seat. Not only will the seat look like brand new 50 years down the road (and I am not exaggerating), but the case makes a PERFECT amp stand. Anyone who carries an amp stand to the gig is doing extra work...

That's awesome that you have known him that long....I really wish I had spent more time with him...

Joe

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 8:32 am    

A unique first name, "Melyear".

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2021 4:48 pm    

Sad to hear this. Woody was definitely one of the good ones and also one of a kind. RIP my friend.
Melbert 8, Remington S8, Silk 6 string, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Prestige Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'

Kevin Rickert

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2022 8:40 am     RIP Woody

I remember showing up for a job when I first came to town and Woody setting up. The guitar player cancelled so they called Woody and we played side by side all night and had a big time. Great guy and great player,RIP.

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2022 2:05 pm    

Sad to hear. I hadn't seen Woody in years but back in the day, he was the man for speaker recones and cases.
RIP Woody

Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 7:14 pm    

He was a knowledgeable fellow!

I never had the chance to have him work on my stuff, but her certainly gave great advice. There’s not many of the old school tech guys like him around.

Dang!