The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Johnny Fields D12 Emmons
Jack Selover

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 11:47 am    

I worked with Johnny a number of times...
I worked with him at the 505 in Des Moines and when Ronnie Fiscal got a band together for DJ Mike Hoyer at WHO he also hired Johnny to play steel and spanish guitar (John had a Fender) .....
I could tell stories all day long about Johnny Fields..But one thing I don't think most people know is that Johnny was also a successful song writer ......I was driving him to work one night (in 1963) at the 505 and Mel Tellis came on the radio with "Roses Are Red" Violets Are Blue and Johnny said (to no one in particular) "thank you" then went on to explain he co-wrote the song and that everytime his song was played on the radio he got a small residual every time it was played....
That was the first time I had ever heard of that....
Before tuners became common, John used to tune ALL the instruments in the band so they'd all be tuned by the same "ear."
John was 'one of a kind' .....
Jack Selover

Ray Riley

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 12:29 pm     Well I'll be

Did hell freeze over. Jack My dear friend it is about time these guys heard from you. You have been working on a book for 35 years, and if you don't hurry up I will die before it's done. love ya pal Raymond Joseph Riley JR. Jack plays DRUMS, guitar,bass, and Mary.

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 1:39 pm    

Please keep the interesting Johnny Fields stories coming. Thanks again for all who have chimed in.

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2009 6:22 am     hi dave

I bought s tuner from you some long time back.
I did this behind the bar thing some when I played on the Hayride in 1949, behind Sammy , but have not done it in recent years just forgot about it. May try it again.

ernie

Jack Selover

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2009 2:03 pm     Little Known Facts About Country Music

At this time I am eagerly waiting for the final manuscript from Walt Trott on my book "Little Known Facts About Country Music." Walt is my publisher and editor and I've been told Walt goes over the books he edits with a fine tooth comb, so I want him to take all the time he wants to......

Walts credits are impecable. He is still the editor of the Nashville Musicians Local 275 newspaper and was the entertainment editor for Stars and Stripes in Europe....

After 35 years of research I still find a mistake here and there but worked hard to make sure every bit of information was verified, checked and rechecked....

I've been in contact and working with Ms. Ruth White who has been active in the music business for many years and her husband was a song plugger and Hank Snows steel player....

There are over 600 paragraphs of information is this book .....

I know a lot of you who have also been associated with this thing we love and call counrty music will find the book interesting and informative.....

I'm Jack Selover and can be reached at
Johnselover@sbcglobal.net

Thanks

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 7:17 am     nut pu

I put a pick up at the nut on one of my guitars and ran it thru a second amp. It gives a counter point to what you play on the regular pick up. Sounded really cool in some keys but really bad in some keys. I took it off, it was too weird for some of the singers.

Doug

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 8:04 am    

Doug, the nut pickup does need to used sparingly. Great for certain effects etc. but awful for some other things. I'm still experimenting with it.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 2:20 pm     Re: Johnny Fields

Jack Selover wrote:
John was 'one of a kind' ...

My sentiments exactly. I knew Johnny Fields, although not well. I ran into him from time to time at both Rog Suneson's and Clem Schmitz's establishments, and provided transportation for him at times, since the State of Minnesota wisely would not issue him a drivers license. John worked for years as an engineer at KSTP radio/television on the border of Mpls & St Paul, and rode the bus most everywhere he went.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2022 10:36 pm    

I remember that guitar. Buddy loaned it to me for a while when he was done playing with it.

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 3:57 am    

Hi Johnny, so Buddy Emmons ordered this guitar but decided not to keep it? That's the story I heard. He got it after the basket weave S12 used on the "rainbow" album and let Mr. Fields buy it?
I think it had 10knees and 10 pedals on it when I got it. I redid the undercarriage to 9&9 like my other D12's. It's a heavy beast!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 4:46 am    

Dave Ristrim wrote:
Hi Johnny, so Buddy Emmons ordered this guitar but decided not to keep it? That's the story I heard. He got it after the basket weave S12 used on the "rainbow" album and let Mr. Fields buy it?

I'm fairly certain Johnny Fields purchased the guitar from Clem Schmitz when Clem had his store on West Lake Street in Minneapolis during the late '70s or early '80s. Clem's sticker is shown in this thread's original photo on the pedalbar beneath the first pedal. Most likely Clem got the guitar from Buddy, as they were friends. Ernie Renn would most likely know.

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 5:37 am    

Ah, that makes sense. I left the sticker on the pedal bar and the name on the front to keep the history intact. I may sell it as I don’t use it much anymore.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2022 7:24 am    

Mike Cass wrote:
What I remember about that guitar was when Johnny had E write his name on the keyhead endplate with an electric pencil at a show that Clem Schmitz put on in Mpls.

As Mike knows, Clem brought Buddy up to the Twin Cities a number of times before he -- and a large segment of the Mpls/St Paul steel community (Mike included) -- decamped to Nashville. In at least one of those shows at the Golden Valley House, John played bass in the pickup band that backed Buddy on his Fender Bass VI. In addition to his strong opinions and seldom mincing his words, Johnny Fields was a helluva musician.

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2022 10:51 am    

Another very audible track that " ascending/ descending " lick can be heard is the white album on the song "Top Heavy" That He & Jimmie Crawford wrote